Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Autumn looks like starting settled and sunny before turning very stormy come November, yup winter 2015-2016 is already over :D It is looking like a mild, stormy winter, if this guy is on the ball.  :cray:  :cray: http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

Simon Keeling's thoughts for September and October

*September*

Higher than normal pressure is expected to be the dominant weather pattern through September. Indications are that this will tend to be situated to the east of the country. Conditions are expected to be drier than normal, probably more so later in the month. Temperatures are also likely to be above normal for the time of year, although not by much. Later on in the month we expect the risk of air frosts to increase and it may be that periods of rain affect Scotland and Ireland from time to time.

*October*

A reversal in conditions in October as low pressure deepens and becomes a predominant feature. Strong winds and heavy rain are likely, especially in more central and southern parts of the country where the jet stream will be strongest. Temperatures will be near normal overall. whilst rainfall totals as a month will be close to normal, although tending to be focused in the second half of the month. Probably drier in Scotland, although still rain to come here.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=seasonaloutlook&DAY=20150717

• Like 1

Posted

Autumn looks like starting settled and sunny before turning very stormy come November, yup winter 2015-2016 is already over :D It is looking like a mild, stormy winter, if this guy is on the ball.  :cray:  :cray: http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

Not necessarily, look at Autumn 2009.  November was very mild and very stormy and this continued into the 1st part of December.  The rest is history!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Too early to write off winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Simon Keeling's thoughts for September and October

*September*

Higher than normal pressure is expected to be the dominant weather pattern through September. Indications are that this will tend to be situated to the east of the country. Conditions are expected to be drier than normal, probably more so later in the month. Temperatures are also likely to be above normal for the time of year, although not by much. Later on in the month we expect the risk of air frosts to increase and it may be that periods of rain affect Scotland and Ireland from time to time.

*October*

A reversal in conditions in October as low pressure deepens and becomes a predominant feature. Strong winds and heavy rain are likely, especially in more central and southern parts of the country where the jet stream will be strongest. Temperatures will be near normal overall. whilst rainfall totals as a month will be close to normal, although tending to be focused in the second half of the month. Probably drier in Scotland, although still rain to come here.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=seasonaloutlook&DAY=20150717

Differs somewhat to his autumn outlook video but the general theme is the same, a settled start to autumn, but gradually getting more and more unsettled.

Not necessarily, look at Autumn 2009.  November was very mild and very stormy and this continued into the 1st part of December.  The rest is history!

I can't remember autumn 2009, :D but that is good to hear.

Too early to write off winter.

It is just a guide using weather analogues and anything can happen, although he is advising his private clients to prepare for a possible stormy one.

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Differs somewhat to his autumn outlook video but the general theme is the same, a settled start to autumn, but gradually getting more and more unsettled.

I can't remember autumn 2009, :D but that is good to hear.

It is just a guide using weather analogues and anything can happen, although he is advising his private clients to prepare for a possible stormy one.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2009/autumn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all, in looking up catch up TV i came across this  (What's Wrong with Our Weather?) can't believe i missed it

I found it interesting more so the second half, with the UK could be in for more cold winters  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  (Catch up 03/08 BBC FOUR)

Physicist Dr Helen Czerski and meteorologist John Hammond make sense of Britain's extreme weather and discover that recent extreme winters are connected by the jet stream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04b763n/horizon-20132014-12-whats-wrong-with-our-weather

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all, in looking up catch up TV i came across this  (What's Wrong with Our Weather?) can't believe i missed it

I found it interesting more so the second half, with the UK could be in for more cold winters  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  (Catch up 03/08 BBC FOUR)

Physicist Dr Helen Czerski and meteorologist John Hammond make sense of Britain's extreme weather and discover that recent extreme winters are connected by the jet stream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04b763n/horizon-20132014-12-whats-wrong-with-our-weather

Good article that

• Like 1

Posted

Shame solar activity was only mentioned for 3 seconds right at the very end :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted

Have noticed some leaves are changing colour already. Also when in Scotland a couple of weeks back I noticed some leaves had started changing colour there. It's very few mind but perhaps a sign that Autumn is slowly coming. Actually the leaves on my silver birch tree in my garden are mostly yellow already.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I know Autumn isn't a million miles away now that the house spiders are starting to emerge.

• Like 2

Posted

Don't get me wrong, this part of the country has done well this summer - long gloriously sunny summer days that you remember as a kid, but not excessively hot, just about right, that have stretched on for months, with the odd bonus storm chucked in for good measure.

BUT

Today has been a taster of what is to come, a reminder that the turn of season is just around the corner, and I for one, will look forward to this cycle.

This mornings mist, driving to work with the lights on, and this afternoons mist and merk, as the afternoon wears on.

Love summer, but now had enough.

Here's to being all cosy at home, whilst the wind and rain lashes the windows, and thoughts turn towards frosty mornings and foggy days.

Sometimes I think I'm blessed to live in this isle that has seasons.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Here's to being all cosy at home, whilst the wind and rain lashes the windows, and thoughts turn towards frosty mornings and foggy days.

Yes my sentiments to, I'm looking forward to Autumn now and the slow build up to the 'mad season'..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Yes my sentiments to, I'm looking forward to Autumn now and the slow build up to the 'mad season'..

Don't get me wrong, this part of the country has done well this summer - long gloriously sunny summer days that you remember as a kid, but not excessively hot, just about right, that have stretched on for months, with the odd bonus storm chucked in for good measure.

BUT

Today has been a taster of what is to come, a reminder that the turn of season is just around the corner, and I for one, will look forward to this cycle.

This mornings mist, driving to work with the lights on, and this afternoons mist and merk, as the afternoon wears on.

The UK has what I would term merging seasons..where there is a slow transition from one season to another..i love Canadian seasons where they crash from one to another in matter of days.

Posted

Looking like a mainly dry autumn according to this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/ens-mean

Which would suit me right down to the ground.

Much of the rest of the northern hemisphere programmed to be appreciably above average, with only our little island in a sea of slightly below average temps. The cold SST values over NE atlantic don't look like repenting. Polar maritime/returning polar maritime airstream with blocking to the NE perhaps the dominant pattern for the season...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Much of the rest of the northern hemisphere programmed to be appreciably above average, with only our little island in a sea of slightly below average temps. The cold SST values over NE atlantic don't look like repenting. Polar maritime/returning polar maritime airstream with blocking to the NE perhaps the dominant pattern for the season...

We must be looking at different maps - I see the UK as slightly above average.

2cat_20150801_temp2m_months24_global_det

Posted

We must be looking at different maps - I see the UK as slightly above average.

Its pretty much bang on average when you look at it. A mixture of green and magnolia. -0.5C to +0.5C compared to the mean.

Posted

Have noticed some leaves are changing colour already. Also when in Scotland a couple of weeks back I noticed some leaves had started changing colour there. It's very few mind but perhaps a sign that Autumn is slowly coming. Actually the leaves on my silver birch tree in my garden are mostly yellow already.

Noticed it too this weekend. Seems a bit early??

Posted

I see the UKMO model is intensifying the cold SST anomaly by winter time. Sea will cool anyway but that's a big anomaly from normal winter condition.

aymEYwc.png

• Like 3

Posted

Not long now until the weather presenters start telling us about frosts in the 'remote glens of Scotland' 

Meanwhile, El Nino > http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/entries/fee32445-15c0-4d2c-9423-1a1281c8fd37

• Like 1