Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat, July 4 and on...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Here's the pic of the snowattachicon.gifIMG_20151121_2437079961.jpg

Looks like you are raking it in :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It appears to be snowing in South Shields, temperature dropped over 2C there as the heavier stuff came over.

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

• Like 1

Posted

still snowing blowing from west to east here, so still no warming from north sea, still settling,

• Like 1

Posted

snow is actually settling on all surfaces trees, pavements washing lines, my fleece as I stood at the back door , i,m enjoying this while  it lasts

Posted

still snowing blowing from west to east here, so still no warming from north sea, still settling,

As long as that continues then it should remain as snow, it could be one of those in time where you don't want the PPN to stick around for too long because the winds should switch to a Northerly and there could be some moderation from the sea as a result.

Radar is certainly better than I expected for the NE mind!  

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Great to hear Cloud, A thin covering here so far, Temp 0.1c Dp -0.1c

Posted

This is incredible!

Not even a frost all Autumn and now i have genuine blizzard conditions.

And barely a frost at all last winter ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

This is really impressive!

Everything is covered, must be a couple of cm's already and lots more to come on radar.

As Cloud10 says I don't think it's an exaggeration to call these genuine blizzard conditions.

EDIT: I'm not in Nottingham, been back in Stanley for nearly 2 years!

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The showers to the north of the main belt are aligned NNE-SSW.  Going by experience of living in nearby Cleadon, I would suggest that South Shields will continue to see snow until the main belt passes over, but hail and sleet showers will follow behind in a gusty NNE wind, washing away most or all of the lying snow.  However, inland parts of the region may well wake up to a covering.

Posted

still snowing smaller flakes, had more snow in the last hour then I think I had in the :) whole of last year. still no north sea warming effect yet! even though I'm about 

8 miles from the coast

Posted

And the latest XCweather shows trouble of what a switch in wind direction can do with Boulmer apparently reporting 5C/3C so I be very surprised if South Shields will stick with the snow during the band and I be surprised if most of lowland Tyneside will keep the snow if/when the wind does change direction. 

As I say though, its still falling snow and its more than what I expected for the NE. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Oh well,up for work at 6am.

Should be interesting. :laugh:

I turned down overtime at 2.2x pay, they thought I was mad! 

Still coming down heavy here and even though it's quite windy there's still the feeling of calm and quiet that snow brings.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted

The showers to the north of the main belt are aligned NNE-SSW.  Going by experience of living in nearby Cleadon, I would suggest that South Shields will continue to see snow until the main belt passes over, but hail and sleet showers will follow behind in a gusty NNE wind, washing away most or all of the lying snow.  However, inland parts of the region may well wake up to a covering.

I'm 22 miles inland and I can't see this sticking. Ground Temps way too warm ;-) The tops of north Pennines will wake up to a few Inches but that's in another world to most of us.

Edited by AdrianHull

Posted

And the latest XCweather shows trouble of what a switch in wind direction can do with Boulmer apparently reporting 5C/3C so I be very surprised if South Shields will stick with the snow during the band and I be surprised if most of lowland Tyneside will keep the snow if/when the wind does change direction. 

As I say though, its still falling snow and its more than what I expected for the NE. 

The main band of heavy snow has almost passed through South Shields now, so I stand by my previous comment- I expect the change to clearer showery conditions and a jump in temperature to around 5C to occur during the next hour or two.  But I think places like Newcastle and Durham will probably only warm to around 2C or so, resulting in a slushy mess for some come dawn.  Upland areas including the North York Moors look somewhat favoured.

Re. ground temps, if the snow is heavy enough and at low enough air temperature, it will settle, as we've just been seeing in South Shields.  The problem is that once you get well inland the snow has only been light.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Oh well,up for work at 6am.

Should be interesting. :laugh:

You are going to need these on your shift then cloud :D

post-16960-0-36852700-1448068782_thumb.j

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

The main band of heavy snow has almost passed through South Shields now, so I stand by my previous comment- I expect the change to clearer showery conditions and a jump in temperature to around 5C to occur during the next hour or two.  But I think places like Newcastle and Durham will probably only warm to around 2C or so, resulting in a slushy mess for some come dawn.  Upland areas including the North York Moors look somewhat favoured.

Re. ground temps, if the snow is heavy enough and at low enough air temperature, it will settle, as we've just been seeing in South Shields.  The problem is that once you get well inland the snow has only been light.

will agree even though its still snowing its got a damper feel outside then it did an hour ago, but still better then I was expecting