Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Viewing Vantage Points

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Seeing as though a mini discussion regarding best vantage points for storms has started in the main thread, here's a place dedicated for it. 

Share your favourite spots to get the best storm shots here, even better if you can provide a map or even some photos you've taken from there in the past.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Right folks, if anybody wants to post up their favoured vantage points for storm viewing please do so, but ideally with some online link rather than just a simple photograph. Even better would be a Google Maps link to each site in question for others to judge if the place is nearby to them and within easy reach by car/motorbike or whatever.

In the meanwhile, I will attempt to gather together the previous information from the Storm discussion thread

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

For our Wiltshire residents, Barbury Castle near Wroughton is one that comes highly recommended.

Tinyurl link to approximate position on Google Maps as shown below.

http://tinyurl.com/pn4b8pu

Posted

For those of us in West Berkshire, we have Combe Gibbet not far from Hungerford which is another which comes highly recommended.

Tinyurl link to approximate position of this site on Google Maps as shown below.

http://tinyurl.com/nan9heu

Posted

For those of you based near Surrey, we have the North Downs Way of Brockham near Tadworth, is another for the list.

Tinyurl link to approximate position of this site on Google Maps as shown below

http://tinyurl.com/p6ht3ew

Posted
Posted

For those storm-starved resident Londoners you could head for Blackheath Common, as suggested elsewhere on these forums.

Tinyurl link to approximate position to this site on Google Maps as shown below

http://http://tinyurl.com/nn492o9

Posted
Posted

For those of you based near East Sussex, Hastings Country Park comes highly recommended. Nearest town unsurprisingly being Hastings.

http://tinyurl.com/nzkc9pj

Posted

For those of you based near Bristol, there is Almondsbury. 

http://tinyurl.com/nwx5lwd

Posted

Another one worthy of mention from the London area is seemingly Old Redding near Harrow.

Once again the tinyurl link to the approximate Google Maps site is below.

http://tinyurl.com/ps72f2f

Posted

An excellent choice by Andy there, and I'd just like to mention that Redhorn Hill is on the Wessex Ridgeway, which is a byway open to all traffic around the northern edge of Salisbury Plain. The road is maintained and can be driven all the way from the Lavingtons to Upavon if you get bored with staying in one place. Also at Redhorn, if you have a vehicle with ground clearance, is a premissive byway into the Plain which - if the red flags aren't flying - takes you through wide open heathland and down to the southern edge of the Plain.

Edited by Steve_De4
  • Like 1

Posted

Another one for Gloucestershire folks, Haresfield Beacon on the Cotswold Way near Stonehouse.

Again, the tinyurl link to the approximate Google Maps site is below.

http://tinyurl.com/oabb93q

Posted

Another one for our Hampshire residents, Portsdown Hill near Portsmouth is often deemed a popular choice.

Again, the tinyurl link to the approximate Google Maps site is below.

http://tinyurl.com/o3hedsr

*Worth remembering as this topic builds you will be able to search for locations within a reachable distance of your own City/Town or Village by searching for a specific County.

Posted

Anothe great place which has a good view south in East Sussex is this car park on the Ashdown forest. Dropped pin
near Woodland Enterprise Centre, High Weald AONB, Hastings Road, Flimwell, East Sussex TN5 7PR
http://goo.gl/maps/9BVfL

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Mid-Norfolk (even though the county is flat with big skies anyway)  Crownthorpe Road (B1135 just outside Wymondham), entrance to Whitehall Farm at the top of the hill. Good hard standing and plenty of room with 360 degree views, especially to the SW. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Has this been covered before?

I decided in the downtime between storm episodes I would research great locations around my area to see storms roll in.

Obviously the criteria for a good storm vista is a clear view of the horizon in as many directions as possible. It should be free from trees and foliage (as much as possible) be accessible by car and ideally not be far from a major arterial route (for moving on quickly). Ideally too, it needs to be away from large metal structures which attract lightning!

I just discovered Warbury Hill in Berks which is being added to my list for the Central south of the UK - other good spots for me being Butser Hill in Hants and The Mount in Surrey (because it's close to where I live!).

To make things more interesting I also found a place near Alton the other night which gives a great view of the sky to the West (albeit with trees impeding the view in other directions) but spots like these are also worth noting for their potential viability for when a storm approaching from the right direction.

So there's my preamble - can others share their knowledge? It would be great as reference for the next event to avoid wasted chase time and missed opporunities!

Richie FBFBE

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This has been one of my favourites, ever since i was little. It's good for wind storms as well as thunderstorms.

So, if by some piece of luck, Dorset is in the hotspot zone for a thunderstorm (this place would have been ideal during Thursday nights storm) then you would come here. It is Creech/Grange road carpark on top of the Purbeck hills, just a 3 mile bike ride from here, preferably i'd go by car, because if you're not Chris Hoy, you'll struggle up the incline.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.635152,-2.136934,3a,75y,108.83h,98.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqvpdyhXXjfRU8FYrjq19AQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You overlook all of the towns just North of it, and 1 mile south, is the English channel (direction the cars are facing) - one of the best vantage points around in my opinion, not just for thunderstorms either. 

Do save it in your bookmarks if you're heading this way for a chase.. in 2045. :laugh:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

W

This has been one of my favourites, ever since i was little. It's good for wind storms as well as thunderstorms.

So, if by some piece of luck, Dorset is in the hotspot zone for a thunderstorm (this place would have been ideal during Thursday nights storm) then you would come here. It is Creech/Grange road carpark on top of the Purbeck hills, just a 3 mile bike ride from here, preferably i'd go by car, because if you're not Chris Hoy, you'll struggle up the incline.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.635152,-2.136934,3a,75y,108.83h,98.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqvpdyhXXjfRU8FYrjq19AQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You overlook all of the towns just North of it, and 1 mile south, is the English channel (direction the cars are facing) - one of the best vantage points around in my opinion, not just for thunderstorms either. 

Do save it in your bookmarks if you're heading this way for a chase.. in 2045. :laugh:

Wow! Stunning place... In 2045 I'll have my new Nikon A1000000000 ultra high res slow motion 3d 4d 5d stereoscopic zoom camera too, so i might get a blurry sheet lightning shot with any luck!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

My favourite spot in England is on the high vantage spot of Cissbury Ring above Worthing Sea Front on the South Downs. Half way between Cherbourg and Calais a good viewing spot for thunderstorms moving up from France. In the late evening time, lightning shows from Medium level clouds instability can be amazing seen over Normandy.

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

My favourite spot in England is on the high vantage spot of Cissbury Ring above Worthing Sea Front on the South Downs. Half way between Cherbourg and Calais a good viewing spot for thunderstorms moving up from France. In the late evening time, lightning shows from Medium level clouds instability can be amazing seen over Normandy.

C

Following on from the above post, I have seen some amazing storms in the mountains in Austria. The best scenario is after a hot day under a blazing sun with no wind. The evenings are calm and muggy, sitting outside with a beer waiting for the fireworks to breakout and they often happen around here. Flashes of distant lighning suddenly appear out of nowhere, usually under a cloudless sky. The storm here usually develop to the south over the Sud Tirol and move into the Gloss Glockner region. Late evening the lightning display light up the glaciers and glow pink. Often we see lightning with no rain or thunder but just blows me away !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Local for east kent capel la ferne has a good view for sea storms and also storms to the north of it.

Finding viewing points in a city is not easy

In Manchester try Heaton Park Folly/Temple. You get about 240 degree view of surroundings and a good enough elevation to see what the weather is doing quite some miles away.