Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

William Grimsley

Internet Speeds - I'm Interested

Hi guys!

I recently moved from TalkTalk Simply Broadband to BT Infinity on 27/04/2015. My internet speed dramatically increased and buffering, slow page loads and long download times are now a thing of the past. What's your internet speed? Is it slow, is it fast? Can it be a pain or is it never any hastle?

I'm with you there William. I'm with TalkTalk and the highest speed I get is around 16Mb/s which is half of what they advertise.

Im with Sky FibreOptic and i get about 37mb DL speed, which is perfectly adequate for everything i do on the PC 

My speed is below in my signature bar a very stable connection and 99% of the time my speed is above the estimated speed

Always remember with Virgin, BT, talktalk acts the speeds are 'upto' only Virgin media can get consistently close to or above because they use fibre to the premise rather than fibre to the cabinet, then those old copper lines into your home, I know fibre to the cabinet was offered by BT but given the stupidly high costs; connection charge £750, monthly rental £99 and the distance based £3.50 per metre it was halted and only really meant for businesses

Im on Plusnet Fibre and i get 36MB dowload connection and 8MB upload. very stable connection and im happy to support the Sheffield based company!

No complaints here :)

Interesting results guys. The speed test shown below is what I got just after I got BT Infinity. However, both my download speed and upload speed have decreased slightly but it is so much better than ADSL when I could barely get 5 Mbps for years.

Virgin Media, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4497860005 Absolute no buffering what's so ever, especially when streaming :)

Im on VM as well mine is advertised as 100mb DL but as all my stuff is wireless I get around 80-90mb which is decent..plus my Ping is around 8 which is the more important thing.

Ping test is a very good way of determining the quality of your broadband Internet connection for streaming media, voice, video communications, and online gaming that requires more than just raw speed.

Grade A for me  http://www.pingtest.net/ :)

On virgin 150mb bundle. Amazingly Virgin actual fixed a congestion issue pretty quickly when at peak times 150mb was 40mb. Instead of waiting nearly a year for a fix they did in a few months. Anyway now get 160mb and 12mb up. 2nd back up line is adsl with BT which is 5mb to 8mb 1mb upload. 

I did consider VM for the DL speeds and TV offering, however the UP speed was important for IP-Cam and image uploads

Stuck with BT Infinity and it has been good

4514901949.png

I did consider VM for the DL speeds and TV offering, however the UP speed was important for IP-Cam and image uploads

Stuck with BT Infinity and it has been good

4514901949.png

No issue with upload speeds for IP cams or image uploads. Still Virgin should try and match BT's speeds though.

BT infinity a no go here and no sign that it will be made available for the foreseeable future either.

Max speed at home is 5mb down and around 0.2 up but it often drops below this and is a problem especially if one person starts streaming tv through netflix or bbc iplayer etc.

I pray they upgrade the village one day it would be nice to receive even half the advertised speed.

I'm with TalkTalk both at home and at my dads flat

He has an ADSL2+ based connection with a line estimate of 10.5Mb/s and gets 11

At home I use FTTC with TalkTalk and get anywhere between 30 - 45Mb/s on a 76Mb/s package, upload is around 15 which is good enough in my view :)

docsis3 with VM and apart from peak times when I see a slight lag it is good (price I am paying I am not complaining as I am on mates rates)

Max speed at home is 5mb down and around 0.2 up but it often drops below this and is a problem especially if one person starts streaming tv through netflix or bbc iplayer etc.

I pray they upgrade the village one day it would be nice to receive even half the advertised speed.

The problem with ADSL speeds is that most people live at least 2 miles from the exchange receiving < 15 Mb which is below the advertised speeds of many ISP's. It looks like you're on ADSL1 which was the first version of ADSL introduced after ISDN/dial up lines were removed. I can tell you are on ADSL 1 due to your upload speed of 0.2 Mbps (the max for ADSL 1 is 0.448 Mbps or 448 Kbps). Hopefully, everyone will get fibre soon with 95% of Devon and Somerset being covered by the end of 2016 (hopefully!).

No issue with upload speeds for IP cams or image uploads. Still Virgin should try and match BT's speeds though.

BT infinity a no go here and no sign that it will be made available for the foreseeable future either.

I presume most of if not all of Sheffield is Virgin Media now. The only places round here that are covered by Virgin Media cable Exeter and Topsham. No sign of any rollout to my village or even Sidmouth. But, I'm happy with my BT Infinity 1 speeds.

Virgin media are turning everyones hub into a wifi hotspot by adding another channel it won't affect your speed and its totally safe you have do have the option to opt out but if you do you won't be able to access the wifi in any VM areas

my internet speed is better then before

4601764512.png

ping

129366996.png

my internet speed is better then before

4601764512.png

ping

129366996.png

Haha! My download speed is now identical to my signature but my upload speed is a bit lower. It looks like DLM has made changes to your line since you put that speed test in your signature. It has increased your download speed, decreased your upload speed but has also decrease the amount of interleaving on your line. This is evident due to your lower ping value.

Virgin media are turning everyones hub into a wifi hotspot by adding another channel it won't affect your speed and its totally safe you have do have the option to opt out but if you do you won't be able to access the wifi in any VM areas

Yes, BT does the same thing, sometimes when I'm on my iPhone, I can connect directly to someone's BT residential or business connection through the BT WiFi app.

Just upgraded to the new super hub from Virgin, Download 86Mbps and upload 12.63

On 11/07/2015, 19:38:41, Summer Sun said:

Always remember with Virgin, BT, talktalk acts the speeds are 'upto' only Virgin media can get consistently close to or above because they use fibre to the premise rather than fibre to the cabinet

That's not strictly true, 99% of folks are on FTTC with Vm. However, they use a special coax cable to speed it up to 300Mbit/s. FTTH/P from Vm is being trialled by a small percentage, up to 1Gbit/s

On 21/08/2015, 19:35:06, William Grimsley said:

I presume most of if not all of Sheffield is Virgin Media now. The only places round here that are covered by Virgin Media cable Exeter and Topsham. No sign of any rollout to my village or even Sidmouth. But, I'm happy with my BT Infinity 1 speeds.

Problem in Sheffield is that Virgin media is heavily over subscribed. I'm very lucky that I get close to the proper speeds after a dip last year to half the speed. Other areas I know are no better than basic adsl speeds and some have been like that for years as well.

On 12/5/2015 at 0:48 AM, Mapantz said:

That's not strictly true, 99% of folks are on FTTC with Vm. However, they use a special coax cable to speed it up to 300Mbit/s. FTTH/P from Vm is being trialled by a small percentage, up to 1Gbit/s

You could say it's FTTC, but not strictly FTTC. FTTC is related to Openreach owned equipment not VM. Even though VM do have "cabinets" the cabinet signal doesn't leave through copper it still comes through fibre not like normal FTTC from other ISP's e.g. BT or TalkTalk. So, it's not really FTTC seen as FTTC means "Fibre To The Cabinet" and as explained, it's still FTTH (Fibre To The Home) with VM.

You don't have fibre to home with Virgin they may advertise fibre but it's coax to the home and fibre to the cabinet.

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather