Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

7/7....10 years on

We are coming up to the 10th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings. What are you memories of that day? I remember hearing on the news of something major had happened in London. It soon became clear that a terrorist outrage had occurred. The day before London won the Olympics bid for the 2012 Games and it was day of triumph and euphoria, a complete contrast to the following day. However London spirit as it did during the Blitz, stood firm.

In Memory of the 52 victims.

victim_wall_976x634.gif

I was watching the news, then ended up watching it in shock for hours, similar to what happened to me during the 9 11 attack too. It's not that I wanted to watch it. It's just I sort of couldn't do anything or think about anything. Also didn't know where in London family members may have been at the time.

The day before, I got the train to London and got really freaked out by what appeared to be 4 Arabic men with backpacks looking like were rehearsing something. They all looked at eachother, nodded and reached into their bags, then moved along the carriage and did the same thing again and again about 5 times. I went home and told my parents that they were acting strangely and I was worried they were going to do something. I was going to alert a guard but couldn't find one. My parents thought I was probably getting carried away and told me to think nothing more of it.

The next day when 7/7 happened, i completely freaked out. I ended up phoning that witness line that they put up to gather any evidence and I told them what I saw. But they never called me back or interviewed me or anything so I guess it was just some weird coincidence, but I've never forgotten that.

I was on study leave so I saw the whole thing from when they first thought it was a power surge until the reality became evident.

Oh my goodness Lauren that's quite something to carry with you for the rest of your life.

I was in London that day to meet a former girlfriend. We were both travelling separately and looking forward to enjoying the atmosphere after the Olympic announcement, me on a coach into Victoria and her a train also to Victoria. Her train got stopped due to the bombings while the coaches continued on into Victoria.

It was a surreal, terrifying but also good day from the perspective of how everybody pulled together. I ended up spending 3 to 4 hours wandering around the Victoria area while popping into bars/pubs to see what was on the tv news as well as continuously contacting friends/family (including a few Net Weather members) to let them know I was ok.

Finally buses were allowed to leave Victoria, but my pre-booked travel was cancelled so I bundled onto a bus to Heathrow then got another bus to Swindon before being picked up there by my parents!

Looking back I definitely matured emotionally that day.

Shocking to read that Lauren I would not ponder on ifs it would just claw away at you, The fact you spotted something suspicious and attempted to act upon it shows good stead from you, it is a shame you was not more older. The fact you was not called upon is frankly bizzare. On the day London went into a complete standstill I remember watching a fleet of emergency vehicles whooshing past I think there was news coverage all day so you couldn't hide away from it. To me the 7/7 bombings felt different to 9/11 it was more poignant in a sense it felt more raw and intense being on my doorstep no one expected it. God forbid such atrocities happen again on British soil but I believe another planned attack is inevitable, going by the state of the world we live in.

If you knew how often similar plots are foiled and stopped by our intelligence services, you'd not sleep at night.

If you knew how often similar plots are foiled and stopped by our intelligence services, you'd not sleep at night.

.. and also the targets that have been identified and the attacks on those targets thwarted sometimes with only hours to spare. Our defences are being continually probed and assessed which is why any suspicious behaviour no matter how trivial it may appear to be is reported.

Sadly it is only a matter of time before something else happens,they continually change targets and seem to be going for easier targets as time goes by.It maybe only a tiny minority of muslims who are brainwashed[radicalised] but allowing them to live amongst us with 'hate preachers' free to walk the streets[who should be charged for treason] and western powers continually present in muslim countries it will only get worse.Just 30 years to go before we are outnumbered and western Christian civilisation will fall !!!!

I watched A Song for Jenny last night. Not normally my thing but I found it quite absorbing. Particularly the alienation of the father from the family caused by the mother's (brilliantly played by Emma Thompson) obsession with trying to understand why. She was a priest and it conflicted very much with her beliefs.

We are coming up to the 10th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings. What are you memories of that day? I remember hearing on the news of something major had happened in London. It soon became clear that a terrorist outrage had occurred. The day before London won the Olympics bid for the 2012 Games and it was day of triumph and euphoria, a complete contrast to the following day. However London spirit as it did during the Blitz, stood firm.

In Memory of the 52 victims.

I had a dentist appointment so was late in. Tried to get down at Euston tube station but we got all pulled out moved round to where the bus bomb when off we all felt it. Ended up on local radio that night talking about my experience.

I cried when i got home.

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather