Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Strange lights seen after a double strike - bright beams at night

Posted

I went through some of the videos I captured and took some stills using VLC now while going through the video at key points frame by frame I noticed this strange result.

Can anyone explain what this beam of light is? I wasn't able to confirm the type of lightning but two flashes did occur within a short period of each other.

I recorded this at 720p using my lumia at default settings.

post-22580-0-62561000-1436374150_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Death Ray.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LukGjJ-k0XA

Edit; HEAT RAY :help:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is that entire pillar made from hundreds-and-thousands? :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

it does look a lot like a lens flare quite common in my experience when trying to lift a lightning shot from video footage....a similar phenomena appears on pretty much every storm video that I attempt to get lightning snapshots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Its because new camcorders use cmos chips that scan the image from top to bottom,if the lightning occurs during a scan part of the image will be light, and some will be dark. My old mini-dv and Hi8 camcorders didnt have this problem as they used CCD image chips.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its because new camcorders use cmos chips that scan the image from top to bottom,if the lightning occurs during a scan part of the image will be light, and some will be dark. My old mini-dv and Hi8 camcorders didnt have this problem as they used CCD image chips.

This would explain why trying to get a freeze frame from my GoPro camcorder has this "stripey" effect on some of the lightning shots I have taken whereas my old mini-dv camcorder didn't.

Of course, when playing the video you don't actually see this as the scanning must occur in a fraction of a second.

Posted

The wonders of light its enlightening to see the why this happened :) It might also explain why some of the light to appear to travel in the sky to with it being brighter in the distance above the roof tops then brighter in the sky more locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

it does look a lot like a lens flare quite common in my experience when trying to lift a lightning shot from video footage....a similar phenomena appears on pretty much every storm video that I attempt to get lightning snapshots

Looks like that to me too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I went through some of the videos I captured and took some stills using VLC now while going through the video at key points frame by frame I noticed this strange result.

Can anyone explain what this beam of light is? I wasn't able to confirm the type of lightning but two flashes did occur within a short period of each other.

I recorded this at 720p using my lumia at default settings.

Agree with the others - you see this quite a bit in lightning videos, more pronounced when there is a close lightning flash from behind...it often manifests as a bright horizontal beam running up and down the image, often viewable at normal speed without slowing it down.

If I had time currently to find examples on YouTube I would...have a search, there are plenty on there (usually more pronounced on day time footage)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Sprites nailed it, it's known as a rolling shutter, the curse of filming on compact and dslr cameras.

• Like 1