Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
12 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

The rain has arrived. Managed build a very bad 3ft snowman before the snow begins to turn to icy and/or melt.

Reckon this'll all be gone by the morning.

very light snow here now which will soon stop... very icy indeed tonight but i imagine with snow cover deep in many places it will be colder than expected and with a cold day tomorrow it may take a while to melt i reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
32 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Well it's finally fizzling out, 5 inches in total in 3 hours, not a bad start to winter :cold:

There was even trees brought down across the road from me, due to the weight of the heavy, sticky snow :cc_confused:

IMG_20151212_155110.jpg

IMG_20151212_162100.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
55 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

very light snow here now which will soon stop... very icy indeed tonight but i imagine with snow cover deep in many places it will be colder than expected and with a cold day tomorrow it may take a while to melt i reckon

Yeah is snizzle now, was a fab surprise though as didn't expect so much. It was that lush sticky snow that makes everything look like a winter wonderland. My hound is begging for more and so am I :D

Edit: the sky is now that fantastic orange colour which is so hard to photograph but fab to see, expect a bit of a freeze as very foggy now.

IMG_20151212_150027.jpg

IMG_20151212_145300.jpg

IMG_20151212_144051.jpg

IMG_20151212_143944.jpg

IMG_20151212_143655.jpg

IMG_20151212_144237.jpg

IMG_20151212_173137.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I'm looking out at around about an inch of lying snow, it really did come down for a few hours here just a mile from Newcastle city centre.

Brilliant to see although it'll be gone by lunchtime tomorrow.

Posted

Lovely surprise! About 5 or 6 hours of snow, 5" on grass, 2-3" more generally here in a high-ish part near Durham City. The melt is well under way, but hopefully the night should slow that down so we get to appreciate it a bit more tomorrow.

2 decent falls (settling) so far, then, even if you had to be up on 2-6am to see the first!... Given how mild it's been, it's quite remarkable how we've had more snow that we've had over the last few years!

P.S. Nice to see the NE as the lucky ones. :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Very icy outside the lying snow has frozen and the temp still below zero mindue just below at -0.2c 

Posted

Just above freezing here but fog is clearing and also lots of ice about.
Still mainly white too, though most of it slowly melted overnight.
The rain gauge caught 13mm of snow melt not sure what depth of snow that equates to.
Supposed to be about Ten to One I think
So 13cm of snow would be about 5 inches

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Was tempted to drive upto Moors today to get my snowfix but looking at Chopgate and Sutton Bank road cameras there is no lying snow! I'm guessing it must just be the most northern parts of moors that held the lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another cold day on the cards today that front which brought the snow yesterday is now further south later today it will push back north, bringing rain this time with temperatures gradually increasing during the night to around 5c so hopefully no issues with ice tomorrow morning.

From Wednesday temperatures should be back in double figures nights will be mild too with lows around 9c

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Still a fair amount of lying snow around which should slowly thaw later today as the rain/sleet moves north. 

Back to normal over next week or so with unsettled but mild, sometimes very mild conditions.

IMAG0031.jpg

Posted

Yesterday's front is back over the region this time bringing rain

Temperatures will very slowly increase as the evening progresses

Posted

14c in the heart of December, a week after snowfall.

The world's gone barmy, barmy I tell ya!

Still, if we can't have ice and snow, I still maintain I'd rather we have very mild weather like this to at least make it feel pleasant out and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

16.1c out there at the moment bloody dreadful for this time of the year, looking at the current models things starting to cool down again running up to the big day

Posted
2 hours ago, Boro Snow said:

16.1c out there at the moment bloody dreadful for this time of the year, looking at the current models things starting to cool down again running up to the big day

Just enjoy it, come June it will be 12C most days I expect.

Posted

More normal mild day today, currently about 8.6C with sunny spells.
Pleased we are practically at shortest day, it does get very depressing in particular how it is dark soon after 4pm.
Looking at sunset times it is quite odd (though well known) that sunset is more or less the same time from about 7th December until 20th.
It actually gets noticeably later even before New Year - whereas sunrise time loses another minute or so yet, before accelerating earlier after New Year.
Today is our last 15:39 sunset anyway.

Posted

Yellow warning out for Durham and Northumberland from late Friday and just about all of Saturday

Issued at: 1127 on Tue 22 Dec 2015

Valid from: 1800 on Fri 25 Dec 2015

Valid to: 2345 on Sat 26 Dec 2015

A band of rain is expected to spread in from the southwest across much of England and Wales through Christmas Day. By the evening of Christmas Day there is a chance that this band of rain may become slow moving across northern parts of England, with rain becoming persistent and heavy at times overnight, perhaps lasting through much of Boxing Day. Please be aware that there are early indications that this could result in some disruption to transport and some localised flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure moving in from the southwest will bring outbreaks of rain to many across England and Wales for a time on Christmas Day. By the evening of Christmas Day there is a large amount of uncertainty in the forecast for how this rain will behave through the following night and into Boxing Day. Despite this uncertainty, there are early indications that the band may become slow moving across the warning area which could result in rainfall totals being high enough to give some moderate levels of disruption. This alert will be updated in the coming days as confidence on the forecast increases.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1451001600®ionName=ne

Posted

You've gotta feel for those people in Cumbria who have already had their lives turned upside down. It looks a certainty that they are in for more flooding very soon.

Anyway, if I don't post again beforehand I hope you all have a very Happy Christmas and stay safe.

• Like 1

Posted

heads up for areas  around Newcastle  the radar  picking  up  pink areas of rain heading in that region  so be ready for some very heavy  rain soon

Posted

I'm not so sure, it's still doing that stationary, orographically enhanced thing over the higher ground and it fades out as it moves east.
There will be a heavy burst mid/late evening as the Cold Front finally pushes south again though.

Posted

Had a very wet Christmas Day and predominantly wet on Boxing Day too.

Today was cooler and sunnier.

Really feel for those flood affected areas further afield.

Anyway, tentative signs of colder weather .............

Posted

Looks like a frosty start to the new year and a much more seasonal January coming up judging by the current model output.

18-580UK.thumb.GIF.5f297b89df4aae5a3212a

Happy new year everyone.:drunk-emoji: