Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Charles Kennedy RIP

Former Liberal leader dies aged 55.

Oh, how sad is this. :(  It is depressing to hear news of people dying prematurely by addiction or depression. If it was that.

I remember his impressive performances during the Iraq invasion over a decade ago when I lived over there. It's not easy rallying against the politcal establishment like that but he did it with fire and intelligence.That motivated me to join the Lib Dems, eventhough I didn't end up doing much with that membership. 

Yes I don't like his politics but have got these sort of problems myself, its the people they leave behind I worry about, so many people have been supportive of me and I feel ive thrown it back in their faces, I don't mean to do it but I have.

RIP Charles Kennedy

It's worth reflecting that, as well as opposing the Iraq War, he was also the sole opponent to the Lib Dem's coalition with the Tories in 2010, something which triggered a series of political shifts which have utterly altered the political landscape of the United Kingdom.

A thoroughly decent and likable man, and a genuinely tragic loss.

Bish

Very sad news, even for a non Lib Dem supporter such as myself.

Obviously too soon to know if his alcohol problem had any link to his death but it was tragic to see a man with so many talents, in terms of character and an ability to connect with voters, have his political career shortened by this illness.

Normally I dislike the often hypocritical outpourings of affection and grief from all and sundry when someone 'famous' dies. In Charles' case though he's one of the few politicians I had some respect for, despite his personal demons (or maybe because of them), and I'm genuinely saddened to hear that he has died.

Far, far too young as well!

Largely agree. Was one of the nicer lefties and fairly successful at the ballot box.

Thoughts with family and friends, but a huge loss on so many levels. Charles Kennedy was the first person I voted for in a parliamentary election.

Shocked and saddened at this news. RIP.

Largely agree. Was one of the nicer lefties and fairly successful at the ballot box.

Yes he did the opposite of Nick Clegg, ie - turned millions of Labour / Tory voters into Lib Dem voters, I wasn't one of them though, always voted either Tory or Labour myself but a very good effort by him.

I just glanced at it occasionally but he was a regular on the BBC1 Program This week. He seemed a really lovely guy.

Thoughts with family and friends, but a huge loss on so many levels. Charles Kennedy was the first person I voted for in a parliamentary election.

It's a real pity - only 55 too. I had hoped we might yet see him in Holyrood where he'd have been a welcome addition to the chamber. 

A lovely guy, taken to soon. Like SS, i had expected him to get more involved in Scottish politics. Who knows how far he could have flown if it wasn't for the demon drink. There certainly would not have been a ConDem coalition, he was the only LIb Dem MP to vote against it.

Unfortunately, numerous twitter trolls blaming his death on the SNP.

One of the nice people in politics, RIP.

Was genuinely shocked when I heard the news this morning. One of the few decent people at the top of politics.

A lovely guy, taken to soon. Like SS, i had expected him to get more involved in Scottish politics. Who knows how far he could have flown if it wasn't for the demon drink. There certainly would not have been a ConDem coalition, he was the only LIb Dem MP to vote against it.

Unfortunately, numerous twitter trolls blaming his death on the SNP.

Few leaders stay over a decade so he'd have probably stepped down at some point anyway.

Also he abstained rather than voted against (although it's obvious he did not support it).

Very saddened. He was something of a political hero of mine & has been said, politics may look quite different today had he not been forced to step down. A little silly to blame the SNP, with the exception of the indy issue, the Social Democratic wing of the LibDems & SNP would be indistinguishable politically. Politics is an unforgiving business & the good 'uns get swept away with the bad 'uns at times of upheaval.

Condolences to his friends & family, we've lost a thoroughly decent man.

Was very sad when I woke to the news this morning. :(

Although he was pretty much a career politician, he seemed very down to earth, which is a rare commodity, IMHO, for political leaders.

A serious pity about his drinking issue, as very heavy and long lasting alcohol consumption will stunt a person's potential. But I'm not blaming him for this. This can creep up on and catch people unawares, whether or not they have personal demons. :( I think a lot of us will have seen personal examples in our lives.

He lost his seat and his Dad before elections.. take care Charlie you was a good mp one of the best before the iraq war. we disagree on the EU but at least you stuck to your principles,  Salmonds comments r sickening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11645853/Anger-at-Alex-Salmonds-shameful-Charles-Kennedy-comments-hours-after-his-death.html

i can't say I agreed with all his views but its a sad loss of someone so young in todays terms. unlike Mr Salmond I respect the views of those I may not agree with. My thoughts are with his family the ones that will truely miss him. RIP

RIP

A real gent and sincere unlike the wider political family - never afraid to stick his head out and for that I admire him. Passed on aged 55 too young to think the average age in Japan is 65. For reasons clearly unknown at this stage I think it is inconsiderate for us to dawdle on this.

He was my MP, for many years. A great man who was always at the meetings where we got a new school in Glenurquhart! He'll be sadly missed, here! :(  :sorry:  :cray:  :cray:

Well it's a small comfort for his family that at least it wasn't suicide.

'Those whom the gods love die young' is perhaps the best tribute I can give - often it is not the length of a life which is so important but what people do with them and no doubt he will be remembered fondly for many generations to come.