Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted

The main band of heavy snow has almost passed through South Shields now, so I stand by my previous comment- I expect the change to clearer showery conditions and a jump in temperature to around 5C to occur during the next hour or two.  But I think places like Newcastle and Durham will probably only warm to around 2C or so, resulting in a slushy mess for some come dawn.  Upland areas including the North York Moors look somewhat favoured.

Re. ground temps, if the snow is heavy enough and at low enough air temperature, it will settle, as we've just been seeing in South Shields.  The problem is that once you get well inland the snow has only been light.

Agreed! I was more thinking about it stopping around until the morning. But like you say it has been rather light here compared to closer to the coast

Edited by AdrianHull

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sure enough, South Shields is 3.6C and rising, with a 28mph NE wind.  There's less lying snow there than I thought, so it will almost certainly disappear in the next couple of hours.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Hi guys.

Looked fantastic when it was coming down thick and fast in that wind - 2" sized flakes at once point.

Definitely feels wetter now here in Durham. Hoping it'll be there for when the kids wake up. Took some pictures in any case. Although this represents a good start, certainly compared to the last few years, from what I can tell, there isn't much hope for the foreseeable after this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Puppy is loving his first snow. Really good covering here now and I can hear a car struggling.

That's gone a bit wrong sorry.

post-3392-0-18873000-1448069656_thumb.jp

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm
  • Like 2

Posted

turning sleety out there now. hopefully more prolonged snowy spells to come this winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

i just drove from newcastle to morpeth, it was belting down, white out, lying crawling along at 30mph. its all gone already as it has turned to very wet  sleet, almost just heavy rain.

Posted

Well thats me for the night! Was nice to see after last years lull . Going up to High Force in Teesdale tomorrow with the dog to throw some snow balls for him! Night all!

Posted

Been looking at the reports in here tonight with interest. We haven't had much snow here since Jan 2013 so hoping it is the right side or marginal when it arrives. Not long now though the Moors are killing it at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Unfortunately it's raining even here in Stanley, the snow is melting already. It was great to see though, hopefully there'll be a bit left in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Oh dear, was looking forward to throwing somee snow about with the hound as got 4 cm laying now and roads covered but can now here the melt.

Though that might be the new solar panels as they stay warm so melt any roof snow. Heres hoping, it's our second snowfall up here in less than ten days so still a good sign of a possibly stella winter.

It's good to be back though and got good odds for a white one to keep me interested whilst on the festive cheer.

A big hello again to our fellow northerners

post-8844-0-68172300-1448073267_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Got 2-3cms lying here covering all surfaces and with temperature of 0.3c it's still snowing and no sign of a thaw.

For once being west of the Penninies is helping being away from warming influence of the North Sea, need to sky to clear quickly now to get a frost.

Andy

Edited by Penrith Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

post-9595-0-89224700-1448073887_thumb.jp

My new garden light comes in handy on a night like this.

A great start to winter, hopefully a sign of things to come, night all.

Andy

Edited by Penrith Snow
  • Like 4

Posted

There seemed to be about two inches of snow lying at about 2am but then it turned to heavy rain and sleet - and only a few blobs are left now. It has essentially been a very wet night with about 12mm counted. Maximum of 4.3C at 5am
2.1C now and any showers will be snow again I expect.

• Like 1

Posted

just got out of bed, all last nights snow gone, but its just started to snow lightly here

Posted

You are going to need these on your shift then cloud :D

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

:laugh:

Nice short shift this morning!

Was very slushy just before dawn,but temperatures dropped in the clearer air and now lots of ice around and still a decent covering on grass etc.

Looks like some North sea showers on the way.

post-2839-0-61702600-1448095610_thumb.pn

Could be interesting in the early hours of Sunday morning as well. :)

post-2839-0-78767600-1448095862_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We had a thin covering of snow here in Darlo around 01:30 but by 02:00 it turned back to rain thankfully no issues with Ice here despite the low temperature

Posted

Had a good covering when I was woke up by the rain last night (couldn't stay up unfortunately) - least and inch or two that was then swiftly washed away.

Few light flurries of snow this morning. Always think it's more annoying when you do see an event like that as you know what you could have woke up to without the mild sector. Good sign for the rest of winter though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

hi all, as its winter and i love the snow its time for me to say hello in here... seems like we all got some snow last night, woke up around 1.30am and had a good covering and snow falling. then woke up just before 3am and it was already melting and sleety rain falling.

Looks bitter outside this morning... bbrrrr!!!

Posted

Got 2-3cms lying here covering all surfaces and with temperature of 0.3c it's still snowing and no sign of a thaw.

For once being west of the Penninies is helping being away from warming influence of the North Sea, need to sky to clear quickly now to get a frost.

Andy

Pleased to see some parts of Cumbria got  decent cover.. not sure what happened here, I haven't checked the radar images, but it was bone dry this morning.. no precipitation all night.. must have broken up , or not quite made it here.

The fells have a cover, not checked the snowline, but suspect most of it came courtesy of the earlier band of precipitation in the evening.

Dry frost. Lovely morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

We had a covering at 2am but was gone when I got up this morning, current temp 2.7c, hopefully we will get something later tonight