Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

feb1991blizzard

When in Birmingham in the early 90s did it snow in late spring / early summer

My mates missus says it was June but im trying to prove it didn't by way of meteociel archive but she doesn't understand chart, would be most grateful if someone could help, I think it was a May of either 90 or 91 not June.

I can't remember a May snowfall in the early 90s, but it certainly snowed here in N Worcs on 6 May 1997. There was fairly widespread snowfall down to the N Midlands that day (according to Trevor Harley), but I think we were one of the southernmost places where it settled, albeit for just an hour or so. It was quite a shock to the system, as election day five days earlier had been warm and sunny!

After temps during the previous week (including GE Thursday) over 21C, temps began to fall rapidly over the weekend and if I remember correctly the Monday was a Bank Holiday with increasingly cold heavy rain all day.  Tuesday dawned with a light coating of snow and/or graupel with the N.Wales hills solid white.  Bear in mind this is from memory nearly 20 years ago.

There was some high level snow in May 93 in the north, but nothing low level. May 90 was a very warm month. June 91 was very cool but didn't deliver any low level snow.

17th May 1995 snowed in Shropshire, not sure about Birmingham. Nothing in the early 90s (May 1990 was very warm, 1991 cooler but dry, 1992 warmest of the century). Early April 1989 was the only time I remember it snowing in spring between 1987 and 1995.

Thanks for the replies, I did remember around this stated period though lying snow on the news in Kent but definitely pre summer, it was may, cant find anything DEFINITIVE to back it up though, I thought may 90 myself.

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather