Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Maybe when we were much younger things 'seemed' bigger and better? Anyway maybe I was just lucky last night, by being in the right area, tis only my own opinion of course , but that's how I will remember it.

The clues are in his signature though David, he's a bit of a global storm chaser ain't yer Paul. :D  I agree though I'm rather surprised by his marking system. As for myself, I had zero rainfall, a period of brief gusty winds but an amazing light show with lightning outputs of 1/sec at certain times as AJ stated last night at one point during the event. The whole event missed me to the West but I saw over an hour's worth of electrical discharges, some of which were pretty darn close although not overhead,

My opinion is that it was 7 to 8 out of 10 IMBY simply for the light show.

Maybe its because the storms I witness now in the States have ruined it for me in this country

To use a pun, I'd say you're BANG on.  :hi:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

In my view, the storms last night were pretty awesome, but bizarre. I can't ever remember such large cluster of small cells - each cell perfectly formed and discreet in its own right, each kicking out frequent lightning. Certainly wouldn't describe it as an MCS (our traditional plume friends), was more numerous than a standard multi-cell...either way, a first for me something like that. Very much an electrical storm rather than thunderstorm, if that makes sense.

Well chuffed with my forecast I posted at 2pm yesterday afternoon - might be getting a bit better with it now :D

post-3790-0-87211900-1436001299.jpg

post-3790-0-37071000-1436001311.jpg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 9

Posted

Morning all.

Nothing here but distant flashes last night.

After the mauling Bournemouth took lsst night, does the place still exist?

Just about! I have a terraced garden on a hill - last night it was a serious waterfall but so far as I can tell it's still OK

Posted

I have lived in Shropshire all my life (39 years) and i remember some right 'humdingers' but there as been a massive decline in this neck of the woods.  Something has changed as Shropshire just keeps missing out. One thing that you can guarantee round here is stratus clouds ask conor123 lol!! 

probably why we have seen a decline, storms that formed in east or mid  wales was good for this area as we were upwind and a little north east ,  saying that  last night  storms.....  err i mean thundery showers, formed close by here 

• Like 1

Posted

The clues are in his signature though David, he's a bit of a global storm chaser ain't yer Paul. :D  I agree though I'm rather surprised by his marking system. As for myself, I had zero rainfall, a period of brief gusty winds but an amazing light show with lightning outputs of 1/sec at certain times as AJ stated last night at one point during the event. The whole event missed me to the West but I saw over an hour's worth of electrical discharges, some of which were pretty darn close although not overhead,

My opinion is that it was 7 to 8 out of 10 IMBY simply for the light show.

To use a pun, I'd say you're BANG on.  :hi:

For me too it was the constant lightning , and the power cut after one strike that blacked out parts of Romford Chadwell Heath and Collier Row just added  to the occasion :D

Posted

In my view, the storms last night were pretty awesome, but bizarre. I can't ever remember such large cluster of small cells - each cell perfectly formed and discreet in its own right, each kicking out frequent lightning. Certainly wouldn't describe it as an MCS (our traditional plume friends), was more numerous than a standard multi-cell...either way, a first for me something like that. Very much an electrical storm rather than thunderstorm, if that makes sense.

Well chuffed with my forecast I posted at 2pm yesterday afternoon - might be getting a bit better with it now :D

look at the void in most of mid wales, shropshire and up into west cheshire(crewe area) there really is a shield in that area

• Like 1

Posted

Yh sorry just to clarify

2/10 in my back yard

Over the whole of the Uk maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10 for the Lightning, still nowhere near as severe as Wednesday, last year on 19th July or 28th June 2012.

But still good when Differential Thermal Advection actually commenses over the landmass of the Uk and not over Northern France who coincidentially had a Level 2 Bust! See it happens to them as well.

The clue was what I posted last night around 9pm I think with that Warm Front lifting the dewpoints up to 66f and 64f along the south coast, Warm Front zipped through and left initiation over the South Downs with orographic forcing meaning the coast stayed dry and areas further north got the goodies, where this didnt happen was near Bournemouth where it initiated over the sea but still went severe as it rode up over the higher ground further north.

Hope that helps with how this unfolded

• Like 9

Posted

I'm going to defend Paul here as I know what he means. the lightning frequency from my vantage point was awesome - if I counted less than 1,000 strikes and flashes I'd be gobsmacked (could easily be more).

A lot of the lightning where I was (as I was in the middle of it all) was mostly strobe (hence why my videos are likely to be unimpressive) though did see a few amazing CGs. For the UK, frequency I would rate it 9/10, really quite amazing. Thunder I'd rate 2/10 - not a single real clap or boom despite some close strikes/flashes. Rain was limited at best - a few short torrential cloud bursts but that is it - 4/10 (only for the size of the drops when it did rain), no hail, 0/10, no gusty winds, 0/10.

As I say, to my mind it was more of an awesome electrical storm system rather than full on thunderstorm in the traditional plume sense. Being used to powerful MCS (of which there have been 0 since July last year despite 3 plumes now) means the adrenaline didn't go quite as wild last night.

Still....I am certainly not complaining!! It will remain plastered in my memory as one of those memorable nights - 6th August 2008, 28th July 2011, 23rd/24th July 2013, 17th/18th July 2014, 3rd July 2015! :D

Unfortunately am too young to recall the dates of mental MCS' in the 90s and early 00s. Something like 1st August 1999, a massive 4 hour MCS turned fear to fascination. That night will forever stay with me.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Most amazing storms for many years here!

But my question for the experts, why did the beeb met office bang on about storms going up the western side, with a chance of storms further east. Yet it turned out more severe towards midlands and the south east?

The charts were all over the place

Harry You should've seen the storm going up east kent, towards Dover... That was a powerful beast

• Like 1

Posted

Decent storm here, gave out loads of flashes and some loud thunder. Not the best by any means but its the first at night for a long time so i cant complain.

Posted

Anyway not going to get drawn into a arguement over how good the storms were last night, just pleased the lightning gods shared it about a bit after this weeks heat and humidity, if you thought it was the best ever then great, if not thats your opinion, some have a bigger thresh-hold than others I guess when they are thinking about severe storms.

Cant wait for the next lot

Sorry if you lucked out last night Paul but your comments really are IMBY. I have never witnessed such spectacular lightning as yesterday evening's Bournemouth storm, including the 80s and 90s plume events for THIS region. What we didn't have yesterday was the back building that I've experienced in previous plume events but the lighting last night; well it was unquestionably 10/10 in Bournemouth.

• Like 1

Posted

But my question for the experts, why did the beeb met office bang on about storms going up the western side, with a chance of storms further east. Yet it turned out more severe towards midlands and the south east?

Harry You should've seen the storm going up east kent, towards Dover... That was a powerful beast

I could see the cloud top illuminations and was looking a blitzortung while it was happening...that was an awesome cell!!!

I was baffled by they MetO/Beeb forecasts yesterday...it was because the UKMO model along with a few runs of the NMM, ECM and Euro4 (the majority really) were indicating this.

I for one don't understand how or why as the instability was never modelled to reach the west. One of those mysteries I'm afraid - but a lesson I learned long ago. Regardless of the Beeb/Met forecasts, if there's no real instability modelled, do NOT get your hopes up!! Many many a time that disparity has occurred and many a time the storms are where you find the instability!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I'm going to defend Paul here as I know what he means. the lightning frequency from my vantage point was awesome - if I counted less than 1,000 strikes and flashes I'd be gobsmacked (could easily be more).

A lot of the lightning where I was (as I was in the middle of it all) was mostly strobe (hence why my videos are likely to be unimpressive) though did see a few amazing CGs. For the UK, frequency I would rate it 9/10, really quite amazing. Thunder I'd rate 2/10 - not a single real clap or boom despite some close strikes/flashes. Rain was limited at best - a few short torrential cloud bursts but that is it - 4/10 (only for the size of the drops when it did rain), no hail, 0/10, no gusty winds, 0/10.

As I say, to my mind it was more of an awesome electrical storm system rather than full on thunderstorm in the traditional plume sense. Being used to powerful MCS (of which there have been 0 since July last year despite 3 plumes now) means the adrenaline didn't go quite as wild last night.

Still....I am certainly not complaining!! It will remain plastered in my memory as one of those memorable nights - 6th August 2008, 28th July 2011, 23rd/24th July 2013, 17th/18th July 2014, 3rd July 2015! :D

Unfortunately am too young to recall the dates of mental MCS' in the 90s and early 00s. Something like 1st August 1999, a massive 4 hour MCS turned fear to fascination. That night will forever stay with me.

Yes it was definitely a night of electrical activity of a seemingly elevated nature. The frequency of the lightning here was really good, at least 1 flash per second at times and it looked like a strobe disco lol! Great to see but I didn't get much loud thunder or torrential rain so it still doesn't come that close to the 80s-90s-early 00s beasts. But 110,000 strikes is pretty good for the UK, thankfully it wasn't a bust like so many other occasions in recent years. Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

I could see the cloud top illuminations and was looking a blitzortung while it was happening...that was an awesome cell!!!

That storm caused fires and power cuts, it knocked out power towards Herne. The lightning was C-C and C-G, ill hopefully have the video up today

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I did notice during the course of yesterday afternoon looking at the met office forecast map charts that as time went on, the forecasts were bringing the eastern (and especially the South East) side of the UK more and more into play, whilst the West and South West became noticeably less likely to see anything significant. That was pretty much how it panned out.

I went to bed last night expecting a quiet night, so although disappointed, was not surprising.

Posted

Sorry if you lucked out last night Paul but your comments really are IMBY. I have never witnessed such spectacular lightning as yesterday evening's Bournemouth storm, including the 80s and 90s plume events for THIS region. What we didn't have yesterday was the back building that I've experienced in previous plume events but the lighting last night; well it was unquestionably 10/10 in Bournemouth.

Yh i did comment again further along if you care to look, the Bournemouth storm was the best in the country last night by a long chalk.

I would never have even entertained anywhere further west than Oxford, last night, it was clear from model runs that Hampshire/Dorset eastwards would have the most storms last night, dont always rely on weather forecasts on the tv and look at whats in front of you with the synoptics etc.

Edited by Paul Sherman
  • Like 3

From about 1130 last night for at least an hour there was a very good light show to the west of Basingstoke. Considering the sferics were shown as being at least 20m away this must have been an awesome storm for W Hampshire/East wilts area. A bright moon and clear skies to the east also added to the effect, illuminating so great cloudscapes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

A perfect summary for me too.

Except I am old enough to remember the legendary (and not really seen since) all night MCS of the 90's.

• Like 2

Posted

Seems I am not too popular on here today so going back under my rock for the rest of the summer, enjoy the storms for the rest of the summer have a feeling its going to be a long and thundery summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

A forecast for more storms tonight possibly in SE England and East Anglia. Looks like our old nail biter 'imports' this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

managed to capture a few nice lighting strikes

uVMq5qc.png

N1seDkm.png

GbhQsZh.jpg

DDqWfuo.png

vqMJFuR.png

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

listening to radio wimbledon, huge storm there last night, hail damaged church road they say, with I lived further east, further east gets best weather all year

Posted

Having chased both Wednesday night and last nights storm I have to say that although both were great the one on Wednesday night was better. The lightning frequency in that storm are the like I have never witnessed with more than 1 flash every second, last night's were about 1 every 10-20 seconds which is still far better than most UK storms.

No doubt that both late on the 1st July 2015 and early on the 4th July 2015 will go down as two of my more successful and productive storm chases. 

Quite geeky this but I do actually give all the storm chasers I go on a rating dependent on various different factors such as lightning frequency/intensity, thunder, rate of rainfall, winds, hail, clouds, funnel/tornadoes, flooding etc... both these storms fall in my top 20 from around 100 chases - so not bad going :)

An interesting thing about last nights storm for me is that there were different colours of lightning from orange to pink to white to blue/purple and even some greenish tinted flashes.

• Like 3