Summer Sun

Premier League Discussion

3 hours ago, Zak M said:

This is my opinion so I'm expecting people to disagree, but no way in hell was that a red card. That challenge from Son was a yellow card-worthy challenge, even the ref showed him a yellow card. But after the ref looked at the injury, he changed it to a red? Looking at the replay also, if I'm not mistaken, he broke his leg when it collided to the ground/Aurier, causing it to twist the wrong way. But, once again, this is my opinion, so if you disagree, then that's fine.

I feel sorry for both of them. Son, by his tears, showed that he was deeply sorry about the 'challenge'.

No, you're quite right. It wasn't a red card challenge, I suppose it could be rescinded, but whether Son will be in any mentally fit state to play for a few games anyway is a question.

I think it's best for Atkinson to be taking out of the firing line for the foreseeable as its been a tough couple of weeks for him. Only he knows why he changed his mind but no doubt when he saw the extent of the injury, it would of turned his mind somewhat, it got too, he's only human.

One thing I will say though, whilst I sympathise with Son, it was a poor tackle with no intent to play the ball and to bring the man down. Too me, it was as Wenger once quoted, Its an orange card tackle where I think some refs would give yellow but some may give it a red card. 

Oh and as for VAR, please just please just look at those lovely monitors and stop relying on the VAR to make every decision, it's totally wrong and its so frustrating that STILL referees are not the ones who are deciding what is a penelty and what is not a pen. 

People are calling to get rid of VAR and Riley must be grinning from ear to ear as no doubt he will get his wish because he never wanted it anyways. And the amazing thing is that Riley did not done enough research as apparently in the Bundesliga, they did a similar approach of not using the monitors and it was scrapped because it did not work so now they are using the monitors. I do get the impression the PL must think a ref going to a monitor looks silly and other leagues do it for a show but it's the PL which is the laughing stock at the moment. 

As I understand it, by the letter of Premier League law, if a yellow card tackle causes significant injury to a player then it is a red as it is automatically deemed 'dangerous play' or endangering an opponent.

What was Son doing lunging in from behind anyway? It was his tackle that caused Gomes to lose his footing and get clobbered by Aurier. I've seen a still where Aurier has planted his foot on Gomes's weight bearing foot which ultimately meant his ankle snapped due to momentum.

6a6bfafe3afb3c70484f27f536d0fbd856172b58

Son's challenge was bad...going in for a ball he was never going to get from behind, studs showing and in on Gomes's weight bearing leg. No way the card gets rescinded IMO

yCtBZPO.png

Edited by CreweCold

Andre Gomes will have surgery today after suffering a fractured dislocation to his right ankle yesterday.

Edited by Summer Sun

Like I say it's a poor tackle with no intent to play the ball and to bring the man down but what people are arguring is that the tackle did not directly cause the injury so it should only be a yellow and Atkinson was only going to show a yellow until he saw the injury. If that is a PL rule/law then Atkinson is right but it's a bit of a tricky one as just how much of a injury does it have to be to turn a yellow into a red card. Clearly this is the extreme end of the case but what about those that cause a bad but less serious injury. 

I said yesterday I think it's an orange card tackle and I think I'm leaning more to it being a red card because there was no intent to play the ball and to bring the man down and studs were showing. Spurs can appeal but I be shocked also if they overturn it. 

5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Real Madrid are preparing an offer of £70million plus Gareth Bale in exchange for Raheem Sterling

https://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Cant see that going anywhere   Bale is approaching 31   how much would he be worth?.  50 million tops   Cant see City selling for 120million   

Premier League managers to meet Mike Riley over VAR

Premier League managers will meet with referees' boss Mike Riley on Thursday to discuss the video assistant referee system.

Riley, general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the body responsible for the country's leading referees, will meet with the top-flight's northern-based managers after sharing views with southern bosses last week.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11854430/premier-league-managers-to-meet-mike-riley-over-var

Tottenham have appealed against Son Heung-min's red card at Everton on Sunday

The FA have confirmed he was given a straight red for "endangering the safety of a player"

2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Wow... Its gets more farcical by the day. So basically we got these lovely monitors which must of cost quite a bit to install which uses alot of electricity and then we find out the referees are not allowed to use them! Even though Mike Riley came out and said they can, perhaps reluctantly. No wonder the referees look confused at times! 

Not going to lie and pretend I was aware because I'm not but apparently the Bundesliga tried this approach that the PL is doing and they soon scrapped it and allows refs to look at the monitors because it just did not work. Surely Mike Riley and his team must of been aware of this as head of the PGMOL so for him to try it here makes it even more baffling. Then let's muddy the waters even more and add this clear and obvious and high bar nonsense then you end up with VAR looking a mess and people want it scrapped which is what Mike Riley probably really wants. 

Not saying referees looking at the monitors will solve everything because they might still make a call people don't agree with but the final say on more debatable decisions should go to him, not VAR. If something is stonewall and the on field ref does not give a pen or give a yellow instead of a red card then the VAR should overrule him and you don't need to use a monitor then. 

On 03/11/2019 at 10:35, D.V.R said:

Guardiola's starting to become obsessed with us.. accusing Mane of being a diver when he has a team that commit a lot of tactical fouls and full of divers, what a hypocrite 🙈

Mandiver City strikers eat grass more than any other team in the premiership.

3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Tottenham have appealed against Son Heung-min's red card at Everton on Sunday

The FA have confirmed he was given a straight red for "endangering the safety of a player"

I dont get  that.   If he didnt badly injury the other player  would he have  got a straight Red?.   I doubt it.    Everytime you go in for a tackle there is a danger of injuring/Safety of  a player    

Breaking: Son Heung-min has won his appeal against the red card in Sunday's match at Everton

So. VAR strikes again. 

The ref (rightly) issued a yellow VAR then took over and changed it to a red which then end's up getting overturned.

If VAR can't even make the right call for a red we might as well just scrap it and give it up as a bad job.

4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

So. VAR strikes again. 

The ref (rightly) issued a yellow VAR then took over and changed it to a red which then end's up getting overturned.

If VAR can't even make the right call for a red we might as well just scrap it and give it up as a bad job.

The ref never issued a yellow card to Son, he took the yellow out but he never showed it to him. The ref saw the injury to Gomes and at that point he put the yellow away and about 30 or so seconds later he produced a red card. No one knows just how much VAR played a role but there was no indication on TV, VAR was checking for a red card there so I'll guess Atkinson made the decision himself. 

I am shocked its been overturned. I think a bit of pressure has been placed because alot of people think its just a yellow but too me I think it's a reckless tackle which had no intention of taking the ball but to bring the man down. Its not even a tactical foul as there was players covering. It's a foul been made out of anger and frustration and a tackle from behind with no intention to get the ball should not get overturned as I don't think it's an error by the ref to send him off. 

Sons card rightly overturned   nothing in the challenge whatsoever     keep v a r   just gid rid of Atkinson  awful ref 

21 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Sons card rightly overturned   nothing in the challenge whatsoever     keep v a r   just gid rid of Atkinson  awful ref 

Nothing in the challenge? It was a deliberate attempt to bring the man down, definate yellow and some refs would give a red for that. Nothing tactical either as Gomes was in a non threatening area of the pitch and there was a defender(Auriour) covering. 

Atkinson rushed getting the yellow out without giving himself a bit of thinking time so when he saw the horrific injury, he changed it to a red so makes him look a bit stupid really. 

Edited by Geordiesnow

2 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Nothing in the challenge? It was a deliberate attempt to bring the man down, definate yellow and some refs would give a red for that. Nothing tactical either as Gomes was in a non threatening area of the pitch and there was a defender(Auriour) covering. 

Atkinson rushed getting the yellow out without giving himself a bit of thinking time so when he saw the horrific injury, he changed it to a red so makes him look a bit stupid really. 

Exactly  yellow card  there are loads of challenges like that every week   atkinson judged the tackle on the effects it had on the Everton player not the tackle itself      imo  rightfully overturned    

1 hour ago, weirpig said:

I agree.  Personally, I think it was a tactical foul that had unintentional consequences.  Tactical fouls where players don't play the ball but rather the man happen every week. 

It was a yellow card due to it being from behind but I don't think it was a red.  Forgetting the injury, if the actual foul of Son was a red, then there should be a lot more red cards given on a weekly basis which would ruin the game. 

Football is a contact sport remember.  A foul yes, yellow card yes, red, nah! 

3 hours ago, AWD said:

I agree.  Personally, I think it was a tactical foul that had unintentional consequences.  Tactical fouls where players don't play the ball but rather the man happen every week. 

It was a yellow card due to it being from behind but I don't think it was a red.  Forgetting the injury, if the actual foul of Son was a red, then there should be a lot more red cards given on a weekly basis which would ruin the game. 

Football is a contact sport remember.  A foul yes, yellow card yes, red, nah! 

How is it a tactical foul though when there is a defender covering and in a non threatening area of the pitch? It's just a poor tackle and calling it tactical is actually making it sound like the tackle was justified when it was not. Ignoring the injury that did happen but studs behind the achillies like that could of caused an injury so for me, I think it is a red. 

The arsenal player who made that (rugby) tackle on Zaha, now that was a tactical foul because Arsenal was exposed at the back and Zaha was away with his pace, he had to make that foul and he was perhaps lucky to stay on the pitch not for the foul itself but because he was almost last man and some refs may show red for that. 

I would love to know why the red was overturned because the ref did not make a clear error and surely only direct red cards which are definately not direct red cards should be overturned. He's a lucky man in that respect. 

Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has had surgery on the left elbow he dislocated at Brighton in October. Hugo is still scheduled to return to training in early 2020.

Manchester City have announced goalkeeper Ederson will miss Sunday’s match with Liverpool following the injury he sustained in the Champions League on Wednesday