Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

easing away from Sheffield now, still looks to be intensifying as it heads north. What a great night! (morning lol) best storm in years, waited so long for this :D

Got a few good 5 min vids and enjoyed watching that so much. Its still flashing away now as i type but its quietened down a lot.

I know its 3:30am lol but how on earth am i going to get to sleep, im buzzing wide awake :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What a great evening for storms. I first headed out west to intercept a young cell that had erupted to the west of Birmingham. By the time it passed over me between Uttoxeter and Stafford it was an absolute belter with crazy bright lightning, bolts and gusty winds. I then drove back along the A50 to Derby under frequent flashing, although admittedly it was moving quite quickly to my north. I have just got back to film some flashes as the storm leaves Derby. As I was driving towards Uttoxeter there were branches and leaves on the road, signs of some powerful wind gusts most probably. I also saw a bolt of lightning hit behind the field and a green flash so it must have hit something. 

Okay, I probably would have seen just as much activity staying at home but the lightning was so much better being out in open fields with very little light pollution and decent views as opposed to being in a house on an estate with only the views of other houses. 

I should be tired now, but I am still buzzing :)

Awesome!

Had a similar experience, but to be honest saw very little in the way of lightning bolts. You're right though about the open fields. I could easily have stayed up here but the thrill of the chase got the better of me, and it was great watching the sky fill up with ever-brighter flashes in Newark, and terrifying driving through sheets of rain on the way back!

Some lovely loud booms of thunder here during the last hour but the lightning has died off now as it clears north :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Awesome!

Had a similar experience, but to be honest saw very little in the way of lightning bolts. You're right though about the open fields. I could easily have stayed up here but the thrill of the chase got the better of me, and it was great watching the sky fill up with ever-brighter flashes in Newark, and terrifying driving through sheets of rain on the way back!

Some lovely loud booms of thunder here during the last hour but the lightning has died off now as it clears north :)

I have still to check how many lightening bolts my camera saw. I saw 3 but I spent most of the time sheltering in the car whilst my camera sat on top of a gate filming the storm. I could see the bright flashes and hear the thunder but the rain was too heavy to stand outside. My camera is waterproof so okay in the rain.

Glad you had a good evening. This last week has been remarkable for storms by UK standards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Had a decent enough storm, nothing too close to us though. It always took a good few seconds for the thunder to arrive!

But the strike map tells it all, it was crackers earlier, it's still crackers now!

Strike rate is over 300 pm!

post-9352-0-05756000-1435977772_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Lightning started but no thunder yet. Rain just come on all of a sudden, torrential! Wind really picked up too.

Posted

Deep booming thunder in the distance on its way in this direction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Still thundering and flashing here!

Posted

Slightly terrified as my house was struck by lightning last year (luckily while we were out). Doesn't happen twice though, right guys?! I still love storms

Posted

Just noticed the sun is starting to make an appearance, soon enough the distant lightshow will be obscured from view by the dawning light. Just flickers now however as it edges ever further northeast.

Posted

Woken up by approaching storm about 10mins ago and now it seems it's right above. Terential rain and lightning! Don't think I'll be back to sleep for a while!

What part of York? I'm on outskirts of Heworth off Stockton Lane and thunder is quite distant, literally only now is the rain starting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Well... That was spectacular!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well thats it for here so im off to sleep now. Great night for a lot of us, glad we all enjoyed the storms and had fun :)

Posted

I uploaded another, shorter clip of Wednesday nights distant thunderstorm if anyone is interested :)

Some good IC bolts on this one!

Edited by Malcolm Hielte
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm in Wakefield and I've been up for the last hour watching from my bedroom.

Now 04.05 and seems like it's tailing off.

Nothing over my area directly, all thunder/lightening passing to my west. Heavy rain though.

Back sleep now *-O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Just had a very nice thunderstorm!

Posted

Seemed to of died off before it got going here, still better than nothing but a tad disapointed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Seemed to of died off before it got going here, still better than nothing but a tad disapointed.

Still good to get another night time show. We have had a good week.

Hahahahaha did it not scare you dawg? Thought you southerners got scared by baby thunderstorms dawg?

Sad pathetic troll who has nothing better to do. Go troll twitter idiot 

Posted

Storm seems to be easing here already. Decent enough, probably the best for a year or two, but I've seen far better.