Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheeky_monkey

Thoughts on a new phone

Im in the market for a new phone. At the present time im rocking an iphone 4s sim only. Im looking for something a bit more up to date without the huge price tag. I do have an iphone 5 which is my old Canadian work phone but is locked to telus and im going to keep in case I go back.

Any way looking for some tips on good phone for between £150-£250. I have looked at the Samsung alpha and the A5 and also the Moto X. Anybody have these phones or anything else you might recommend?

I just picked up a vodafone smart prime 6...£79 for the phone and £15 for unlock code.....1.2gz quad core cpu, 1gb ram, 8Gb storage expandable to 64gb, 8mp camera and 4G network...very impressive 5 inch HD display

The MotoG is still very good value especially if you aren't bothered about 4G

The MotoG is still very good value especially if you aren't bothered about 4G

my son has the Moto G which i got for him chrimbo 2013 very good phone better than my iphone but not option for me having the same phone

The question is.. what OS would you consider using?

Windows Phone gets mugged off a lot, but, owning four phones with the latest version (all upgradable to Windows phone 10) I can tell you, it is a great operating system. 

Hands down, you'll get better battery life than iOS or Android, due to the fact, you don't need a Googolplex-core and a nuclear-fed GPU to run the software competently.

I've just bought an LG G4 (mainly because i'm camera-centric) the battery life is pretty poor compared to my Lumia 930, for instance.

However, i also own an LG G3, after using that, it was the main reason for buying an LG G4, if you'd be happy with a second hand phone at around £200, i'd recommend one of those.

The question is.. what OS would you consider using?

Windows Phone gets mugged off a lot, but, owning four phones with the latest version (all upgradable to Windows phone 10) I can tell you, it is a great operating system. 

Hands down, you'll get better battery life than iOS or Android, due to the fact, you don't need a Googolplex-core and a nuclear-fed GPU to run the software competently.

I've just bought an LG G4 (mainly because i'm camera-centric) the battery life is pretty poor compared to my Lumia 930, for instance.

However, i also own an LG G3, after using that, it was the main reason for buying an LG G4, if you'd be happy with a second hand phone at around £200, i'd recommend one of those.

heard windows phone lack apps? not had andriod before as always had work phone which were blakcberry then iphone so just fancy a change..dont want soemthing too big in the hand so ruled out the s5 apparently the s5 mini is a far inferior phone so not interested in that...will look at the LG 4 but again looks rather hefty size wise.

Android > Sony Xperia Z3. Waterproof, good camera and great battery life. Not sure about the Z3+ or any devices that use the Snapdragon 810 processor. Had the HTC M9 and the battery life was not great. I think that the 810 was supposed to be a great proc but overheats resulted in software tweaks to throttle it back.

I actually ended up with a Dual SIM Xperia Z3 in copper. Where I work I get no EE signal whatsoever so set it up to forward calls to a GiffGaff PAYG card (uses O2 network which does have signal in my building) when I have no EE signal.