Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighPressure

Which way would you vote in the EU referendum?

The EU how will you be voting?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question: If the EU IN/OUT were tomorrow which way would vote?

• IN - vote to stay in the EU
    • OUT - vote to leave the EU

We have not had a poll on this one, it would be interesting to see how this forum is split.

Bit early considering it's up to 2 years away don't you think?

Bit early considering it's up to 2 years away don't you think?

Not really considering he is asking how you would vote if the ref was tomorrow and not in 2 years time. :wallbash:

Obviously not that simple a question!!!

50 / 50 split so far which seems to match current polls...

I voted "In", as I would in the real thing if it was tomorrow. However, I'm undecided so come crunch time I may be an "out" voter.

Tbh, I can't imagine anything anyone'll say anything that'll make me vote to come out. As yet, I've heard nothing that's in any way convincing.

Not really considering he is asking how you would vote if the ref was tomorrow and not in 2 years time. :wallbash:

Obviously not that simple a question!!!

Alright calm down.

Undecided so far. 

I started this poll to get peoples view if the vote was tomorrow and you had to make a decision either way. We are 2 yrs away from the actual referendum, but I thought if would be a good exercise to monitor peoples feelings over that time and see which way the motion is going. We can have several of these polls in the run up to the vote so you will be able to vote again.  

I have no choice but to vote yes - the contrary would bring an unimaginable set of consequences.

I have no choice but to vote yes - the contrary would bring an unimaginable set of consequences.

I agree wholeheartedly - I just wonder how many of the fervent antis have experience of living in a different area of Europe where they are dealing with the locals on a daily basis - with this I do not mean package holidays which is an artificial environment anyway.

I agree ,what's going to happen if we go , is Europe not going to trade with our a 3 trillion dollar economy ???.

I agree wholeheartedly - I just wonder how many of the fervent antis have experience of living in a different area of Europe where they are dealing with the locals on a daily basis - with this I do not mean package holidays which is an artificial environment anyway.

Exactly - I'll send you something really interesting on this if you wait....there are many types of  travellers. I need to to be able to work without borders, for example. I travel, therefore I live!

Do you actually believe that, or is it just more of the rubbish spouted by the EU YES Stormtoopers camp.

I am anti EU, not anti European. I have travelled around the continent and met some great people. I have even managed to get invited to a French couples wedding having met them only 3 days before the event. We have very good Polish friends and I have not had any bother when on the continent for being British. I do find it embarrassing that I struggle to pick up a second language but please don't confuse not wanted to be part of a USE with being some sort of anti foreigner.

Latest full Scotland EUref poll (TNS-BMRB):

72% In

28% Out

Excluding DK.

Do you actually believe that, or is it just more of the rubbish spouted by the EU YES Stormtoopers camp.

I am anti EU, not anti European. I have travelled around the continent and met some great people. I have even managed to get invited to a French couples wedding having met them only 3 days before the event. We have very good Polish friends and I have not had any bother when on the continent for being British. I do find it embarrassing that I struggle to pick up a second language but please don't confuse not wanted to be part of a USE with being some sort of anti foreigner.

I find it incredible AER that you should use this term especially when it is Nigel Farage who uses the term 'People's Army'!

And yes I do believe it and to enlighten us all could you please explain your reasons for calling it 'rubbish'.

50 / 50 split so far which seems to match current polls...

Fortunately even on this forum the tides seemed to have turned. 

Fortunately even on this forum the tides seemed to have turned. 

Has the 'Peoples' Army' failed? Oh dear! :yahoo:

Has the 'Peoples' Army' failed? Oh dear! :yahoo:

I definitely think leading up to the referendum a 'wait, what's this huge problem the EU has again?' sentiment will develop if it hasn't already started.

Out.

I believe we should be governed by people we elect, and have control of our own borders etc.

I find it laughable that big companies wont come here to one of the worlds top economies, just because we are not part of some un democratic, expansionist, political circus.

But unfortunately I think the Yes lot will win as every political party apart from UKIP are EU sellouts, thus the media will be on their side. 

Out.

I believe we should be governed by people we elect, and have control of our own borders etc.

I find it laughable that big companies wont come here to one of the worlds top economies, just because we are not part of some un democratic, expansionist, political circus.

But unfortunately I think the Yes lot will win as every political party apart from UKIP are EU sellouts, thus the media will be on their side. 

Just because somebody says we will have control of our borders doesn't mean it is going to happen - with a long coastline like ours with loads of small ports, beaches and coves etc it would be virtually impossible to prevent some of the desperate and determined from getting in - the numbers could even increase without the assistance of our continental partners.

Then after the fiascos of recent years, the second Iraq war, the sleaze allegations and the inept chancellorship of Gordon Brown I have little faith in our government at Westminster, especially when their most overriding concern appear at times to be more about winning the next election rather than what is best for the country.

Out.

Totally agree. And ha, think you quoted me earlier back on the storm & convection discussion!

Well said, and to anyone who seriously thinks we need to be a part of the European Union or we will somehow suddenly become far worse off, come off it. 

Pro-EU arguments are usually flawed and I've yet to see anyone take on Nigel Farage in debate and have him lost for words. Clegg tried, and got beaten, twice in a row last year. It just makes me laugh how Europhiles don't have the faith in this country, the country, that once ruled over 1/4 of the world. Now, all of a sudden, with 63 + million people, we're incapable of governing ourselves. This is genuinely what some Europhiles think, it's hilarious. The EU needs us far more than we need them, considering we import more from the richest EU members than they do from us. 

Just look at Iceland - tiny country, not in the EU - negotiated it's own trade deal with China, oh I suppose the UK is incapable of doing this outside of the EU?! Laughable. Norway and Switzerland are prosperous, advanced countries with very high quality of life indexes. Both outside the EU. 

The arguments in favour of leaving far outweigh any argument in favour of staying in this corporatist, bureaucratic, anti-democratic club. People voted in 1975 for a common market, not political union, yet we've all been lied to, that should be enough to make those of you which are pro-EU, suspicious. 

Take a read of this, by Danniel Hannan MEP, he argues the case for leaving extremely well: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11644904/A-vision-of-Britain-outside-the-EU-confident-successful-and-free.html 

Its nothing to do with Europhiles not having faith in the UK governing itself. As for Norway and Switzerland the former has to comply with EU regulations including freedom of movement, Switzerland has to comply with many regulations to access the EU markets.

You can't just leave and expect the EU to cave in to what the UK wants, until new trade deals are arranged the UK will operate under WTO regulations which means tariffs. No business will invest in the UK until it knows exactly what trading conditions will be as its profit margins are reliant on that.

The issue re trade deals isn't that the UK won't manage to do those but what the terms will be. Theres absolutely no economic argument that stands up to leaving the EU. UK businesses will incur huge costs in having to comply with a whole new set of rules, uncertainty will lead to a big drop in investment, inward investment into the UK from the EU is crucial to the UK economy, inward investment from non EU countries especially the USA is centred around the UK's access to the EU.

There are issues for workers in the UK as to how much protections they will be afforded without the EU umbrella, on a whole list of issues the EU protects UK workers.

Employees will then be reliant on a Conservative government replacing current EU regulations. Other issues could cause big headaches and a degree of chaos, all UK EU passports will have to be replaced, driving licences aswell. New agreements would need to be reached in terms of travel.

If UK citizens currently living in the EU who are over 65 lose their healthcare then theres likely to be an influx back into the UK causing problems for the NHS.

By any measure an EU exit will likely lead to a period of uncertainty and drop in GDP, eventually after several years things might settle down.

That's just on the economic front, what relevance will the UK have in the rest of the world, will it just go back to being a lapdog of the USA.

Scotland will most definitely leave and become independent so the EU referendum is also a referendum on the UK.

For us Europhiles we can take solace that rampant capitalism now so pervasive in the UK and driven on by the Tories will mean that people will think with their pockets and not some idealistic vision of the past, fear of change and a possible negative impact on the economy and jobs will likely see a Yes vote.

Cameron will likely get some reforms , not ones that will appease his Eurosceptics who can't stomach anything with Europe in the title but enough to sell to the British public.