Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted

every need for the comment whether you or anyone else was drunk or sober, the forecast was pretty accurate in my view

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing storm last night.. can't say I'm not FULLY satisfied ving been hoping for a storm for ages.. from about 11-2am was occupied by the sky's display. Might be a little hopeful but on the radar and in the distance looks to be a Kent clipper this morning. No noticeable sferics yet though just rain on radar.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

every need for the comment whether you or anyone else was drunk or sober, the forecast was pretty accurate in my view

Actually playing the loop I was wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Not a bad night then!

attachicon.gif24hrlightning-0407-0755.png

It's interesting how further east things actually developed, the only place that got hit in the SW was the Poole area, Somerset and Bristol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

To say i'm a happy bunny this morning is an under-statement, an hour of amazing storms, that made up for missing the other times. Something got a direct hit close to us, which woke up the rest of the family but the best thing is how fast it all happened, i went to bed and saw maybe a shower close and by one am I was woken up.

Great night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

Not a bad night then!

That just sums it up! The other night we JUST missed out as the storms sparked just past shropshire! Then last night they miss us again by 20 miles. You cant help but think the weather gods really dont like shropshire lol! So all you guy's  that got a storm im glad you did you deserved it unless you already had some this week then your been greedy and having my share :)

For all those that missed out i feel your pain. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

BBC graphics seem to show a kent clipper for tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well. What a belter of a night. Some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard and probably the most frequent lightning I've seen ever! Reminded me so much of the 90's, it was like re-living it!

I'll upload some footage in a bit :)

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted

Thunder began here in Motherwell around 6 this morning, woke me up and for the next 40 minutes or so we had sporadic lightning and some loud thunder.  Fleeting torrential rain though for the most part just heavy, bad enough to spring a leak in my roof.  Still, that's two fairly tame but nevertheless thunderstorms in the past three days - more than in the previous three years and the best one I've seen for about 9.

Posted

"Its gonna go bang" ! And boy did it! Best lightning show I have ever seen, with the local areas power also being knocked out by a lightning strike! :)

• Like 2

Posted

Gutted to see that 'hole' of little lightning activity. Especially when just north of here seemed to get a storm about 4am. It's actually quite sticky in the house this am compared to overnight. Maybe something for us tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

This is interesting...

214673cedecd8becab797360596a420b.png

Maybe the potential of some more widespread activity in my area tomorrow, surely the SW has got to take a pounding this time around? It's mainly missed out on the action recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Not a bad night then!

Unless you lived in Shropshire! That's just taking the jaffa cakes really. Was up till one chasing and saw nothing but distant flashes!

You got to love the English weather!

So tired!

Glad most of the rest of the UK got something, to be fair that pretty much what forecasts were showing row lines of storms heading north, just unlucky to be in the middle of them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It's interesting how further east things actually developed, the only place that got hit in the SW was the Poole area, Somerset and Bristol!

Bristol didn't get hit, it went to the east of the City and built north of the city.

Saw lightning but wasn't overhead, was to the ESE, over Bath way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Maybe next time eh? Very disappointing here.

• Like 1

Posted

Oooooops!! On the way to the Speedway Grand Prix at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, only got as far as Coleshill and have had a Blow-Out on the M6!!

Found a tyre place, now waiting for tyre fitting.. just phoned the Strife back in Leicester and she is saying she can Still here thunder in the distance??? Can't see anything on radar, is the old girl imagining it????

Edited by Speedway Slider

Really quick intense storm in chelmsford at around 1:00am. tried to get footage but phone couldn't handle the intense frequent lighting like a strobe light, very heavy rain (no hail). Went for a walk at 10:00pm before bed with a refreshing wind blowing around (quite cooling)- but when I went into garden just after storm passed at 1:00 am there was a warm sticky wind, reminded me of a storm I was in at Malta airport back in October'95 (also at night and also with this unexpected warm sticky wind)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What a great night last night and coming at the end of a great week :)

• Like 2

Posted

Quite surprised at just how good last night was! I was slap bang in the middle of it. Well, that's what it seemed like. Flashes to the east and west and loads directly above too. Had a very, very heavy rain shower at one point too. 

This might be a silly question (or one that's already been answered) but were any of these storms supercells? I don't have a great deal of technical weather knowledge. Not as much as some of the other people in this thread! 

Edited by Pursuer of Storms

Posted

Oooooops!! On the way to the Speedway Grand Prix at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, only got as far as Coleshill and have had a Blow-Out on the M6!!

Found a tyre place, now waiting for tyre fitting.. just phoned the Strife back in Leicester and she is saying she can Still here thunder in the distance??? Can't see anything on radar, is the old girl imagining it????

I'm in York and keep thinking I'm hearing distant thunder too.

Posted

As others have said early this morning, decent enough plume event but if you compare it to the beasts we used to get in the 1980's this once again fell very short.

Would rate it as a 2/10 though so at last some Uk Lightning.

Those Plumes in the 1980's would last for 6 hours solid, this one about 2 hours and 4 seperate cells.

Nice to see all the same but nothing worth shouting about!

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly would agree with that.  I can recall some really good thundery outbreaks around here which lasted for many hours.  The storms of the past few days here seemed to have flew past in well under an hour.