Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Very cold out there today, but how nice to see clear blue skies... weather models all over the place again, lots of uncertainty with regards to little troughs and the progression of frontal systems from the west early next week bumping into cold air and stalling producing snow in many areas. This down to a Hurricane around the azores interacting with a trough in the atlantic.

So its a case of now casting for snow chances and keeping an eye on the radar if anything heads our way... saying this there will be alot of dry weather to with frosy nights and sun by day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
28 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Any snow showers tonight or has that threat disappeared?

Also  - beautiful clear sky out today.

I wouldn't rule out some along the coast but the chances of snow in land looks very low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Well there is just an inch of snow lying where I live near the village of Nenthead (North Pennines) and the temperature finally went down to, wait for it, such a frigid -4C!  This, of course, is at 410 metres' elevation and it is the much-hyped (for about ten days now) spell of "Arctic weather" with snow and "down to -15C in Scotland" that's been all over the Daily Express, Mail and some of the excitement on this Forum has been generated by weather-forecasters too eager to cry "Wolf, Wolf!".  Already, looking at the Met Office and BBC charts there are signs that the supply of cold air from the Arctic will be cut off by Saturday with just the high maintaining the frosty nights; said high looks to be slipping south by Saturday so milder North Atlantic air coming 'round the top of it will spell the end to the short-lived cold snap!

I would just like to know what Fleet Street would do if we had some REAL snow and hard frosts! What we have had over recent days is nothing really out of the ordinary, especially not for those of us living in the North of England- ITS CALLED JANUARY! Its actually nice to be able to walk outside and across the land without getting sodden wet. 

BTW some really nice scenic pictures on here of two inches' snow with frost glistening in the sunshine- we live in such a lovely part of the World.     

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Looking at the radar that ppn coming down the east coast of Scotland might give some snow later for some of our region, if it keeps it's current path 

Posted
38 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Looking at the radar that ppn coming down the east coast of Scotland might give some snow later for some of our region, if it keeps it's current path 

Agree, areas east of the A1 should see some wintry showers after dusk into saturday, north yorkshire moors may get a dusting. not expecting these to be heavy and how far the blow inland depends on wind direction and strength. Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

Edited by doctor32

Posted

Issued at: 
1215 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Valid from: 
1700 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Valid to: 
1100 on Sat 16 Jan 2016

Temperatures will fall sharply after dark on Friday evening allowing icy patches to form on untreated surfaces, including footpaths and cycleways. Please be aware of the potential for difficult travel conditions.
Clear skies will allow temperatures to fall widely below freezing on Friday evening. Particularly at risk of icy patches are roads, pavements and cycleways which are either still snow covered, where surfaces are wet from partially melted snow or standing water and areas where wintry showers occur after dark.

Durham, Gateshead, Northumberland, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, Darlington

Posted
4 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Issued at: 
1215 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Valid from: 
1700 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Valid to: 
1100 on Sat 16 Jan 2016

Temperatures will fall sharply after dark on Friday evening allowing icy patches to form on untreated surfaces, including footpaths and cycleways. Please be aware of the potential for difficult travel conditions.

Clear skies will allow temperatures to fall widely below freezing on Friday evening. Particularly at risk of icy patches are roads, pavements and cycleways which are either still snow covered, where surfaces are wet from partially melted snow or standing water and areas where wintry showers occur after dark.

Durham, Gateshead, Northumberland, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, Darlington

Who the hells cycling in this weather? Crash bandicoot and Mr.Bean?

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Who the hells cycling in this weather? Crash bandicoot and Mr.Bean?

I'll be cycling to work in the Costa Del Sol North West to work this evening :whistling: 

As far as the risk of showers tonight in the NE, I think the risk is there and its perhaps more potential than the forecasts suggest, don't expect huge amounts but I would not be surprised if parts of the region has at least a light covering by the morning time. Off shore winds and uppers of -6 ish does deliver snow but with pressure rising, the amount of showers could be quite limited hence not huge amounts should be expected. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I'll be cycling to work in the Costa Del Sol North West to work this evening :whistling: 

As far as the risk of showers tonight in the NE, I think the risk is there and its perhaps more potential than the forecasts suggest, don't expect huge amounts but I would not be surprised if parts of the region has at least a light covering by the morning time. Off shore winds and uppers of -6 ish does deliver snow but with pressure rising, the amount of showers could be quite limited hence not huge amounts should be expected. 

Take it easy then, rather you than me with the ice around at the minute - unless the Morecambe snow shields been in action - if it has get yourself inland and uphill.

Also, I'm really surprised that what I'd typicallyy considered the high points in Gateshead are all below 200m high. The difference between 70m and 150m seems to be massive in terms of snow potential given how short the distance actually is. Does anyone have an explanation?

Posted
43 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Take it easy then, rather you than me with the ice around at the minute - unless the Morecambe snow shields been in action - if it has get yourself inland and uphill.

Also, I'm really surprised that what I'd typicallyy considered the high points in Gateshead are all below 200m high. The difference between 70m and 150m seems to be massive in terms of snow potential given how short the distance actually is. Does anyone have an explanation?

Just purely down to air temps being colder further up you go, snow has less time to melt before touching the ground. sometime just 50m in hight can make a huge difference.

Posted
11 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Just purely down to air temps being colder further up you go, snow has less time to melt before touching the ground. sometime just 50m in hight can make a huge difference.

I understand that but I didn't realise they we're that much colder for that distance. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

I understand that but I didn't realise they we're that much colder for that distance. 

air temps, dew points and temp of ground surface all play a part in how quick snow turns to rain, just 1.c in temp can make the difference between snow/rain... so a temp of 2.c at say 50m to 1.c at 100m is enough. 

Posted
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

air temps, dew points and temp of ground surface all play a part in how quick snow turns to rain, just 1.c in temp can make the difference between snow/rain... so a temp of 2.c at say 50m to 1.c at 100m is enough. 

Which is why eventually I'm buying a house at 800m on the Eastern side of the country. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

Oh its been in action although there has been some convective showers which has wet the ground so your right in saying I should be taking it easy and I will especially if skies clear and the wind drops which it should. I just hope I'm more careful at cycling than my proof reading of my previous post there!

Posted
48 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Which is why eventually I'm buying a house at 800m on the Eastern side of the country. 

Not many houses to choose from at that height in the uk if any. Try Tow Law, Consett, Slaley, Allendale! 

Temp peaked today at -0.3 just after 2 so ice day confirmed here I'd say.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

800 feet maybe, unless you live at Tan Hill ;)

23767591383_091f154b5a_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Not all about height but also being far enough from the coast.

I remember going to a Xmas party in town a few years back. Was over a foot of snow at home. About 8 inches at Hexham station which is low down. The same all the way along the valley until Blaydon about 2 inches then in Newcastle nothing at all just wet. 

Newcastle station is certainly higher than Blaydon so must be more at play than just height asl!

Posted

From what I can tell none of the big snow events over the next 4 days will affect us. Looks like being one of those frustration cases of a huge swathe of western and southern England getting a clobbering while we get nowt. Or am I missing something?

Posted

Looking at the radar these showers in north sea may hit landfall soon and they are moving in a straight line N-S. Could this be a streamer for Sunderland area and produce some snow. That is the question.

image.png

Posted
1 minute ago, SNOW-MAN2006 said:

Looking at the radar these showers in north sea may hit landfall soon and they are moving in a straight line N-S. Could this be a streamer for Sunderland area and produce some snow. That is the question.

image.png

Yeah I got my eyes on those too in Redcar. The temperature is rising though as the cloud comes in so not sure about snow. We'll see what happens. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, NickR said:

From what I can tell none of the big snow events over the next 4 days will affect us. Looks like being one of those frustration cases of a huge swathe of western and southern England getting a clobbering while we get nowt. Or am I missing something?

You may be right but to hard to tell with the way the models are at the moment... best just wait and see when the time arrives.

Posted

So my hunt for a house at 800m was unsuccesful. There is however a village at 462m called Flash in the Peak District.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/buying-selling-moving/10013105/For-sale-a-home-in-Britains-highest-village.html