Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheeky_monkey

Tips for keeping cool on summer nights

are you excited about the prospect of some hot summer days in the next 2 months or so but also dreading the payback of those sleepless humid summer nights?

why not share your tips for keeping cool in the bedroom for everyone to try..the more unusual the better!

Put a hot water bottle in the fridge, freeze the pillowcases*..... :D:cold:

*may not work...

Cry a little because it's so unpleasant, then the evaporating tears provide a brief moment of relief.

I used to open the curtains as well as the windows, but my room is on the ground floor these days so that's no longer possible.

Put a hot water bottle in the fridge, freeze the pillowcases*..... :D:cold:

*may not work...

this was going to be my tip..put your pillows in the freezer for 10 minutes and if you have 4 like me ...then put 2 on the bed and lay on top of them and put the other two you so you are in the middle like sandwich..does work for about an hour which is enuff to get you to sleep.

Close the blinds during the day in the rooms where and when the Sun is shining directly in.   

Fill the fridge with plenty of cucumbers or enough to cover your average bed. Once chilled remove and place in bed. No sheets required. Or just sleep in the garden? Hammocks have their uses.

In my current apartment I can't have the bedroom windows open at night as although it is mostly quiet it only takes one person to drop a pin in the courtyard and it sounds like a machine gun has gone off. It's a small yard surrounded completely by tall buildings so echo is crazy. Also cigarette smoke tends to waft its way up here too so windows firmly closed at night sadly.

I am keeping the blinds closed in the day on the hotter days and using a small fan during the night. Then just wear nothing and lie still. Had some toasty nights here but certainly it hasn't stopped me sleeping.

Hammocks have their uses.

Yes i actually look forward to sleeping out under the stars in the Hammock.. All windows/Blinds/Doors & Curtains in complete lock-down here today. 

It is nice sleeping outside until it is warmer outside than inside with 35c expected tomorrow day and night it is going to be scorching outside, windows are staying shut as only hotter air will enter.

The flaw of sleeping outside is that it starts getting light from 4am!

Eye mask? Ear plugs (noisy clucks) and the friendly milkman. If they still exist that is? Bird song? Actually stick with my cucumber theory, all should be cool. Going to bed in a giant bowl of jelly?

Have a vindaloo curry, lots of caffeine... All around a fire. Haha.

Liquid nitrogen.

Eye mask? Ear plugs (noisy clucks) and the friendly milkman. If they still exist that is? Bird song? Actually stick with my cucumber theory, all should be cool. Going to bed in a giant bowl of jelly?

For no apparent reason, going to be with jelly and a cucumber, sounds a wee bit 'Ooh Matron'! :D

For no apparent reason, going to be with jelly and a cucumber, sounds a wee bit 'Ooh Matron'! :D

What was the question again :-)

Or you wake up face to face with a burglar. :bomb:

Simple and cheap air con

2 bottles (I use 2x2 pint plastic milk ones from any supermarket/shop), fill with water, freeze them.

Stand the frozen bottles a few inches apart and place a fan behind them so that it blows air through and around them in your direction.

May want to stand the bottles on something like a tray to collect any condensation/melt though.

Simple and cheap air con

2 bottles (I use 2x2 pint plastic milk ones from any supermarket/shop), fill with water, freeze them.

Stand the frozen bottles a few inches apart and place a fan behind them so that it blows air through and around them in your direction.

May want to stand the bottles on something like a tray to collect any condensation/melt though.

I've always thought about trying something like this, does it make a noticeable difference?

I've always thought about trying something like this, does it make a noticeable difference?

Yup, works a treat, it is just like a fan heater but in reverse, you are blowing over a cold source not a hot one.

Yup, works a treat, it is just like a fan heater but in reverse, you are blowing over a cold source not a hot one.

I suppose I should have more faith in the physics :D

It's a simple but effective tip.

Run your wrists palm side up under cold water or hold a very cold bottle of water between them roughly where your pulse point is. It really works!

I suppose I should have more faith in the physics :D

Indeed, it all makes sense when you think about it :)

Perhaps tonight won't be too bad for sleeping here after all. We're already down to 16.7C after the max of 26.9C. 

There are benefits to being 7 miles from the coast, though I suspect it might be getting a bit chilly if you're in a beer garden!