Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Solstice

Posted
Here we are again, the Summer Solstice is almost upon us and the planet begins its tilt back to Winter. 

How do you mark the event? Due to the lack of virgins in Rugby, any kind of Stonehenge style cavorting is out of the question. So I personally tend to stay up and watch the sunset rather than the sunrise - with a large glass of something to see off the sun.

Fingers crossed for good weather and a fine view of the event.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I'll just continue as normal. If anything I'll celebrate the START of summer. I go by the astronomical seasons so winter is far far far away.

• Like 3

Posted

Here we are again, the Summer Solstice is almost upon us and the planet begins its tilt back to Winter. 

How do you mark the event? Due to the lack of virgins in Rugby, any kind of Stonehenge style cavorting is out of the question. So I personally tend to stay up and watch the sunset rather than the sunrise - with a large glass of something to see off the sun.

It is of course only the northern half!

Posted

A fine view of the event? There is nothing to see if truth be told. The solstices are actually just specific times in the orbit of the earth where the angle of the earth's axis is at its maximum away from the perpendicular to the earth-sun orbital plane.

It's like the phases of the moon, they actually occurs at specific times. We generalise them to specific dates when in fact they occur at specific times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It is a point in time (of year) and an important one too, how you see/view it is individual.  Like the cold is hardest at dawn the summer now comes into it's own, the summer dawn is quite nice.

Celebrated around the world by many as a tradition of marking a time and point in the year for life, so worth remembering that.

I shall honour that day out of spiritual respect but each to their own, I just like tradition and it's respect.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

They will be flocking in there hundreds round here to catch sunrise at Arber Low and 9 Ladies.

I always watch the sun set and rise on the 21st.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just happy to enjoy the long daylight, all to soon we are plunged into darkness (and nature seems to enjoy these long days of light also)

Posted

Just walking by the 9 Ladies Stone Circle at Stanton moor, Very relaxing up here.. Compared to what it will be like on the 21st.

post-12319-0-23931800-1434457446_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

We're at the time now where the mornings are as light as they can get. Next week the mornings will start to dawn later, soon followed by the evenings drawing in.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

On a Wicca bed waiting for starry nights. with crisp cool nights.

Posted

If the weather is poor - we'll just get up early and watch sunrise from the nearby park. If the forecast is good we head for somewhere pretty - usually a hill.

The weather isn't looking to inspiring at the moment for Sunday!

Posted

Invaded by Druids?

Just walking by the 9 Ladies Stone Circle at Stanton moor, Very relaxing up here.. Compared to what it will be like on the 21st.

Posted

Invaded by Druids?

Yes a few go up there, But the majority that go up are younguns with bags of Stella ( and probably bags of other stuff) Waving axes destroying the ancient woodland for fires and leaving crap everywhere! Shame really.

I may have a walk up to Arber Low which is just up the road from me, This more important stone circle usually attracts the more 'sophisticated' type... I may have a wonder up later with the mutt so will take some snaps.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

I might pay a visit to the Dove Holes Bullring, a similar size and shape to Arbor Low but it's been forgotten over the years in favor of the Nine Ladies & Arbor Low sites. It's somewhat less impressive in having only one upturned stone barely visible in the grass now, but at the time it was of similar importance to many of the other historical sites.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This evening at 17.39 thesun will be directly over the tropic of cancer. its all down hill to winter after that.

• Like 1

Posted

This evening at 17.39 thesun will be directly over the tropic of cancer. its all down hill to winter after that.

I beg to differ  :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

And now we enter the warmest half of the year. :D

Posted

A little spin around the garden last night sees the march to autumn in full flow:

Damsons (still green) fattening nicely

Green holly berries in abundance

Hazel nuts just about visible, not there last week, but now bursting out

Rowan flowers all disappeared and turned into berries.

Conker 'candles' all gone and prickly little husks everywhere

Bring it on...

• Like 2