Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.
On 31/12/2015 at 7:27 PM, Cloud 10 said:

Looks like a frosty start to the new year and a much more seasonal January coming up judging by the current model output.

18-580UK.thumb.GIF.5f297b89df4aae5a3212a

Happy new year everyone.:drunk-emoji:

Definitely, I had to scrape the car windows for the first time this winter.

Posted

It was interesting we stayed just above freezing until the wind dropped out at sunrise, then it promptly fell to -1.7C
This effect is often quite evident even if the wind does not drop out at you actual location e.g because relatively sheltered already.
Especially noticeable when the drop takes you below freezing though. A dangerous scenario with people rushing to work too.

Back to on and off rain today, it's been well over 10mm overnight.

Posted

Looks like quite a wet and miserable first week of January coming up,especially in the east of the region with the wind off the sea for much of the time,but some decent hints from the models for a change to a much colder N/NW flow towards mid-month.

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty dank, wet and occasionally very wet today.

Nothing in the models to suggest any noteworthy cold spell it seems.

More of the same for now ...

Posted

The rain has been relentless now for a few hours. It's lashing against the window in a decent breeze which sounds awesome.

The forecast for Newcastle says it's going to rain non-stop between 18:00 today until the early hours of Thursday morning! If this keeps up I'd be surpised if there isn't a fair amount of flooding round these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yep the rain looks pretty relentless east of the pennines for just above all of tomorrow given the saturated ground some flooding could occur

15-25 mm fairly widely, and potentially 40-50 mm over some high ground is mentioned in the warning

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings®ionName=ne&fcTime=1451952000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Tyne and Wear is taking a hammering here.  I would not be surprised if there is flooding.  No let up for next hour its seems.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Even here at Nenthead in the North Pennines its just been raining albeit chilly at 4C with a south-easterly wind.  These "globally-warmed" mild rainy winters do me in!! It would be lovely to have a return to something like we used to get in the early 1980s when the temperature would drop to -5C with a biting east wind and a foot of snow would fall (with drifts several times that), then after that the skies clear with winds falling light and a starry night down to -12C occurs!  We used to get such conditions in winter quite regularly and it was interesting when it happened- roads blocked, cars freezing up so we could never get to school!

Posted

Hammering down here at the minute,going to be interesting on the roads in the morning if this keeps up.

Posted

They do seem to have struggled with the rather unorthodox track of these showery bands circulating directly overhead!
The Met Office site was showing heavy rain almost none stop here but most of the rain was only right on the coast and it seems to have got much more broken up altogether for now - still looking quite serious in the Cheviots and Borders though.

Posted

This weather is utterly insane. Just constant torrential rain, followed by heavy rain, followed by torrential rain for weeks on end now. Is anyone else not just a little bit fed up, miserable and bored of it by this point? Feel sorry for the folk who have been and are likely to get flooded out.

Posted

Flooding on the Tyne Valley line between Prudhoe and Hexham its seems its the north of the region which is getting hit the worst still very little rain down here we've had a few showers but nothing on the scale of that further north where its heavy and persistent

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

A spell of fairly heavy rain over the past 40 minutes or so its cleared through for now and we have some glimmers of sunshine amongst all the cloud

Northumberland, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, Durham, North Tyneside, Sunderland and South Tyneside are now under an amber warning

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1451952000®ionName=ne

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

There are at least two very substantial areas of heavy rain homing in on Northumberland again this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

wow the rain is relentless here!!! very heavy for last 3 hours!!

Posted

It appears (as others have alluded to above) that rather than persistent heavy rain, we are getting heavier showers in amongst the lighter stuff. Which is probably a good job because when it comes down heavy, it really does come down and that would definitely lead to flooding I reckon.

It seems to have been dull, dank and predominantly wet now for days! More of the same for tonight and tomorrow but then by 11am on Thursday the sun comes out!

Thursday morning seems along way off though ....

Posted

I believe the sun coming out when I see it. Been promised that several times. The annoying thing about this is it's cold enough to contemplate what could have been for the sake of a few more degrees - imagine the depth of that snow. I suppose if we get a good cold snap next week all those people who can't cross rivers due to the floods will be able to walk across the river.

Posted

JS79706168.jpg

(Picture shamelessly stolen from chronicle live feed) Hows the river level here [Quayside - Newcastle] so low? I've seen it far higher in drier periods than this - also how realistic a probability is the tyne bursting over? 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
14 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

I believe the sun coming out when I see it. Been promised that several times. The annoying thing about this is it's cold enough to contemplate what could have been for the sake of a few more degrees - imagine the depth of that snow. I suppose if we get a good cold snap next week all those people who can't cross rivers due to the floods will be able to walk across the river.

Unfortunately the good cold snap does not look very likely.  Predictions of a Sudden Stratospheric Warming high over the Arctic leading to blocking highs and a spell of severe wintry weather from Russia in January (see long term prediction for winter 2015/16) are looking hollow.  The BBC long-term outlook has (in the main) continued westerlies and mild wet weather (even if less mild than recently).  They were predicting snow on high ground in the North and Scotland by today, and I look out of my house at 400 metres above sea level near Alston (North Pennines) and see rain and hill-fog along with a temperature of 4C at 10 AM. There is to be a short cold snap later this week but its a moot point as to weather it materialises into much- the next depression in the North Atlantic is likely to replace the SE winds of the last few days with westerlies and (looking at the weather maps) we have to wait until Sunday before northerlies set in for a couple of days (even they may not materialise, the prediction for a few days ago had easterlies over us with low-pressure in the English Channel!).

My take is that the jet-stream and higher-latitude Westerlies (caused by El-Nino and the westerlies of the QBO high over the Equator, along with the constant need for Westerlies in higher latitudes to counterbalance the effect of tropical, subtropical and Polar Easterlies [to stop the Earth slowing down in its rotation- and the Westerlies need to be stronger if they are in higher latitudes close to the axis of the Earth's rotation to achieve this], all this will see to it that the Atlantic influence with mild, rainy south-westerly and westerly winds wins out for the remainder of the winter (on the whole).

Posted

It seems to me that the above post is being somewhat pessimistic as to whether we will get the cold weather a lot of us yearn for,nothing is written in stone BUT things are looking better this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, iapennell said:

Unfortunately the good cold snap does not look very likely.  Predictions of a Sudden Stratospheric Warming high over the Arctic leading to blocking highs and a spell of severe wintry weather from Russia in January (see long term prediction for winter 2015/16) are looking hollow.  The BBC long-term outlook has (in the main) continued westerlies and mild wet weather (even if less mild than recently).  They were predicting snow on high ground in the North and Scotland by today, and I look out of my house at 400 metres above sea level near Alston (North Pennines) and see rain and hill-fog along with a temperature of 4C at 10 AM. There is to be a short cold snap later this week but its a moot point as to weather it materialises into much- the next depression in the North Atlantic is likely to replace the SE winds of the last few days with westerlies and (looking at the weather maps) we have to wait until Sunday before northerlies set in for a couple of days (even they may not materialise, the prediction for a few days ago had easterlies over us with low-pressure in the English Channel!).

My take is that the jet-stream and higher-latitude Westerlies (caused by El-Nino and the westerlies of the QBO high over the Equator, along with the constant need for Westerlies in higher latitudes to counterbalance the effect of tropical, subtropical and Polar Easterlies [to stop the Earth slowing down in its rotation- and the Westerlies need to be stronger if they are in higher latitudes close to the axis of the Earth's rotation to achieve this], all this will see to it that the Atlantic influence with mild, rainy south-westerly and westerly winds wins out for the remainder of the winter (on the whole).

Lets see where we are this time next week....

Meanwhile yet another yellow rain warning out for the region for tomorrow.

Warnings - Met Office

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

I for one will be happy for the frosty conditions to make my local dog walking fields less swampy. Living high up we don't often get too much flooding issues but this past week has been biblical.

Hopefully, the awkward confrontation I had with my postie last week, receiving a mammoth snow shovel in record mild weather,wont seem as embarrassing by next week.

In your face postie, u muggle. I hope I havn't jinxed it :cold-emoji:

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Posted

Tonight's charts look a bit tasty!

2010-esque dare I say?