Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Time for a wash..me thinks

Posted

just been ontop of the westbury white horse for an hour that was epic .. flash rates at times was well over 10 a second ...

Edited by Andy Pepler
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Looks like round 2. Lightning has switched back to strobe mode.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

is it just me, or does it look like the 2 areas are starting to fill through the middle and almost starting to merge?

post-9352-0-33975000-1435970216_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Still going strong ! 

Excellent satellite image, one for the archives.

If anybody reading this is situated due North of this beast I would STAY UP until this thing exits into the North Sea somewhere near Tyneside nearer daybreak. You'll miss an opportunity which you might not see again for a few years. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

The storms must be 30 miles to my South, but I can see regular lightning flashes and hear distant booms of thunder. Here's looking forward to a direct hit

• Like 1

Posted

just been ontop of the westbury white horse for an hour that was epic .. flash rates at times was well over 10 a second ... I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad  :)

Same! Great viewing spot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Where are you fellow Bucks spotter? It's dry here, had a few spots earlier but nothing much.

Over the chalfonts way. We've had a few downpours of rain over the last 1 hour or so. One was particularly gusty I had to shut the window as the inside of window-sill became soaking wet. 

As for lightning, must have seen several hundred flashes tonight, most of it out east and north-east of here - looking over west London and Herts way. It's funny how where I live, according to http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime - my village has an invisible protective dome system over it it seems as we only had one strike close by. And unfortunately that strike I just missed as I was walking into another room and I suddenly heard a loud-as-hell gunshot which must've been close, otherwise most were east of us and then a few over High Wycombe way west of here. Got some footage though incl cloud-ground strikes and my absurd reaction to such lightning. 

As I type this the lightning has started up once again eastwards, as it seems there's a cell over London producing around 10 per min at present. Pretty good display really. 

Btw, if people look at the net-weather radar, it appears those in Basingstoke and Reading really did get hard done-by! If you track the storms, they basically dodged those two places to the east and west. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

New cell fired off in Cardif.

• Like 1

Posted

Excellent satellite imagery.

If anybody is situated due North of this beast I would STAY UP until it exits into the North Sea somewhere near Tyneside near daybreak.

Waiting patiently! 

Oh Yes latest radar run looks like its developing nicely again South of Coventry! Come on please survive!! 

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Here's some video footage I took on my phone as the storm came to life over Bournemouth.  My phone didn't do a great job of picking up the strobe lightning but I did manage to catch some nice forks.

Plenty of booming thunder and the best forks at 1.40, 2.44, 2.53 and the closest to me on this vid at 3.03:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvnIsgoLQQ

I think that may have been the pier getting struck 2 minutes 53 seconds in.

Edited by Luke Best
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Absolutely immense storm just passed right overhead. One of the best I have ever seen. Constant flickers around me

Still.

Posted

Well....there was lightning in the peaks, not seen anything for 5 minutes now. bleck. Hopefully the stuff coming into Birmingham will deliver later on.

Posted

Calmed down a lot now. Can't remember a storm like it ever in all my 42 years on this planet. Mental! Worth staying up for if you're in the firing line :bomb:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

More lightning to my South now it seems!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Another storm approaching from the south !!!

Posted

off to bed , nowt going on here anymore, :lazy:  to far west, cant complain seen some sporadic lightning, but the bbc got this wrong for here , it showed all the lighting across the north at 1.00 am  , its mostly eastern central and southern 

Posted

lightning in leicester now!!looks beautiful!!latest image from sat24 looks amazing!!huge cumulonimbus clouds covering central and eastern england!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

After typing my last comment, I received a thunderstorm with hail and a crack of thunder, well its better than nothing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Well the cell that was over Mitcham/Wimbledon exploded 5-10 minutes ago, I could hear people in the area watching just saying oh wow. It really kicked off before heading into North London.

whats causing all the big fun over London? The fronts dont seem close to there so whats causing all that instability? I guess it brings hope to everyone that something can pop up for us still waiting :)

Last cell just passing by to my west...give it another 10 minutes or so then off to bed....what a cracking night :D