Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spikecollie

Tunisian murders

Just seen this on the news - at least 28 foreign tourists murdered by extremists on holiday. Is there no end to this horror...?

Just seen this on the news - at least 28 foreign tourists murdered by extremists on holiday. Is there no end to this horror...?

It seems the intent is to both kill and destroy the tourism of Tunisia which will cause civil problems and its an attempt to destabilize the country. ISIS can't stand the fact that Tunisia's government is now more secular. The only thing close to a successful Arab Spring now being pulled apart by this vile murdering scum.

I hope Bush and Blair can sleep at night, their actions in Iraq delivered the perfect breeding ground for ISIS to grow. They both deserve to rot in hell.

Agree 100%.

Me too. Terrorists like those are miserable excuses for 'human beings'...Let them rot!

Just in: At least five Britons were killed in an attack on a beach near the popular Tunisian resort town of Sousse, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said.

37 innocent lives taken by utter monstrosities of a human being(s). Tragedy is it will happen again.

It seems the intent is to both kill and destroy the tourism of Tunisia which will cause civil problems and its an attempt to destabilize the country. ISIS can't stand the fact that Tunisia's government is now more secular. The only thing close to a successful Arab Spring now being pulled apart by this vile murdering scum.

I hope Bush and Blair can sleep at night, their actions in Iraq delivered the perfect breeding ground for ISIS to grow. They both deserve to rot in hell.

Not convinced one should blame Bush and Blair for vermin throwing allegedly gay men off buildings or making young girls sex slaves but on the wider issue of ISIS and all the weapons they have - who IS ACTUALLY funding them?

When are we going to wipe out the jihadist cancer? 

When are we going to wipe out the jihadist cancer? 

We can't. Only Islam itself can solve this.

Turkey for one, sits by and watches the brutal barbaric ISIS reap havoc along its border. Its time for moderate muslim countries like Turkey, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Egypt, Malaysia and Indonesia to get involved.

Not convinced one should blame Bush and Blair for vermin throwing allegedly gay men off buildings or making young girls sex slaves but on the wider issue of ISIS and all the weapons they have - who IS ACTUALLY funding them?

They bear a lot of responsibility for this. The car crash they made of Iraq allowed this vacuum to happen which has now been filled by ISIS. The unpalatable truth is that these countries were better off with dictators who ruled with an iron fist. The only remotely successful result of the Arab Spring is Tunisia but how long will that last?

Wahhabism, given a rocket fuelled propulsion by oil money, since the 70's, is the root of this IMHO. Definitely Blair and Bush (and Cameron too) didn't help a jot though.

Bloody depressing (and absolutely sickening) seeing those dead and injured people, in their swimsuits, who'd just gone for a week or two of relatively cheap sunshine and would have been much looking forward to it. :(

Sadly this will continue getting worse. Sadly the beheadings yesterday in France hardly get a mention and there was also an attack in Kuwait on a mosque which also hardly doesn't a mention. 

The only people who can solve this is the Muslim world itself. However they don't seem willing too apart from a few who are then hounded and targeted by extremists.

They bear a lot of responsibility for this. The car crash they made of Iraq allowed this vacuum to happen which has now been filled by ISIS. The unpalatable truth is that these countries were better off with dictators who ruled with an iron fist. The only remotely successful result of the Arab Spring is Tunisia but how long will that last?

They have to bear part of the responsibility, at least...If the response to 9/11 had been more measured climical and long-sighted, we may well not be in the position we now find ourselves?

They have to bear part of the responsibility, at least...If the response to 9/11 had been more measured climical and long-sighted, we may well not be in the position we now find ourselves?

It was happening anyway and the response to 9/11 just speeded things up by about 30 years.

It was happening anyway and the response to 9/11 just speeded things up by about 30 years.

Maybe yes, maybe no? That could be the West's way of self-exoneration...

But nothing I've said can, or will, justify such mindless barbarity the world saw, yesterday; the perpetrators of which need to be severely dealt with.

Maybe yes, maybe no? That could be the West's way of self-exoneration...

But nothing I've said can, or will, justify such mindless barbarity the world saw, yesterday; the perpetrators of which need to be severely dealt with.

Maybe, and western foreign policy and military intervention does have a lot to answer for, but ultimately people make their own choices, we are not to blame for all the troubles in the ME/North Africa. There have always been nutters that commit such atrocities, and there always will be regardless of whether we become isolationist and stay out of their business in future, or wade in all guns blazing; damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The 'nutters' were always there but had been contained/isolated by dictatorships - the destabilisation after the wars and western meddling allowed the gates to open but IMO, the biggest event that has allowed for expansion of extremism is the birth of global social media.

When isolated, they had no audience to indoctrinate apart from their own kin, now they have a 'world is your oyster' scope for implanting their vile ideologies in youth who then feel alienated and disenfranchised of their heritage.

Social media is a wonderful tool but it is also one of the most dangerous weapons ever designed!

Social media can be used against them but we're not very good at it.

At home we are still sleep walking towards an attack like this while we allow Jihadists to return. These guys and girls won't be planning to buy us flowers I can guarantee  that.

The 'nutters' were always there but had been contained/isolated by dictatorships - the destabilisation after the wars and western meddling allowed the gates to open but IMO, the biggest event that has allowed for expansion of extremism is the birth of global social media.

When isolated, they had no audience to indoctrinate apart from their own kin, now they have a 'world is your oyster' scope for implanting their vile ideologies in youth who then feel alienated and disenfranchised of their heritage.

Social media is a wonderful tool but it is also one of the most dangerous weapons ever designed!

Can't disagree with that. Although I'd argue that even the most oppressive dictatorships have never completely contained them; terrorism isn't new. Also, western intervention hasn't been the only insidious influence in the Muslim world, divisions within Islam itself shouldn't be underestimated.

I agree entirely with your internet/social media point - it's allowed anyone with a genuine or perceived grievance to peddle it around the world and imprint it on to the naïve and impressionable.

divisions within Islam itself shouldn't be underestimated.

At least when they busy killing each other in the name of Allah they generally not disturbing anyone else. It's rare although not entirely unheard off that you have conflict between between Muslim groups in other countries away from the ME.

In the meantime we can all feel safer. Cameron is having a Cobra meeting and increasing security at public events.

At least when they busy killing each other in the name of Allah they generally not disturbing anyone else. It's rare although not entirely unheard off that you have conflict between between Muslim groups in other countries away from the ME.

In the meantime we can all feel safer. Cameron is having a Cobra meeting and increasing security at public events.

Am I the only one who gets a mental imagine of Dave and co kicking back clutching a certain Indian beer whenever I hear "Cobra meeting"?

Unfortunately people in the west do not realise how it is going to end,Isis do! Cause havoc in the middle east and Africa which will flood Europe with migrants a good percentage Muslim.These people will grow up feeling hated by the westerners as we don't want them all here,feeling isolated many will be drawn to this brutal ideology.The fact is the much heard statement 'it has nothing to do with being muslim' is incorrect ,it is EVERYTHING to do with being muslim.It is a mathematical certainty these attacks will become widespread throughout Europe unless the west stands up before it is too late!

Tunisia are at least brave enough to do something we won't close Mosques known to have connections to preachers of hate. They know that if they don't there way of life is under threat.

Anyone who proposed the same measures here would be labeled a racist, suffering from islamphobia (which doesn't exsist by the way) and would be berated by the press.

When we were at war with Germany we didn't let Germans roam around our streets because they posed a risk to our security. That didn't mean that all Germans were bad people, Bert Trautmann lovely chap but not free during wartime.

We are by our own governments admission at war with ISIS which is a branch of Islam. The question I raise is that if you allow Muslims to be part of our free society you open up that society to extreme risk. Where I would not go as far as saying we need to ban or incarcerate all Muslims in the UK. I would say that Muslims should not be surprised they are met with fear and suspicion by the rest of us, we are acting in a very human way.

The fact is when I see a young Muslim guy with a back pack or 2 women in full Burkas I am out of there, and I am not the only one who feels like that. This coupled with the States inability and impedance to get to grips with the problem, often hiding behind the libertarian view of the 'R' word for non involvement. Has lead to even bigger divides in our real world communities that the establishment doesn't even accept exists. Muslims far from being help by liberalism have actually been driven together in ever tighter non controlled communities, well that's non controlled by the State. This gives rise to extremism to take hold unhindered and completely away from main stream society.

This is yet another terrible atrocity which takes us closer to the next one on our Islands. Our government and our Liberians need to wake up and see what is really happening in our towns and cities and get involved. And yes Islamic communities and leaders do need to be answerable for what they are up to as well.

The real hero of the Tunisian attack was this man, Moncef Mayel, a 56 yr old builder. He floored the gunman by throwing floor tiles at him from a roof terrace. The few moments whilst the gunman recovered his senses and scrambled to his feet bought precious time for those fleeing and allowed the police to locate his whereabouts. Asked why he did it he said, 'It was my duty as a Muslim.' There is very little mention of him on the mainstream media (maybe because 'good' Muslims aren't fashionable) so I thought I'd give him my support. Well done mate.

I came across this story above on Face Book - his action showed good old fashioned common sense and courage - I agree with the caption, 'Well done mate' - it's such a pity that there are not more like him - if people took common sense actions instead of pontificating the world would be a SAFER PLACE.

I feel desperately sorry for the ordinary Tunisians who rely on the tourists currently fleeing their country to make a living.

It's a sad situation, and you can't really blame people for leaving for feeling unsafe. But in a way it's kinda playing into the hands of ISIS; they want to create an atmosphere of fear and cause destabilisation to create the environment they need to exert more influence and draw more into their ranks and ideology.

It'd be great if the world responded with record tourist numbers to Tunisa, but I can't see that happening any time soon.