Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

We're you at Dunstable? I was at the downs for a bit until I realised I was looking west and the storms were behind me LOL

Haha whoops! Did you still get a good display? I decided to head to a hill that overlooks my area instead. was a good call, by far the best storm in my home town for years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Haha whoops! Did you still get a good display? I decided to head to a hill that overlooks my area instead. was a good call, by far the best storm in my home town for years!

Heh well I'm not from round those parts and I drove towards luton but found a lane with a good view as it approached. Then about 5 mins later I panicked as forks started dropping without warning. I was bricking it at one point - all the roads seemed to go up toward the cloud!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Heh well I'm not from round those parts and I drove towards luton but found a lane with a good view as it approached. Then about 5 mins later I panicked as forks started dropping without warning. I was bricking it at one point - all the roads seemed to go up toward the cloud!

Haha that sounds brilliant! I hope you managed to capture some film of it. was such a good storm had a really fun night in the end and finaly got to test out the slow motion function, check out this strike

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Obviously he has nout better to do then troll a weather forum on a Friday night. What a sad, and worthless existence.

Hope everyone enjoyed tonight's storms. I'll compile my footage at some point and upload here. Night all 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Might be worth keeping an eye on the cell in northern france could be following the path of last nights storms maybe.

Looks more likely to be a Kent Clipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Check out that Norfolk coast,insane

plus,showers backbiulding off the main band.

• Like 1

Posted

I posted about an hour ago expressing what footage i captured and has disappeared wtf :cc_confused:

anyway,at one point i nearly s@@t my self with a close lightning strike,got many clips 4-10 mins long,will upload them as soon as i can :D

wish i was a mod right now,night all.

oh,cells firing up S of Blackpool now and one S of chesterfield,plus some firing up SW midlands

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Thanks for the reports everyone. Needless to say we won't be seeing our 'friend' and his 'images' again.

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks for the reports everyone. Needless to say we won't be seeing our 'friend' and his 'images' again.

Thanks Reef

although i am not a mod,i wish i was then,there is always someone spoiling the party,that aside,what a fantastic night here,but i would say this,it didn't beat the manchester storm but it got pretty lively at one point when i snuck further into the front door :help:

will upload the footage at some point,and i hope that i captured that close strike :D

blimey,5:47am,got to dash. :shok:

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

I seem to remember at the beginning of this week forecasting some records going down on Wednesday. A new July hottest temp record was duly set. However at the time, my prediction was jumped on by a few trigger happy contributors

This time, I predicted a distinct lack of significant storms let alone super cells and it looks like the very same. It just goes to show that weather models tend to be unreliable. I wonder if the new supercomputer at the met office will overcome this in time...who knows?

Enjoy the nice sunset with a juicy barbecue!

Got that wrong then....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Had torrential rain about 25 minutes ago. Now in the last 5 minutes there's been 2 flashes of lightning and one distant rumble of thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

After the storm left, I went into the garden and saw the lightning in the distance. It was awesome!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

How did you feel you coped out Of interest?

just got back up , thought i did quite well but I did take a few more steps than usual didn't look out of windows for obvious reasons used an old mp3 player with earphones to drown out any noise with britney spears songs then just laid down and let it pass which I thought it did pretty swiftly the one BIG thing that I thought helped was that for the last 4 or 5 days until yesterday I didn't visit this thread kept myself occupied with other things and didn't let myself get worked up days before possible event that I thought made the biggest difference and if this happens again for which i hope it doesn't then I'll repeat all these steps worked this time and should also work in the future

Edited by Gordon Webb
  • Like 2

Posted

Absolutely nothing here.

Jokes!

Last night was the most incredible lightning display I've possibly ever seen, but definitely in the last ten years. By the time it arrived I was rather drunk and all my camera settings were basically wrong so I managed to get barely any pictures but my oh my that will live on in the memory.

The dilemma for me was 'shall I pick a vantage point looking east or South west' and because we didn't have a car to hand and lots of heavy stuff I had to pick one and stick with it. Luckily I picked the one looking South west.

Saw the first flashes and thought my mind was playing tricks on me. An hour later it was constant strobe lightning and although I was stood out in the open ontop of a hill I couldn't care less because it was incredible.

Will traul the thread later for pics and stories after I've had a bit more sleep and the hangover wears off.

Pats on the back all round everyone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Wow what a storm, watched it all in the distance just as it got dark from way south of London. I could see the flashes from the tops of the clouds, by about 0030hrs the flashes had grown a lot and was getting much closer. I have not seen a storm with intense lightning frequency on that scale since early 2000's, every few seconds and all over just brilliant. Best of all no real hail of the damaging variety so my nice clean car is still ready for Santa-pod and not destroyed lol.

Posted

I think Gordon can come out of the wardrobe now. :D Are you sure your drains aren't blocked Speedway Slider? :D Anyone who suffers from astraphobia should move to MBY.(Must do the gardening) I always get gentle, soft cell storms, with very quiet thunder and distant lightning. Plus you won't get wet because they hardly ever deliver any rain either. ;)

No, I can almost see the smell as well, it's really weird....

Posted

I wonder if those folk who were making their comments about forecasts etc being wrong, including someone in Sheffield(!) will come on and apologise-doubtful.

Big storm here from about 0230, much lightning and some c-g strikes, rainfall at 61.0mm per hour at 0256 was the heaviest rain, no hail, not sure what time it finished (TS that is).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I can't believe nothing happened here last night, such a shame. The storm shield was activated for the first time in ages! Anyway, as I stated yesterday I did see some T&L on Wednesday but would of liked something last night, we were just too far west...

I'm not really sure why and how I got nothing seen as the conditions were favourable, the only thing I got to see last night was some pretty nice elevated lightning off to my ESE and SE.

Oh well, maybe another day...

Looks like tomorrow I'll get more chance due to Atlantic flow but we shall see on that...

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I wonder if those folk who were making their comments about forecasts etc being wrong, including someone in Sheffield(!) will come on and apologise-doubtful.

Big storm here from about 0230, much lightning and some c-g strikes, rainfall at 61.0mm per hour at 0256 was the heaviest rain, no hail, not sure what time it finished (TS that is).

No need for that comment John plus I was drunk.

Most of the activity was away from the south west and at the stongest on the eastern side rather than the west so the forecast was a off wasn't it some what. Anyway got a storm moved through pretty quick but one of the stronger ones in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well last night was just amazing, in the end it was too much beer that had to put me to sleep. It was still flashing away and thunder rumbling around. Perfect evening!