Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
15 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Rain down here in Ponteland so far. Bad start.

Yeah, back to rain here, Grrrr. Still early doors I guess.

Posted
Just now, geordiekev said:

Yeah, back to rain here, Grrrr. Still early doors I guess.

To be honest I'd be happy with sleet. That's how bad this winter has been so far. :)

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted

Temps will be dropping back, those above say 500 feet should see rain turn to snow in the next hour...even at lower levels there could be some...Snowing at 200 feet in places in Cumbria already.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Temps will be dropping back, those above say 500 feet should see rain turn to snow in the next hour...even at lower levels there could be some...Snowing at 200 feet in places in Cumbria already.

200 feet would just about get me inside the snow level, but I find that slightly optimistic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

crappy rain all night here so far, not expecting snow so close to the coast

Posted

Seemed to be a teeny bit of sleet falling in with the mainly rain when I went out a few minutes ago but it's going to need to get a fair bit colder for anything more significant.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Generally rain with the odd smattering of sleetiness chucked in.

I think this cold spell will turn out to be a damp squib here so good luck to everyone else!

Posted
6 minutes ago, JP1972 said:

Generally rain with the odd smattering of sleetiness chucked in.

I think this cold spell will turn out to be a damp squib here so good luck to everyone else!

Given it until midnight to see if anything happens then calling it a night. If it's not snowing by then it's not going to at all imho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

2 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Given it until midnight to see if anything happens then calling it a night. If it's not snowing by then it's not going to at all imho.

no chance of that, but don't give up hope for tomorrow morning... on typing a detailed post for tonight/tomorrow scenario!

Posted
9 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

no chance of that, but don't give up hope for tomorrow morning... on typing a detailed post for tonight/tomorrow scenario!

Surely that flies in the face of logic? It should get less likely to snow tomorrow morning surely?

Posted

My opinion on how tonight/tomorrow will play out... Looking at some chart data it is very marginal for rain/sleet/snow in any one place so:

1) if you live above say 200m then it is more likely be sleet then snow as the night goes on as the freezing level lowers and uppers become colder from the north.

2) as the low moves through we drag in that colder air to the north so lower lying areas with rain/sleet will start turning to snow... this more likely during the morning from say 5am onwards.

3) settling snow on low lying areas looks unlikely unless we get a period of heavy snow for a couple of hours during tomorrow morning, higher ground should get a good covering.

here you see the low moving into north see and its band of sleet/snow over the northeast slowly moving away @8am  Netweather GFS Image also the next image shows the colder uppers/air moving down behind low from north in a northerly flow @8am  Netweather GFS Image  move forward to 2pm you can see we are all in colder air... Netweather GFS Image   unfortunitaly most the ppn has also gone by this time.

Latest euro 4 has snow cover around the region, but mostly high ground... Snow accu. EURO4 We 13.01.2016 18 GMT

So to sum up a real mix bag tonight but it wont be till we move into the morning and the colder air digs in proper that we see snow chances increase.

Also friday night into saturday we could see snow showers move down the north sea and affect eastern areas which could be interesting near the time... one to watch!!!

Edited by doctor32
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Surely that flies in the face of logic? It should get less likely to snow tomorrow morning surely?

not really, colder uppers in the morning compared to now... 

Posted

Just driven home from visiting parents in Hartlepool,  roads are clear until you hit Ponteland just North of Newcastle Airport. Once north of Belsay the roads are SNOW covered you cannot see the road edges etc. Anyone living up here knows North Nothumberland doesn't have much in the way of street lights! Several cars are off the sides of the road,  lorries unable to get upbanks!  My ABS was working overtime going downbank, and the 4x sytem handled going upbank! Finally got home to Rochester near CaterBar... think the A68 into Scotland is now closed.... not seen any traffic North or South on the A68 for some time Now....  AND IT'S STILL SNOWING, dont travel in Northumberland unless you really have to....

PAUL 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, G4HDS said:

Just driven home from visiting parents in Hartlepool,  roads are clear until you hit Ponteland just North of Newcastle Airport. Once north of Belsay the roads are SNOW covered you cannot see the road edges etc. Anyone living up here knows North Nothumberland doesn't have much in the way of street lights! Several cars are off the sides of the road,  lorries unable to get upbanks!  My ABS was working overtime going downbank, and the 4x sytem handled going upbank! Finally got home to Rochester near CaterBar... think the A68 into Scotland is now closed.... not seen any traffic North or South on the A68 for some time Now....  AND IT'S STILL SNOWING, dont travel in Northumberland unless you really have to....

PAUL 

Not sure what you're on about. I'm a few miles north of Ponteland and it's been an entirely rain event here. It might be snowier higher up but to be frank you shouldn't have been taking the high roads in this weather. And of course there's going to be snow in the higher parts of Northumberland like Carter Bar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

or travel up the coast where its raining!!! haha

Posted

Hi Deep Snow, yes weather was ok until Ponteland! Where it was sleet by time we hit Belsay it was turning to Snow.. North of Belsay it just got worse...

AS we gained height going North it got worse until we were driving in a total blizzard !  Currently here in Rochester we have 2 inches Plus of Snow. And the A68 is totally empty I'm thinking Carter Bar may now be closed!

Regards Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, G4HDS said:

Hi Deep Snow, yes weather was ok until Ponteland! Where it was sleet by time we hit Belsay it was turning to Snow.. North of Belsay it just got worse...

AS we gained height going North it got worse until we were driving in a total blizzard !  Currently here in Rochester we have 2 inches Plus of Snow. And the A68 is totally empty I'm thinking Carter Bar may now be closed!

Regards Paul

Yeah, it's going to be pretty nice up in parts of Northumberland. Unfortunately down here it's still a washout. Here's hoping for the morning.

Posted
6 minutes ago, G4HDS said:

Regards Paul

nothing on bbc travel... not sure how up to date it is though... high ground will see plenty tonight where ppn is prolonged on heavy! i'm in a cirlce of nothing atm.   Netweather.tv Radar

Edited by doctor32

Posted

The LP centre looks to be almost over the region at the moment.

p1452724723.thumb.gif.12d37095adf08b43df

Things should get going a bit more once it has passed and drags in colder air.