Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighPressure

Women's World Cup

Surprised we don't have a thread for this. I have been watching some of the matches and I wondered what others thought of the quality of play from the women?

Will the womens game ever be taken seriously, is this a kick start for the game or just a novelty?

Surprised we don't have a thread for this. I have been watching some of the matches and I wondered what others thought of the quality of play from the women?

Will the womens game ever be taken seriously, is this a kick start for the game or just a novelty?

i watched the first Game or should I say the 1st half between Canada and China simply because it was in Edmonton where I used to live and as I have been to the commonwealth stadium a few times. Anyway it was straight after the champions league final and the football was truly awful in comparison was more like watching pub football..not watched it since im sorry to say.

I've struggled to watch the women's football as the pace of the games are too slow but some of the girls have great skills. I think the game would improve enormously if the woman's game was played on a smaller pitch.

I do think a women's build is suitable to playing competitive Football - I've watched a few games and none of them are transcending. Germany 10 - 0 Ivory Coast just illustrates the lack of pool of talent globally.

I do think a women's build is suitable to playing competitive Football - I've watched a few games and none of them are transcending. Germany 10 - 0 Ivory Coast just illustrates the lack of pool of talent globally.

The game will move forward with such coverage which hopefully will encourage young women into the game. I'm equally sure if we could go back in time and see coverage of a world tournament at the same stage of development as the women's game is today in the men's game we would probably make the same comments about the men.

I have watched a few games and most have been entertaining with some great skill on display and in particular the second half of the swiss v cameroon game and cameroon's number 7 great skill scored one setup the second I'm sure she would run rings round many a bloke her own age

We should stop trying to compare the two games and appreciate the skill and endeavour the girls bring to the game

The game will move forward with such coverage which hopefully will encourage young women into the game. I'm equally sure if we could go back in time and see coverage of a world tournament at the same stage of development as the women's game is today in the men's game we would probably make the same comments about the men.

I have watched a few games and most have been entertaining with some great skill on display and in particular the second half of the swiss v cameroon game and cameroon's number 7 great skill scored one setup the second I'm sure she would run rings round many a bloke her own age

We should stop trying to compare the two games and appreciate the skill and endeavour the girls bring to the game

I agree with your final sentence unfortunately Football is a Lads sport as it has always been. There's no doubt some of the girls are uber talented it is nice to see more coverage which should hopefully draw more into the exciting game. I think in this current generation it is considered a taboo for girls to get hot and sweaty playing a typically male dominant sport, it seems to me a large majority are interested in makeup and all that crap. Our perception on gender and what this equates to in opportunities needs to change.

Interesting to see the comments on here, one thing you may not know is that Arsenal Ladies play at Boreham Wood FC and its their money which has seen Boreham Wood Mens team progress to the conference national this season.

Having said that and having watched a few of these games, although some do possess decent ball skills. They lack in nearly ever other aspect of the game. Physically you would expect, the pace just isn't there, but most of all the use of the pitch is minimal. The game may well progress but one worries about the introduction of the Russian shot putter type it will need.

I don't think that any of the Women's teams could beat any adult Men's side playing at any step of the Pyramid, not even close.  

Well we've equalised against Norway supposedly the header was terrific I think otherwise.

England is ahead a rather good strike - but even David Forde would have saved it.

England is ahead a rather good strike - but even David Forde would have saved it.

If it wasn't for the Copa America, then I would have watched more of the World Cup. Have there been any memorable games yet?

Yes even as a somewhat average keeper in my time that shot was setup for a nice picture book save. Keepers side, saw it all the way and within reach. If the pundits are honest it goes down as a ricketts by the gk.

There seems to be far fewer prima donnas in the Women's game, fewer egos and if they go down holding their knee there was probably a stud in it seconds before. That's one aspect in which they are superior to a lot of men in the game. Other than that? No. Women simply don't have the physical attributes to ever compete with men at parity on a football pitch.

I think goalposts need to be smaller for the women's game. You can't have the same sized goalposts when women on average are shorter than men.

I think goalposts need to be smaller for the women's game. You can't have the same sized goalposts when women on average are shorter than men.

I have thought this too as the goalkeepers often look the worst on the pitch I think. The drawback would be less scoring.

B.  :)

I have thought this too as the goalkeepers often look the worst on the pitch I think. The drawback would be less scoring.

B.  :)

Perhaps. Although Bronze's strike was a good one last night, I can't help but feel that an average male goalkeeper would have reached it. The Norwegian keeper is only 5ft 8!

Perhaps. Although Bronze's strike was a good one last night, I can't help but feel that an average male goalkeeper would have reached it. The Norwegian keeper is only 5ft 8!

I think the media should stop patronizing both the players and watching audience, we cannot have the same commentator saying how good a keeper has been when we can all see that they haven't. The fact about last nights England winner was it was seen all the way, it was not in a top corner and was reached by the keeper who then made a rickets of what should have been a fairly comfortable turn around the post.

These are not amateurs but full time professional footballers, and truth is that if Arsenal's keeper did that they would be replaying his blunder all day and saying 'we told you, you needed a new keeper' !!!

That was followed up by the USA match where the Colombian (2nd choice) keeper again made a blunder at the near post.       

As a Norwegian fan (due to Norwegian ancestry) very disappointed in last night result.

As others have said not the best goalkeeping for the winning goal.

I think the media should stop patronizing both the players and watching audience, we cannot have the same commentator saying how good a keeper has been when we can all see that they haven't. The fact about last nights England winner was it was seen all the way, it was not in a top corner and was reached by the keeper who then made a rickets of what should have been a fairly comfortable turn around the post.

These are not amateurs but full time professional footballers, and truth is that if Arsenal's keeper did that they would be replaying his blunder all day and saying 'we told you, you needed a new keeper' !!!

That was followed up by the USA match where the Colombian (2nd choice) keeper again made a blunder at the near post.       

Do you watch the Women's Wimbledon Final and if Serena misses a shot, or sends down an ace, say "Djokovic would have had that, no sweat!"

I don't think it's really fair to compare men and women like that. Personally I wish them all the best and will do my best to watch England in the future games. Hopefully it'll be onwards and upwards for women's football, but I concede it'll probably need the female demographic to play a bigger part (mostly spectating) for it to make the great leap forward, in terms of pay etc. :)

Do you watch the Women's Wimbledon Final and if Serena misses a shot, or sends down an ace, say "Djokovic would have had that, no sweat!"

I don't think it's really fair to compare men and women like that. Personally I wish them all the best and will do my best to watch England in the future games. Hopefully it'll be onwards and upwards for women's football, but I concede it'll probably need the female demographic to play a bigger part (mostly spectating) for it to make the great leap forward, in terms of pay etc. :)

I do understand that women will not have the same strength as a man, but taking the example of tennis. The womens game is slower but technically its still very good. Top women tennis players do not miss hit the ball anymore than a man does, and a good passing shot is the same for both. All I am saying is that technically the womens football game is poor. 

its true that the female game is young and it needs more funding, but we should not set a different set of rules because the players are female.

This absolutely.

It saddens me that our womens team are often far more successful than the mens teams and yet there is barely any coverage. OK, it may not be as fun to watch, but I see no reason why we shouldn't be celebrating their accomplishments all the same.

The more coverage it gets and the more funding it gets and in turn the more money it makes, the better it will get. If you watch footage of a mans match back in something like the 1920's, it's totally laughable compared to today, so i think your point is a very valid one.

The sad thing is to be a woman in a very male dominated arena (no pun intended) sporting or otherwise, it's not good enough to be excellent, you have to be exceptional in order for anyone to take you seriously. Women are often held to a higher standard than their male counterparts and that's not fair

Well at the moment they are looking very good compared to the England men's under 21 European Cup fiasco.

Well done to the women. They beat Canada 2-1 to reach the semi finals. I didn't see it but apparently a great backs to the wall effort after scoring twice in the first half.

Ill be watching tonight. I'm not impressed with the standard but its a world cup semi final and England are in it !

I do understand that women will not have the same strength as a man, but taking the example of tennis. The womens game is slower but technically its still very good. Top women tennis players do not miss hit the ball anymore than a man does, and a good passing shot is the same for both. All I am saying is that technically the womens football game is poor. 

its true that the female game is young and it needs more funding, but we should not set a different set of rules because the players are female.

A average mens pub team would beat the England ladies

However a average county tennis  player (man) wouldn't always win re top world ranked women tennis  players

So many missed passes, balls going out,  best run of passes seems to be about 3. 

I had never seen women's football before and didn't know it would be so poor

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather