Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted

still going here, frequent lightning, rain eased though

That's odd...thought it would be clear from there by now.

Either the storms have merged or it's slowing down. Maybe the later as the cold front races to catch up the warm front? Dunno.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

You're over Watford way right? I swear a lot of the strikes were right overhead your way, around Rickmansworth and Watford? 

Got a couple of strikes in the chalfonts but most was further to my east and then a band of strikes occurred over High Wycombe way west of here after that. Didn't get anything right over head (as per usual) but I'm not complaining that was some great viewing and I have some decent footage, as long as my olympus camera isn't a pile of crap for lightning, which I'll find out once it's USB'd to the comp. 

Yeah man, it got intense for a while, I could smell burning, some of the strikes were so close! Sorry you didn't get it over head but the rain stopped me from getting decent pictures but I got videos which I am attempting to upload now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think many in the SW will wake up tomorrow with envy. I certainly am it's quite sickening to be so close yet so far. The models looked pretty good for us to start with. So peeved i had no car tonight. I have been waiting to witness a storm like those going on tonight for a long long time. Ah well - I'll get over it!

Fascinating stuff though and clearly once the cap was broken in the SE, it unleashed fury and it continues to rage on into the morning.

Good night all - looking forward to the footage. I think the NSC will be deserted for some time with me propping up the bar.

post-15172-0-61591700-1435972400_thumb.p

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

This latest cell is quite tasty - shotgun thunder, that caused the power to go off and outside lights to go on, continual flickering and a smidge of hail mixed in. :-)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lightning all round me here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Some great lightning and frequent here but lacks the real loud thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease reach Sheffield!!!! Its still looking strong on the radar and slowly trundling north......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Amazing to think that I can still see distant flashes from storms in the midlands!

I can't see a thing and I'm 30 miles north of you. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Not much going on! They seem to be dancing around me, here in steamy NW London, they have barely wet the floor. :blink2:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still flickering away like a Christmas tree. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease reach Sheffield!!!! Its still looking strong on the radar and slowly trundling north......

looking good so far.....

post-9352-0-78634400-1435973125_thumb.jp

post-9352-0-30049800-1435973128_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Can see distant flashes, one every 10 seconds or so!

Posted

actually yes, can see distant lightning and hear rumbling thunder! Amazing how far it can travel. No storm within 30 miles yet id say!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

good luck up north everyone!....it's been a fantastic night for storms for many, but lack of sleep is catching up on me, so I'll say cheerio and good night :)

• Like 2

Posted

Thunder and lightning all round getting closer, starting to rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Can see flickers of lightning now and some rumbles :D

• Like 1

Posted

I can't see a thing and I'm 30 miles north of you. 

Well its either that or another cell is around! But I can assure you, its still going  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Woah my God, that was fantastic - most of it's through here near Tamworth now.  That was the best storm I've ever experienced, wow!

Posted

Thunder and lightning all round getting closer, starting to rain

ITS COMING :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

To me it does seem that the storms too far W where in reality they were all shunted E. Even the dry slot from Portsmouth to Reading was modeled correctly (regarding of having this feature) but it was modeled to be further W.

For me, the HIRLAM model got it bang on.

Edited by Panayiotis