Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted

I think nights in Dec to Feb will be warmer due to wind and rain, Sept is always more settled

This is your default expectations I assume you like that sort of weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think it is the minima that have made this a cooler than average month as there's really been a lot of chilly nights. The maxima on the other hand seem like they've been near-average, at least in my neck of the woods anyway.

I agree T: I'm thinking that the cold Atlantic is affecting our nighttime temperatures. I can't prove it, however.

Posted

Both the coldest and warmest temperature here this month occurred within 6.5 hours today. Min of 4.7C and max of 19.1C. It was also the sunniest day of the month recording 11.0 hours.

A month to forget for sure but nowhere near as bad as it looked like being not that long ago. It's the third time in five years that the bulk of the first two thirds of September has turned out hideously dull to be followed by a much sunnier final third:

2011: 1st -18th: 55.6hrs (68%), 19th -30th: 81.0hrs (168%), Total: 136.6hrs (105%)

2014: 1st -19th: 51.6hrs (60%), 20th - 30th: 59.1hrs (134%), Total: 110.7hrs (85%)

2015: 1st-16th: 42.4hrs (58%), 17th-30th: 81.8hrs (144%), Total: 124.2hrs (95%)

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

Once again autumn has started on a very benign note here, as often now seems to be the case, with September ending up one of the quieter and drier months of the year. Its been notably dry here relative to average and we have had 2 long spells of dry weather 7 days +, something always hard to come by in the Lake District. Its been a very sunny start as well, but also a preety chilly one, with persistently colder than average minima, significantly so, and maxima often below average, despite the abundant sunshine. Quite odd to get a cool dry sunny September, not had one for a long time, most recent Septembers have been very mild or average at best temp wise.

In overview a very good start to Autumn 2015. It feels a different autumn so far compared to the last 2.. lets see what October holds, hopefully some more dry sunny conditions.. synoptical pattern has been interesting and far from your average autumn pattern, again different to 2013, and 2014.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I agree T: I'm thinking that the cold Atlantic is affecting our nighttime temperatures. I can't prove it, however.

Had thunder on the first day of the month,quite an easterly week this week,I havn`t took too much notice of the wind direction,but pretty mixed direction this month or mainly light.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Braemar had a min of -1.3C and a max of 24.0C yesterday, quite impressive. I'm sure the BBC forecast said it was both the lowest and highest temperature anywhere in the UK in September! That also shows how it was quite a bland month temp wise though.. like most of summer here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Driving to work at 7pm in October with the windows down. Rather pleasant! Shame I was asleep through the day.

Posted

I've really enjoyed this spell, a splendid combination of misty (sometimes foggy) mornings and brilliant sunny days. The autumn colours seem more advanced than normal this year too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I've really enjoyed this spell, a splendid combination of misty (sometimes foggy) mornings and brilliant sunny days. The autumn colours seem more advanced than normal this year too.

Dry weather with warm days and cool nights is supposed to be great for foliage colours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very foggy at times this morning but I'm wondering if that prevented the temperature falling as low as it could have last night? Very slowly clearing now.

UKMO has a thunder symbol for here next Tuesday - could this autumn be turning more interesting again next week? It does coincide with what looks like the warmest day of next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A different face of Autumn today, wet & breezy but it's stayed mild and felt pretty muggy with temps over 17c. Some more leaves being blown from the trees. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Erm... every single one your posts this month (and for as long as I can remember) have basically been complaining about how "vile and ghastly" this September has been? How can you all of a sudden just come out with "it's not been any where near as bad as it looked like being"?

As far as I'm concerned all of 2015 has been vile and ghastly and it's now downhill all the way.  Every month below normal at least in NW England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

After the pleasant sunshine of recent days, today's mild and muggy weather was a shock.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am not quite sure why people are complaining about temperature at this time of year.I am blessed [or not so blessed] by lower temps than most but I can assure the last week or two of mainly sunny days [afternoons anyway] with temps of 14 to 17 deg and CALM conditions have been as good as good as it gets here for 2015,sure as hell beats 14 deg and cloudy and a stiff breeze in the height of summer.4th of October ,yesterday spent most of the day in a T shirt feeling pleasantly warm,even all those who hate summer heat must have loved that !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow blizzard

I wonder if this week will be the last of the above 17c temps we see this year?

Cant see it hitting any higher as we move deeper into autumn...

Unless anyone fancies a BBQ xmas day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Look how warm last Halloween was. That indicates plenty of time for temperatures into the 60F's yet. :)

61f was reached here this January so its possible all year anyway.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Exceeded 17C here in the first week of November 2010..

Today was humid, but not muggy to me - otherwise most days in winter would be muggy since 90-100% humidity is quite a regular occurrence.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Yuck.

I don't mind it turning unsettled - it had to happen eventually - but this sunless mild gunk from the SW is just depressing, especially after what came before.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I would enjoy this October as much as you can - because here is the composite for a typical El Nino November! It matches an Atlantic cold pool anomaly composite as well -

post-4523-0-89281700-1444077853_thumb.pn

October composite suggests a ridge never too far away, especially with an Atlantic cold pool present.

• Like 2