Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sunday dinner is Coming from the BBQ in the very warm sunshine here this afternoon. Who would have thought it was almost October. Proves BBQ conditions are still more than possible for a bit longer! :D

Posted

Hello,

I live in Dolton, North Devon, alt 106m, I have a fairly basic rain guage in our fruit garden and so far for September I have recorded 140mm of rainfall. This seems very high although the Rivers round here have risen dramatically during the month and the met office rainfall radar has shown some big rainfall build ups in this area and so it may be correct.

Does anyone else in this area keep rainfall records it would be interesting to know if anyone can corroborate my readings.

That's interesting as there has been a lot less this side of Devon at about 60mm, however I think it has been wetter on the NW side of the county and remember one day being much wetter up there so it could be correct. August was very wet here having 157mm.

Santon Downham had a min of 0.4C and a max of 18.7C yesterday, the lowest and highest temps respectively for the East of England. Impressive diurnal range: would that have been beaten anywhere in the UK this year?

I think it would have been, in fact my own station had a min of 2.2C and a max of 22.1C on the 15th April. Similar ranges on the 6th (-0.7C to 19.1C), and 20th (-0.6C to 18.8C). 

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Another great day here,calm with almost unbroken sunshine from mid morning,felt really warm,yet another day that is difficult to find in summer 2015!

Posted

We're on course here for the coldest September since 1986. The mean at the moment stands at 12.9C, 1.4C below the 1981-2010 average.

Its also only the second September here in 36 years not to record 20C. The high max at the moment is 19.8C, currently the lowest on record.

A very surprising stat...

I was just going to say its looking like very dry period this autumn once again,chilly nights currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

We're on course here for the coldest September since 1986. The mean at the moment stands at 12.9C, 1.4C below the 1981-2010 average.

Its also only the second September here in 36 years not to record 20C. The high max at the moment is 19.8C, currently the lowest on record.

And we all know what happened in Jan 1987, well down here anyway. :D :D

Posted

This September has not been cold here just like last September wasn't warm. Both have been grey nothing months which I've detested. This one possibly even more so than last. It has been one of the most tedious months of unvaried tripe I've had to suffer.

This high pressure has been useless with only one sunny day out of three and even that was plagued by high cloud. For the Local Holiday Monday today the skies were full of cloud when it was meant to be sunny as seems to always happen nowadays, between June and September, no matter how the high is positioned. I will be livid if the next four days see wall to wall sun only for the cloud to return at the weekend.

The most shocking stat about how monotonous this month has been is that it is on course to record both the lowest max (18.8C) and highest min (6.2C) in my 11-year records. Previous records were 20.1C in 2008 and 5.7C in 2006. A sub-20C September was probably overdue but not getting below 6C when last year also had a min above 5C is just ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This September has not been cold here just like last September wasn't warm. Both have been grey nothing months which I've detested. This one possibly even more so than last. It has been one of the most tedious months of unvaried tripe I've had to suffer.

I'll admit it's been a rather 'unexciting' month in NE Scotland but it's not been that bad. Saturday was a disappointment in the sunshine stakes, but Sunday was lovely and today isn't looking too bad either. As for Monday, well Bank Hols always seem to be poor weather wise, but surely a dry day in the mid teens at the end of Sept is reasonable. As for rain for the month, we must be running below average as evidenced by the general lack of muck on my dog walks (more scientifically, I should check my rain gauge figures for the month).

Also, the temp got down to 2.8C at my house last night under the clear skies, so probably not far off having a grass frost.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

One key difference with this September for my location anyway is that nights have been cooler than many years - I can't remember when was the last September here with an average minimum less than 10C but this year looks like achieving that. It's been quite nice having the cool mornings followed by decent afternoon. As I said above, I've quite enjoyed this September for its variety, along with 2013, 2011 and 2010 though not as wet as the first two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The 06z GFS would threaten daily CET records around the 7th and 8th. Quite far off at this stage, but something to keep an eye on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Is that October you're referring to BFTV?

Yep. The daily average records for the 7th and 8th are 16.9 and 17.7C respectively, while the latest GFS forecasts averages of around 16.7C and 17.7C.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This sept has been cooler then normal overall as regards max temps but as far as my location is concerned the nights have not been all that cool. Lowest ive recorded this month was 6.0c one morning last week. Unless my sensor is wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

The cool nights and sunny warmer days have been a feature here for the last week. Afternoon max has got to between 15.8 and 17.9C

My last few nights have recorded 4.5c, 2.8C, 1.9C, 2.6C and last night 3.8C.

Interesting that last night we had a sight of 'mist', with a RH of 100% at 07:00, but with the higher temperatures. Looks like moister air is slowly getting caught up in the circulation of the high.

The other thing (which may also effect the CET adjustment) is that around here  I have recorded very late minimums after 07:00, with this mornings being noticeably later at 07:45.. -  presumably due to the effect of the layer of mist not allowing the sun to break through. 

The forecast looks the same for the next 2 - 4 days, so lets make the most of it!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Been 4 days of pretty much non stop sun here in this spell though today was hazier. So that's about 11-12 hours each day. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Around here, I can say with confidence that this September has featured the greatest number of single figure minimum temperatures for a number of years. It is very unusual to see this many single figure nights now due to the modifying affects of the warm Irish sea being at their strongest, enhanced by the usual regularity of Westerly airflows. This month has seen a reduction in such airflows along with the existing negative SST anomalies, so the coast is having an unusual September with large diurnal temperature ranges, and nights that aren't far off a ground frost at times. Long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Around here, I can say with confidence that this September has featured the greatest number of single figure minimum temperatures for a number of years. It is very unusual to see this many single figure nights now due to the modifying affects of the warm Irish sea being at their strongest, enhanced by the usual regularity of Westerly airflows. This month has seen a reduction in such airflows along with the existing negative SST anomalies, so the coast is having an unusual September with large diurnal temperature ranges, and nights that aren't far off a ground frost at times. Long may it continue!

I think nights in Dec to Feb will be warmer due to wind and rain, Sept is always more settled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think nights in Dec to Feb will be warmer due to wind and rain, Sept is always more settled

From an IMBY prospective I disagree. The SSTs and wind direction are the most important variables at any time of year. If it's cloudy and wet but the sea is colder than normal then the cold sea will have a greater effect on the temperature than the cloud cover, more so the closer to the coast I am. Likewise, a warmer than normal sea will keep temperatures up despite a clear sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Been 4 days of pretty much non stop sun here in this spell though today was hazier. So that's about 11-12 hours each day. :D

Hmm, unlikely - day length right now is about 12 hours and sun recorders don't pick up all sun from the very moment the sun rises to the very moment it sets. 10 hours is more reasonable.

Anyway, I wish the Met Office did fog averages as I think we must be one of the foggiest places in the country. Past three nights have been foggy here, but clears up around 1pm. Feels like living on the Californian coast.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Hmm, unlikely - day length right now is about 12 hours and sun recorders don't pick up all sun from the very moment the sun rises to the very moment it sets. 10 hours is more reasonable.

Anyway, I wish the Met Office did fog averages as I think we must be one of the foggiest places in the country. Past three nights have been foggy here, but clears up around 1pm. Feels like living on the Californian coast.

I don't have any sun recorder but the sun is at least shining virtually all the hours it is supposed to be up. That is what I mean. 

You are welcome to the fog though. Been a little surprised there has not even been any mist here. Fog isnt something I really expect here till late october onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Indeed. Saturday and Sunday both recorded 9 hours of sun here with a little bit of cloud, Monday maxed at 10.5 hours with cloudless skies, yesterday although sunny was quite hazy with a lot of cirrus about so was slightly down at 8.8. September's sunshine total overtook August's here on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Dry, sunny but cool September

Provisional statistics for the month show that after a wet end to August, September has been drier than average for much of the UK with figures up to the 28 September showing that there has been 53.3mm of rain, only 55% of the September average of 96.4mm.

Northern and western Scotland have been particularly dry with only 37% and 31% of the September average for rainfall having been recorded. In comparison, parts of eastern and southeast England have seen above average rainfall. Wales has seen 75mm of rain, 64% of average, while Northern Ireland recorded 51% of the September average for rainfall with a total of 47.1mm.

Many places have enjoyed a sunny month with 137 hours of sunshine recorded across the UK, this is 10% above the average for September.

However, despite the dry and sunny weather conditions, September has seen some rather cool days and nights. Mean temperatures across the UK up until the 28 September are 0.8C below normal with minimum temperatures across England and Wales around 1.5C below the September average. Five UK observing sites have already recorded their first frost of the season.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/09/30/dry-sunny-but-cool-september/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If I had not seen any stats at all, I would have said this was a warm September! So many pleasantly warm days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So what, if it gets down to single figures each night; the warm, sunny days have more than made up for it? :D