Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted

Been really severe the past hour with temp falling near freezing and gale force wind.
Really bad drifting over the higher moors according to snowplough man.

Posted

Well the rain did eventually turn to snow in Redcar and snowed quite heavily for 45 mins but nothing really settled. It's now eased off. Current temperature is just 1 degree so much colder than earlier. Just need the skies to clear now so we get a nice hard frost. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks like the northern half of the region did well for low level snow by the pics on look north bar a short time on the grass the snow never stuck to the ground here all cleared through now and some blue sky is appearing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

bitter outside in that cold wind... so most of us have seen some snow today, some more than others.

So what next? much drier in the days ahead but some very cold nights with in some places severe frosts... however we may still see some snow showers now and again. Friday into saturday a band of wintry showers moves south to the west of our region later friday, then showers moving in off the north sea to eastern areas for a time saturday... not expecting much from these two features but will be nice to see some more snow fall. then further ahead we may see some snow in middle of week before milder weather seems now likely to break through.

Posted

I think places near the Sea will hover near freezing most nights.
There'll be -10s in the favoured spots like Dishforth and Redesdale.

Posted

Ice warnings out

Issued at: 1216 on Thu 14 Jan 2016

Valid from: 1700 on Thu 14 Jan 2016

Valid to: 1000 on Fri 15 Jan 2016

Ice is likely to form on untreated surfaces on Thursday evening and night. Please be aware of the likelihood of some difficult driving conditions, especially on minor roads, and some slippery surfaces.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Clearing skies will allow temperatures to fall widely below freezing on Thursday evening. Ice is likely to form on untreated surfaces, especially where they are left wet from rain, or, in some areas, where lying snow partially thaws and then freezes again.

Covers

Durham, Northumberland, Darlington, Gateshead, Stockton-on-Tees, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1452729600

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was watching Neil Bradshaw's webcam earlier today- Marsden appeared to have a lot of sleet and wet snow with the wind off the North Sea sometimes lifting the temperature to 2-3C, but they had a brief dusting at around noon.

Posted

Back across in Washinton. Some really good snow on the way across - i'm not going to complain anymore - clearly in the wrong place last night. From about Callerton to here had a good covering. The usual suspects, Springwell, Sherrif Hill etc are properly belted! There's a good covering left here as well, an it's getting very cold. Buses running really smoothly, it's the council not gritting to blame for the issues reported this morning not the bus companies

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Chaos on the roads around the Consett/Dipton/Hobson area this morning as the heavy snow hit right on the rush hour resulting in nightmare journey's for some.

Got a couple of inches of snow lying now which should last into next week at least with some hard frosts coming up.

Nice sunset earlier.

20160114_154828.thumb.jpg.232f0fc01a653b

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Back across in Washinton. Some really good snow on the way across - i'm not going to complain anymore - clearly in the wrong place last night. From about Callerton to here had a good covering. The usual suspects, Springwell, Sherrif Hill etc are properly belted! There's a good covering left here as well, an it's getting very cold. Buses running really smoothly, it's the council not gritting to blame for the issues reported this morning not the bus companies

i think the council/gritters get blamed way to easy to be fair. When you have hours of rain washing salt away... it doesn't matter when or how much salt you put down when the roads are very wet, if it then starts to snow heavily like it did it will stick to the roads and cause problems

Salt needs to be drivin on for some time to grind it into the road and increase the freezing level of the water so it doesn't freeze as easy or melts snow/ice quiker

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Chaos on the roads around the Consett/Dipton/Hobson area this morning as the heavy snow hit right on the rush hour resulting in nightmare journey's for some.

Got a couple of inches of snow lying now which should last into next week at least with some hard frosts coming up.

Nice sunset earlier.

20160114_154828.thumb.jpg.232f0fc01a653b

Nice pic, where is your location?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Spent the day in the North York Moors, starting off this morning on the west side near Sutton Bank above 300m asl and there was severe drifting at times and visibility near to nothing at times, in the afternoon I headed to the highest area of Dalby Forest around 200m and the snow was more marginal here with huge flake accumulating quickly. Anyone in the Middlesbrough/Teeside area I would recommend getting yourself up there this weekend in the sunshine as it will be stunning!

12528286_10156502774575245_1248900673_o.12575887_10156502775470245_879240891_n.j

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CPK East Durham Coast said:

Is that us done for the night? Certainly looks like it from the radar

Bar the odd shower near the coast thats it for the weekend with high pressure building in leaving with cold but sunny days and bitterly cold nights

We need to watch for any breakdown from the west as we could have snow on the leading edge but thats all if's and when's given the state of the models atm

Posted
8 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Nice pic, where is your location?

Catchgate,a couple of mile from Stanley.

I think thats spot on what you said about the gritting,when snow comes down heavy and quickly like it did this morning,some disruption is inevitable.

Still a decent chance of seeing some snow showers coming in off the north sea in the early hours of saturday morning.

arpegeuk-42-41-0.thumb.png.5c84227a60372

Posted
10 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Catchgate,a couple of mile from Stanley.

I think thats spot on what you said about the gritting,when snow comes down heavy and quickly like it did this morning,some disruption is inevitable.

Still a decent chance of seeing some snow showers coming in off the north sea in the early hours of saturday morning.

arpegeuk-42-41-0.thumb.png.5c84227a60372

Thanks, Know it well as i'm originally from pelton fell and have many family from stanley, shotley bridge and consett. 

Yeah we may see a few wintry showers friday into saturday then just very cold and dry as @Summer Sun says regarding next weekk

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Fancy getting out with the camera tomorrow morning/afternoon. Where about's will still have a good covering of ice/snow by then and be accessible by public transport. Needs to be within this area:

http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/zone-map

hard to say but any where with alltitude, so zone 3 towards sunniside, chopwell area. think zone 5 maybe for higher areas (warden law) obviously i haven't seen what snow cover is like in said areas but maybe try finding road cams or similar in morning to get a feel of where snow cover is?

Posted
Just now, doctor32 said:

hard to say but any where with alltitude, so zone 3 towards sunniside, chopwell area. think zone 5 maybe for higher areas (warden law) obviously i haven't seen what snow cover is like in said areas but maybe try finding road cams or similar in morning to get a feel of where snow cover is?

Yeah, I quite fancy Derwent Valley but not sure if it's high enough.

Posted

The snow in the Ouseburn area of Newcastle where I work had all but melted by around 12pm, was surprised to find that there was actually more and more snow on the ground the closer I got to home (and the coast!). Side streets around here are pretty bad.

This morning was a great reminder of what happens when we get snow of the north sea. High intensity precipitation, big flakes and getting blown around like mad in the wind!

Looking forward to more cold days ahead :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Well that was a pleasant surprise this morning!

Set off from home to work, rain with a little sleet mixed in. By the time I'd reached Benton it was heavy wet snow. By the time I'd got to work near West Allotment it was heavy settling snow which continued unabated for over 3 hours leaving a lovely covering.

Cold and crispy out there now with residual snow cover freezing over.

Posted

A pic of the roads standard around here this morning. Low of -6.2 over night and now -3.2. Ice day ahead i think

image.jpeg

• Like 2