Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well Autumn as a whole has turned out just average and slightly dry November not mild enough to swing it round. November itself was 2nd joint warmest by day and a very wet month. It was also the windiest since I started averaging windspeed from 2002

Posted

Looks like the end result here is a dry and rather dull autumn with temperatures just above average, the cool September being more than offset by a very mild November - see http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html

In the meantime, any bets for where the dullest place was in the UK in November (in terms of sunshine of course :) )?  Reading's 18.4 hours for the entire month must take some beating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Huge temperature differences over the UK tonight 14c in London and other parts of the south with some rain whilst in the north its widely 1c to 3c and dry

2353w6453.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

A mixed autumn here - a very enjoyable October sandwiched between a nondescript September and a very dull, wet November.  I'm actually surprised November hasn't broken any rainfall records but it seems the worst has been held out here towards the west - the Reading link posted above by Stargazer shows below average rainfall for November: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html

This is backed up by the Met Office blog post Summer Sun mentioned - http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/11/27/warm-november-on-course-to-equal-record-in-england/ - which shows the highest rainfall in N England and S Scotland; I'm surprised we're not higher here in SW Wales but the last week will certainly have added to the total.  It has been very dull here too, but the sunshine total may have been boosted by the first couple of days of November here with the unsettled weather not kicking in until 3rd.

It would have been nice to have seen more frost weather this autumn but from a personal perspective I have just converted my garden shed into an office and so the mild November has helped keep down the heating bill!

Edited by virtualsphere

Posted

Absolutely awful autumn. Horrible cold, grey rubbish for most of September then an anticyclonic spell in which it was gloriously sunny during the week but grey and miserable at the weekend, followed by mild muck for most of the second half of the season.

Just one sunny Saturday the whole season which as dire as I can ever remember. Two disastrous cold spells in November that saw the temperature fail to go below freezing even with clear skies and snow on the ground.

Still green leaves on some trees which bears testimony as to how dreadful it has been :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted

I, too, would be very surprised if some rainfall records haven't fallen this November. We have been hammered round here, yet no real mention of it on the news. Also very surprised to see Reading at around 50mm and below average, we probably had more than that here today alone.

Good riddence to a vile month, hoping December offers a bit more in the way of sunshine and dryness...but not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Posted

Slightly drier than normal here too at about 70mm with frequent drizzle/light rain spread through the month. For such a horribly dull month it could have at least tried to have some slightly interesting rain/wind events.

Good riddance November and Autumn 2015.

Posted
14 hours ago, March Blizzard said:

I, too, would be very surprised if some rainfall records haven't fallen this November. We have been hammered round here, yet no real mention of it on the news. Also very surprised to see Reading at around 50mm and below average, we probably had more than that here today alone.
Good riddence to a vile month, hoping December offers a bit more in the way of sunshine and dryness...but not holding my breath.

Yes, it has been a rather dry month here in Reading, but it didn't seem like that - I think it's just because the rain has been lighter than usual, not that it hasn't spent much time raining.  We have had very little heavy rain, just endless days of grey skies and patchy light rain and drizzle, and have missed out on the worst of the storms.  The remarkable statistic here is the lack of sunshine - just 18 hours for the entire month.  It'll be interesting to find out where the dullest area of the country has been in the last month - the Thames Valley must be up there.

Posted
21 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

My summary would be:

September: The only interesting statistic is that it was the coolest since 1993, other than that it was a rather uninteresting month. Daying that, the 6th-10th (whilst I was on holiday in Cornwall) were glorious, with temperatures in the low twenties with near wall-to-wall sunshine.

October: A very pleasant start and finsh sandwiched between a very non-descript middle. The 1st and the 2nd had some brilliant sunshine, again with temperatures in the high teens.

November: The most was the 1st-2nd November (19C, with fog clearing to sunshine on the 1st), as the broke the November record. The 10th was another briilliant day (17C and sunny). Even with the cloudiness, it has been a fantastic month, as it has had it's fair share of Alantic gales too, especially Storm Clodagh yesterday.

Highlight of autumn 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdot0sjVE8

I don't want to  be seen as nitpicking Scott but I have peculiar memory that seems to latch onto things but I recall you saying your perfect autumn includes a cold snowy November and that rain and gales in Autumn were vile. Seems to contradict what you were saying last year. 

Edited by Weather-history
Correction
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, knocker said:

Its been the 3rd warmest November on record for the UK.

Met nov.png

2015_11_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2015_11_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

And, if the remainder of December is anything like today (14C and wall-to-wall sunshine) who knows what'll happen next?

• Like 2

Posted

A miserable 18.4 hours of sunshine recorded at Reading University for the whole of November.  It'll be interesting to find out if anywhere else was duller*.

*Edit: excluding one or two very dark grey spots (<15 hours) in the Scottish highlands that I noticed on the map, of course.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
23 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

A miserable 18.4 hours of sunshine recorded at Reading University for the whole of November.  It'll be interesting to find out if anywhere else was duller*.

*Edit: excluding one or two very dark grey spots (<15 hours) in the Scottish highlands that I noticed on the map, of course.

Yeah really was a rather dull and unsettled november, infact i can remember one day where we had about 6 hours of sunshine, thats almost 1/3 of the monthly sunshine count in 1 go.  

Posted
23 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Yeah really was a rather dull and unsettled november, infact i can remember one day where we had about 6 hours of sunshine, thats almost 1/3 of the monthly sunshine count in 1 go.  

We didn't even manage that :wallbash: The sunniest day gave us less than 4 hours of sunshine.  The sunshine graph (courtesy of the university's weather station) says it all.

sunshineNov15.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

We didn't even manage that :wallbash: The sunniest day gave us less than 4 hours of sunshine.  The sunshine graph (courtesy of the university's weather station) says it all.

sunshineNov15.png

Handy Graphic. Already todays sunshine will have improved our chances of more sunlight in December haha.

• Like 1

Posted

Very wet in parts of South Scotland, North/NW England, and North Wales

Anomaly: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/11/2015_11_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Actual: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/11/2015_11_Rainfall_Actual.gif

Slightly drier than normal here (blandest month ever). 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, knocker said:

Its been the 3rd warmest November on record for the UK.

Met nov.png

Between 1910 and 1925 you could expect a sub-3C November every 5 years or so - and then none since!  Rather than a gradual trend towards warmth, quite a dramatic turn away from cold Novembers from 1925, then a fairly static period, and then a dramatic lurch to warmth from 1994 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Warm and dull November

Provisional statistics show that November 2015 was the dullest on record and also quite warm.

Provisional statistics show that for the UK, November has been the dullest on record with figures going back to 1929, and the dullest month since January 2013. Only 36.6 hours of sunshine were recorded, which is 64% of the long term average (1981-2010).

• Wales was particularly cloudy, recording only 32.5 hours of sunshine, making it the dullest on record too.
  • England recorded 38 hours of sunshine, making it the second dullest on record behind 1934 (37.3 hours).
  • Scotland (35.1 hours) and Northern Ireland (38.4 hours) faired better compared to average (77 % and 71 % of average respectively).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/November-stats?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Posted
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:
Warm and dull November

Provisional statistics show that November 2015 was the dullest on record and also quite warm.

Provisional statistics show that for the UK, November has been the dullest on record with figures going back to 1929, and the dullest month since January 2013. Only 36.6 hours of sunshine were recorded, which is 64% of the long term average (1981-2010).

• Wales was particularly cloudy, recording only 32.5 hours of sunshine, making it the dullest on record too.
  • England recorded 38 hours of sunshine, making it the second dullest on record behind 1934 (37.3 hours).
  • Scotland (35.1 hours) and Northern Ireland (38.4 hours) faired better compared to average (77 % and 71 % of average respectively).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/November-stats?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Looking at the rain charts no real surprise that roughly the central lowlands southwards was the wettest. Really was awfully wet here

Posted
15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:
Warm and dull November

Unusually I am showing all the post.

Qu=WHY when you link to the information do you have repeat it yourself. Do you think we are not capable of clicking on the link and reading what UK Met actually poste?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

And, if the remainder of December is anything like today (14C and wall-to-wall sunshine) who knows what'll happen next?

First 20C+ temperature in a winter month?