Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - 03/07/15 onwards

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Llandudno, lovely town, great views from the Great Orme until you look towards the Irish Sea and see a hideous array of wind turbines.

...........which requires a pair of powerful binoculars in order to be "offended" by them.  I can only just see them from the coast railway line, and even if viewed directly from the Wirral coast which is closest to the Rhyl East and North Hoyle windfarm they can't be described to be "intrusive".  The clue's in the name: North Hoyle and Hoylake (I originally hail from Wirral).  I see the NIMBYs in my area are kicking off at the prospect of a few turbines on Frodsham Marsh.

...........which requires a pair of powerful binoculars in order to be "offended" by them.  I can only just see them from the coast railway line, and even if viewed directly from the Wirral coast which is closest to the Rhyl East and North Hoyle windfarm they can't be described to be "intrusive".  The clue's in the name: North Hoyle and Hoylake (I originally hail from Wirral).  I see the NIMBYs in my area are kicking off at the prospect of a few turbines on Frodsham Marsh.

it's a bit different from walney !!.

Posted

it's a bit different from walney !!

I was commenting on Weather-history's post regarding the windfarm visible from Llandudno.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I have 8 less than a mile from home and 3 of them occupy a moorland ridge directly in view of me.

125m tall and with a base already 100 metres higher than where I live.

I can't see them all of the time, when I'm at work, on holiday or asleep they aren't at all intrusive but when I'm at home they are there, like an annoying neighbour who could have moved anywhere but decided to move in next to you.

Permission to be a Nimby.

Posted

See lots of them spoiling the rolling hill views, when I go to Tandle Hill Park or in parts of Oldham.  Can't have too much wind though, no because then they can't work efficiently...I think when they all going full throttle at once, they might just generate enough power boil the kettle and make a brew... :rolleyes:

The relatively small Burbo Bank windfarm situated near the mouth of the Mersey can produce 90MW, you'd need a bloody big kettle!  Compare that with a typical 600MW steam turbine/alternator set as found in power stations.

Posted

I have 8 less than a mile from home and 3 of them occupy a moorland ridge directly in view of me.

125m tall and with a base already 100 metres higher than where I live.

I can't see them all of the time, when I'm at work, on holiday or asleep they aren't at all intrusive but when I'm at home they are there, like an annoying neighbour who could have moved anywhere but decided to move in next to you.

Permission to be a Nimby.

I was originally commenting on the remarks about Llandudno.  I live ONE MILE from Frodsham Marsh and I wouldn't be bothered.  There is already a huge 400kV Supergrid switching centre nearby with long lines of pylons converging across Frodsham Marsh so I can't see any problem with half-a-dozen so of turbines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I was originally commenting on the remarks about Llandudno.  I live ONE MILE from Frodsham Marsh and I wouldn't be bothered.  There is already a huge 400kV Supergrid switching centre nearby with long lines of pylons converging across Frodsham Marsh so I can't see any problem with half-a-dozen so of turbines.

Apologies Pete, things such as these polarise opinion and whilst I always appreciate that others may not share mine, I strongly feel that our region has had a raw deal when it comes to serving the state.

I'll believe our governments commitment to renewables when I see Hampstead Heath or the South Downs covered in turbines or solar panels.

In fact panels on the roof of the Palace of Westminster might sway public opinion.

• Like 3

Posted

Foggy start to the day.

Posted

Some pics from the storms last night! :-)

It rolled in from the Adriatic around 11pm and kept going till 7am!

The sun is out again but feeling nice and fresh now.

post-5301-0-58997100-1442736315_thumb.jp

post-5301-0-87511400-1442736389_thumb.jp

post-5301-0-55633800-1442736422_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

A tricky drive to work with thick fog for 90% of the journey,this has now given way to nice warm sunshine

C.S  

Posted

Apologies Pete, things such as these polarise opinion and whilst I always appreciate that others may not share mine, I strongly feel that our region has had a raw deal when it comes to serving the state.

I'll believe our governments commitment to renewables when I see Hampstead Heath or the South Downs covered in turbines or solar panels.

In fact panels on the roof of the Palace of Westminster might sway public opinion.

No need for apologies Ian.  I can be terse because it still takes me some effort to write prose (consequence of stroke).  I believe that whenever wind farms are needed they should be sited off-shore.  Even I think the situation on the Southern Uplands is a bit OTT.  However not all infrastructure is ugly, hydro schemes were resisted but many schemes are now regarded to be picturesque.  Unfortunately we all know the effects of burning fossil fuels so we need renewables to help reduce the carbon we are still belching into the atmosphere.  The alternatives are conventional nuclear which takes time to build replacement power stations (and dealing with the nuclear waste), and fusion - if I'm still alive I might even see the first fusion pilot plant being built in France go into action.

Posted

Another dry day but not a patch on Saturday.

Foggy start clearing to a bright and mainly sunny morning but then a cloudy afternoon.

Rain on the way but at least it didn't arrive early enough to spoil the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Very dull non-descript day here, no drizzle, hardly any wind. My lights where on a lot earlier

tonight, I think that's down to it being overcast but it's still depressing, roll on spring 2016!!  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Have been in Liverpool all day and went to the Liverpool-Norwich game. Crap grey skies most of the day, shame. Dry at least.

Posted

Rain has just started here.