Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wouldn't worry about tomorrow's potential. Swings and roundabouts will always happen! We could get lucky, we might not. All depends on the timing and how far west it will get.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Isolated thunderstorm between Worthing and Brighton moving into South Downs. Good clearance to the west should allow a fine end to the day along the West Sussex coast.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

I'm sure I can see a cell to the south west of Chelmsford Essex going up

Posted

Moderate rain here as the front begins to cross, darkening skies to the west.

Posted

Looks like that band of rain is prepping up nicely to my west, shame it will probably develop here and give a good storm further NE 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The rain band is just about to arrive here in Derby. There are signs of intensification but it will have to intensify quick to produce T+L here. Maybe a better chance further north and east. 

Great minds think alike ChezWeather :D

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The rain band is just about to arrive here in Derby. There are signs of intensification but it will have to intensify quick to produce T+L here. Maybe a better chance further north and east. 

Great minds think alike ChezWeather :D

Some big cumulus look like they're going up over Lincolnshire, this could be the start of their probable treat later!

Posted

Have set the camcorder up just in case...sky darkening to the south :D 

Come on baby...lightning activity seems to be dropping to me however :cray:

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some very dark sky's to my West and a breeze picking up. Temp 20c, A few spots of rain just starting now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

post-21143-0-59644900-1435852166_thumb.jpost-21143-0-74627900-1435852167_thumb.j

Do I make anything of these? Or am I just desperate? 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I wonder if that rain band to the west will spark off as it pushes a little further east into the warmer air and slightly higher CAPE

That's what I'm thinking - and I suspect that's primarily the reason for the Met Office's warning. Certainly warm today at 25C - now 23C and humid. We'll see.

Posted

Pic here.. heavy rain now. Nothing sparking..

post-12319-0-78084600-1435852309_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I think this Brighton cell has died electrically...just as its about to arrive... :cray:

Not my year I'm thinking....even if nothing was forecast for today.

Interestingly, didnt notice this before but the 6z NMM suggesting fair bit of SBCAPE around this afternoon, more than GFS was showing last night.

Edited by Harry

Posted

Had 1 strike of lightening to the north west of Birmingham Airport, - hope for those in Derby I would suggest

Like the sound of that. Gone dark and windy here, looks like a storm incoming but radar still looks unimpressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

spotted this on u tube, the north west england storm filmed from the peak district, incredible to think i was under that, rivals a midwest supercell for amount of lightning

Wow that is amazing for the UK, I havent seen anything like that since Singapore. very rare here.

The GFS has downgraded for tomorrow night, I have got to admit the fantastic storms last night and much cooler rainy weather today that is the end of the current thunder spell.

Tomorrow I think will be a non event now, even well into the night I might be wrong, but the energy component has gone. 

Posted

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 02 Jul 2015 - 05:59 UTC Fri 03 Jul 2015

ISSUED 15:52 UTC Thu 02 Jul 2015

ISSUED BY: Chris/Dan

UPDATE 15:52 UTC Tweaks to SLGT over England, added new SLGT to N/NE Scotland

No forecast discussion to due time constraints - apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Posted

spotted this on u tube, the north west england storm filmed from the peak district, incredible to think i was under that, rivals a midwest supercell for amount of lightning, and it is not timelasped 

This is nearly identical to the view I had, pretty gutted that my phone had low battery so I couldnt film. It was amazing to watch the storm drift north and intensify along the way. 

Great storm for the NW and the NE. 

And on another note, the North sea is literally awash with lightning! 

post-17481-0-26500600-1435852994_thumb.p

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early warning from skywarn

Severe Thunderstorm Alert #47

SkywarnUK has isssued a Severe Thunderstorm Alert for the whole of England and Wales and Southern Scotland

Large, isolated thunderstorms are expected to develop with potential for severe weather including 30mm of rain in an hour (upto 50mm in 3 hours locally), frequent lightning, large (>10mm) hail and possible tornadoes.

This alert runs from 1800hrs on Friday 3rd July 2015 until 1200hrs on Saturday 4th July.

Many areas will not see any storms however where they do develop, and as they travel North and Northeastwards during the alert period, there is potential for damage to property
livestock and environments

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

• Like 1

Posted

spotted this on u tube..

Yes it was a sight to behold  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Wow that is amazing for the UK, I havent seen anything like that since Singapore. very rare here

The GFS has downgraded for tomorrow night, I have got to admit the fantastic storms last night and much cooler rainy weather today that is the end of the current thunder spell.

Tomorrow I think will be a non event now, even well into the night I might be wrong, but the energy component has gone. 

what are you basing this on?.......GFS12z progs over 1000 j/kg of mixed layer CAPE over a good swathe of central southern England and the SE, plus some DLS, and decent lapse rates.....the first thing I thought, when I saw the 12z frames for tomorrow night, is elevated storms

• Like 5