Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted

It's looking like at my location (and those with similar height) tonight/ early tomorrow is going to be a washout, as a pocket of slightly warmer uppers moves through with the precipitation. although snow could fall as the band of precipitation approaches/clears.

18-7UK.GIF?20-6

Best chance I reckon is late morning where there is a chance of catching a snow shower, with more favourable conditions of uppers at around -8 and dewpoints dropping back below freezing.

Just going to have to hope for one of those infamous last minute surprises.

It's certainly got a lot colder this afternoon so there's always hope.

BBC has me down for snow between 9am and 12pm tomorrow - about the worst possible time for me

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Just going to have to hope for one of those infamous last minute surprises.

It's certainly got a lot colder this afternoon so there's always hope.

BBC has me down for snow between 9am and 12pm tomorrow - about the worst possible time for me

Unfortunately it does look like the mild sector will come into play and it definately will if winds are veering from the North Sea, as per usual, once colder air comes back in, then most of the PPN is gone! 

If I was still in the NE, then I probably would not be all that excited seeing as there has been some slight westward movements of the PPN thus moving the mild sector closer to the NE. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The temperature is continuing to fall down to 4.4c at the moment still too high for snow another 1c to 1.5c and it'll be just about right

Posted

Unfortunately it does look like the mild sector will come into play and it definately will if winds are veering from the North Sea, as per usual, once colder air comes back in, then most of the PPN is gone! 

If I was still in the NE, then I probably would not be all that excited seeing as there has been some slight westward movements of the PPN thus moving the mild sector closer to the NE. 

Yeah, I think you're right. It's going to be a bit of a jaffa cakeser if it turns out that way. However knowing full well that there's a ever decreasing chance of wintry mixes I've still got the radar opening and a good view off the lamppost like a muppet. Winter has truly arrived here at least. Did you relocate to study or just get sick of this place? hope you've settled in well over there either way!

I have hail does that count lol

Does Lancaster not fall under North West?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Some decent snow reports from Aberdeen over in the Scots thread which is encouraging. :)

Conditions seem good for snow up in these parts.

Station : B6309 Medomsley

Organisation : Durham County Council

Time : 20.11.2015 21:40 Europe/London

Air Temperature (1) 0.9 °C

Dew Point Temperature (1) -1.6 °C

post-2839-0-31986500-1448056205_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, I think you're right. It's going to be a bit of a jaffa cakeser if it turns out that way. However knowing full well that there's a ever decreasing chance of wintry mixes I've still got the radar opening and a good view off the lamppost like a muppet. Winter has truly arrived here at least. Did you relocate to study or just get sick of this place? hope you've settled in well over there either way!

Does Lancaster not fall under North West?

Neither, I moved to live with the girlfriend, unfortunately I moved to one of the worse places for snowfall but hopefully I can get compensated with some decent convective weather from any polar westerlies and of course, severe gales!

The temps and dew temps look good for the NE at the moment, the problem is, once that PPN arrives, the wind will veer to a more Northerly/NNE'ly which will bring higher dew temps I shall suspect therefore snowfall will be more limited to higher ground. 

That said, if the winds don't switch when the PPN arrive, then it may actually start as snow initially. 

Posted

very light snow here still, think once this heavier band reaches here it will be rain as winds appear to be coming direct from the n.e (the warmish north sea)

• Like 1

Posted

just looked out again moderate snow falling, blowing in sky from west to east looking at lamp post

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

First flakes of snow of the season falling here now. :)

Bodes well for us down here then :)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Just checking now and first flakes showing. Winds starting to feel milder now!Would be suprised if this stays as snow past Yorkshire. hope Im wrong!

Edited by AdrianHull

Posted

Sideways light snow here now.

Radar is epic!

Yes,that big blob to the north of you :)

• Like 1

Posted

Radar does look good, can I move back to the NE now please! 

That said, I'll be surprised if it stays all as snow, winds are more than likely will veer to a more stright Northerly which will no doubt bring the risk of higher dew points and temps so could start as snow, turn to rain/sleet then perhaps back to snow on its back edge?

That said, if nothing else, just seeing falling snow would be a bit of a novelty factor in itself. 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes,that big blob to the north of you is getting heavier :)

Posted

snow is now settling large flakes - suspect some inland regions on the eastern side may do well tonight will try and post a pic.   first snow of winter for me hurragh :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes,that big blob to the north of you is getting heavier :)

Don't know what happened there :cc_confused: lol

Posted

Moderate "sideways" snow here now!. Snow kiting possibly in the Pennines tommorow I think!

Radar does look good, can I move back to the NE now please! 

That said, I'll be surprised if it stays all as snow, winds are more than likely will veer to a more stright Northerly which will no doubt bring the risk of higher dew points and temps so could start as snow, turn to rain/sleet then perhaps back to snow on its back edge?

That said, if nothing else, just seeing falling snow would be a bit of a novelty factor in itself. 

I was thinkig the back end could be more on the wet side with the big flakes Im getting now. Temp still dropping here though!

Edited by AdrianHull

Posted

Moderate "sideways" snow here now!. Snow kitting possibly in the Pennines tommorow I think!

I was thinkig the back end could be more on the wet side with the big flakes Im getting now. Temp still dropping here though!

Was just thinking more in respect that the colder air will be digging back in and it could to an extent undercut the front, looking at the weather stations in Scotland, the lower dew temps are definately returning there indicating colder drier air. 

If the winds stay off shore, there is a chance it could remain as all snow. 

I wish I was back there right now but I'll enjoy reading this thread with interest. 

• Like 1