Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 12th June 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Here in sunny and tiresomely hot Greece (Rhodes) the weather app and other forecasting outlets have been indicating thunderstorms for Friday here :D keeping my fingers crossed and I have my video camera with me! First few days I saw some mega Cbs in the distance over Turkey - didn't think I'd see anything remotely thundery. Here's hoping for some action :D

Posted

If this plume somehow manages to verify, then I will happily join you. I'm done with exams after Thursday, so really beyond this week I can go storm chasing in Europe.

is that physics or sociology at A level? If so, you're young for a forum

Host, how long you been around?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

that's a bit strong Gordon :0....

which one are you referring to and I will edit the post accordingly

Edit - Post Edited

Edited by Gordon Webb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Here in sunny and tiresomely hot Greece (Rhodes) the weather app and other forecasting outlets have been indicating thunderstorms for Friday here :D keeping my fingers crossed and I have my video camera with me! First few days I saw some mega Cbs in the distance over Turkey - didn't think I'd see anything remotely thundery. Here's hoping for some action :D

Remember seeing the same thing when I went to Rhodes this exact day 4 years ago.

Some of the clearest cut astonishing CB's I saw were over the Marmaris area as we touched down, then I remember seeing the news about the floods that they got from those storms!

Posted

the towers one !!!! :)..

Thought So

Post Now Edited

Edited by Gordon Webb
  • Like 1

Posted

Remember seeing the same thing when I went to Rhodes this exact day 4 years ago.

Some of the clearest cut astonishing CB's I saw were over the Marmaris area as we touched down, then I remember seeing the news about the floods that they got from those storms!

Absolutely, saw a line of stunning thunderheads from the plane and they grew larger and larger (I took a pic but others didn't come out so well). Saw them the following few days but the last few days have been crystal clear.

Getting quite excited at the possibility of some thundery action here Friday - hope it all holds together :D

post-3790-0-38193200-1434487423_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I hate to burst your bubble Harry, but Rhodes often forecasts for storms in the summer months but they rarely occur. Turkey tends to steal them. Always saw HUGE storms clouds over Turkey from Rhodes (see pictures I put up last year on here). When we were there last September we were forecast nighttime storms pretty much every night, but they never occurred, not even close. You could see them over in Turkey though at a distance. Same story for a lot of the islands near the mainland.

I do hope you get lucky and get a cracker though, if you do be sure to post pictures/videos!

Posted

I hate to burst your bubble Harry, but Rhodes often forecasts for storms in the summer months but they rarely occur. Turkey tends to steal them. Always saw HUGE storms clouds over Turkey from Rhodes (see pictures I put up last year on here). When we were there last September we were forecast nighttime storms pretty much every night, but they never occurred, not even close. You could see them over in Turkey though at a distance. Same story for a lot of the islands near the mainland.

I do hope you get lucky and get a cracker though, if you do be sure to post pictures/videos!

Oh well that's rubbish :cray:

My weather app has been saying thunder for about a 5-7 days now, Google weather, BBC and AccuWeather all saying it too.

Fingers crossed this occasion is an exception to the rule :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

See a day like today where it's hot and humid and has that 'feel' in the air seems like it would be a dead cert for storms, but nada.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I dunno mind I as in lindos Rhodes last week and it thundered 4 days out of the 7 albeit not directly overhead so you have some chance yet I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

On another note: the latest BBC forecast mentioned possible thundery downpours this evening!

Posted

On another note: the latest BBC forecast mentioned possible thundery downpours this evening!

well in that case you can kiss that goodybye  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Does actually look quite menacing to my north!

well there is a little rain up to your NW but doesn't look much , I have some to my W again doesn't look much at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Nice dark clouds and a spot of rain. Looks like autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

We got a light shower pass over, its left a nice dusk cloudscape in its wake. I love the feel of the air sitting by my open window, cool (not cold) but humid.

Edited by Greenday

Posted

I dunno mind I as in lindos Rhodes last week and it thundered 4 days out of the 7 albeit not directly overhead so you have some chance yet I think!

I'm in Lindos :D

Much of the Aegean under estofex lvl 1 today, though not Rhodes which is surprisingly under 15% lightning risk (today is wedding day so just as well really - not mine I hasten to add)

Posted

Not looking into too much detail until tomorrow but Saturday albeit brief again temps and dewpoints rise according to GFS and the potential has moved a bit more west and a slight upgrade from when I saw it. Will keep an eye on it and see if it holds on.

Posted

Having said that I think high pressure may keep things in check I just noticed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I'm in Lindos :D

Much of the Aegean under estofex lvl 1 today, though not Rhodes which is surprisingly under 15% lightning risk (today is wedding day so just as well really - not mine I hasten to add)

Honestly mate I loved the place first time me and my partner went and already booked for end of May next year. Aye it was strange you could have timed your watch each day even the locals where a tad confused that each day at the same time the thunder would roll in and then stop an hour later. To be fair was probably heat triggering the storms mid day but either was was some great cloud pics. I'll post some later hope you enjoy!