Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted

Wow that is amazing for the UK, I havent seen anything like that since Singapore. very rare here.

The GFS has downgraded for tomorrow night, I have got to admit the fantastic storms last night and much cooler rainy weather today that is the end of the current thunder spell.

Tomorrow I think will be a non event now, even well into the night I might be wrong, but the energy component has gone. 

the fact that it was over wigan and manchester make it even more gobsmacking,  one for the history books ,  my fear that 2015 was going to be thunder free was blown out of the water good style,  mother nature making up for lost time ?  

Posted

Cell just formed near Selby and intensifying as it moves north, no thunder yet but gone very gloomy in York

Edit: first rumble of thunder, and another about 30 secs later

2nd edit: possibly some IC spotted, thunder low volume but frequent

post-210-0-64676900-1435853737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mullet69

Posted

Looks like it was filmed from Long Hill (Goyt Valley), had a similar vantage point here in Whaley with extensive views of the storm too.

Posted

spotted this on u tube, the north west england storm filmed from the peak district, incredible to think i was under that, rivals a midwest supercell for amount of lightning, and it is not timelasped 

That's just amazing, going to be searching for those videos all night ! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Ha, that's my video! I did a rubbish job of embedding it on the previous storm thread so thanks for sharing :):D

I was in awe last night, one of the best storms I have ever seen and I was quite glad I wasn't underneath it given some of the damage reported!

Thanks for filming this it came right over the area around midnight last night - monsoon like rain and sky was like a disco.  It's great to see what it actually looked like in the cold light of day/night lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ha, that's my video! I did a rubbish job of embedding it on the previous storm thread so thanks for sharing :):D

I was in awe last night, one of the best storms I have ever seen and I was quite glad I wasn't underneath it given some of the damage reported!

congrats on that video!....That is the most impressive lightning display I've ever seen in a UK storm, and from a capturing perspective, you found the perfect spot for capturing the storm in all its beauty....nice one!  :clap:

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted

thanks for filming my storm :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

what are you basing this on?.......GFS12z progs over 1000 j/kg of mixed layer CAPE over a good swathe of central southern England and the SE, plus some DLS, and decent lapse rates.....the first thing I thought, when I saw the 12z frames for tomorrow night, is elevated storms

A couple of nights ago they were also elevated but could not get going late into the evening on the south coast, the energy is being pushed east . I will be quite happy to be proved wrong :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Brother has just text me to say there is thunder and lightning in Rochester...my old haunt. That's a kick in crown jewels that now...dies here, swerves over my old abode and kicks out sparks....still, nice to have a few dashes of rain to cool the place down, house is still recovering from yesterday lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

There are some good photos on here (one of our local papers) of last night's storm.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13366080.PICTURES_AND_VIDEO__Giant_hailstones_and_night_time_storms_captured_on_camera_across_Bradford_district/

People were still talking about it in the shops this evening!

I didn't try to photograph the lightning or do a video, because I wasn't actually expecting anything. We'd had an evening walk in shorts and t-shirt and come back and had our meal, and I thought it was all over with. Just as we were getting ready for bed the lightning started. I just sat outside and watched. It wasn't until the hail started that I got my camera out. Glad in a way, because I wouldn't have wanted to miss that lightning for anything...

It's just raining here right now and I'm not complaining - I got my fix and I think one supercell was quite enough for the moment...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

Looks like there is something forming over southern Essex at the moment and its heading my way.

Anyone got any gen on it who may be in the area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Good luck you guys down south..you deserve a good storm.

Up here, no chance. Temp has dropped to just 15c (down from 29c yesterday) Lake Vyrnwy just 13c 55f!!

Posted

Naff all in SE Essex - Must be more Central Southern Essex, Bas Vegas to Thurrock moving North, just angry stratus here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A couple of nights ago they were also elevated but could not get going late into the evening on the south coast, the energy is being pushed east . I will be quite happy to be proved wrong :)

I saw 3 storms visible from where I was in Eastbourne, which carried on until well after 1am :).......still, I'll reserve judgment on tomorrow night until, erm tomorrow night...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Looks like there is something forming over southern Essex at the moment and its heading my way.

It's not too impressive - one flash, two rumbles and the sky is clearing. Don't get too excited will you?

Edit : I'm in Thurrock, not too far from the Dartford Crossing. Ooh, another low rumble as I speak!

Edited by Meggy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Brother has just text me to say there is thunder and lightning in Rochester...my old haunt. That's a kick in crown jewels that now...dies here, swerves over my old abode and kicks out sparks....still, nice to have a few dashes of rain to cool the place down, house is still recovering from yesterday lol.

Honestly there was about 2 distant rumbles. You didn't miss anything. He's exagerrating.

Posted

Oh yh on further inspection nice elevated storm just gone up to my west heading North, nice structure as well

Posted

congrats on that video!....That is the most impressive lightning display I've ever seen in a UK storm, and from a capturing perspective, you found the perfect spot for capturing the storm in all its beauty....nice one!  :clap:

Thanks! The only annoying thing was the occasional car coming towards me which would shine at the camera lens but I can't complain really, I just had to zoom in a couple of times to avoid the glare.

Here's hoping for more on Friday night. I'm going to have a trawl later on for videos as I'm sure there is footage better than mine out there. I have more snippets of video which I will go through.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Some convection happening across the North East again, ahead of the front. Cells popping up near York and in Northumberland at the moment.

Edited by Alex95

Posted

Another rumble just now to my West.

Very elevated, no visible lightning, very heavy but brief convective rain shower.

I have a feeling it may build if it can find the energy but don't count your chickens!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Another rumble just now to my West.

Very elevated, no visible lightning, very heavy but brief convective rain shower.

I have a feeling it may build if it can find the energy but don't count your chickens!

Very dark now to my North, but the sun is out now in the south.