Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

NAVGEM 06z showing 2m temps at 38 on July 1st

navgemfr-8-132.png?26-12

Though I cannae see anything like those temps materializing, I don't one single below-average day in the GFS 06Z. I don't think I've ever seen that before. January not included! :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

NAVGEM 06z showing 2m temps at 38 on July 1st

navgemfr-8-132.png?26-12

I'm going to say, although great charts and possibly not the most reliable source, I really hope that does not happen. Sleeping could be somewhat difficult.  :help:

at 2am .....

navgemfr-8-138.png?26-12

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

My first chance to comment for a number of days - the NAO has gone negative and is forecast to stay negative:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

That would suggest lower heights to the south-west and higher heights to the north and north-east so the draw of winds (as suggested by the 6Z) may be more SE'ly than S'ly which would have some effect on the synoptics and the weather. However, there's plenty of scatter beyond next weekend so none of this is a done deal yet.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015062606/gfs-0-132.png?6

This is a seriously interesting chart for storm fans and there's plenty of heat about to make things happen.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015062600/ECM1-144.GIF?26-12

But this is subtly different. Events out to the east make a difference as the Scandinavian HP is further west so everything else is further west.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2015062600/gem-0-144.png?00

GEM very close to GFS in the same timeframe - possibly less of a heat fest (though marginal) and more of a storm fest.

Plenty of time though for things to chop and change but I do think the last 24 hours has seen a move away from a direct S'ly feed from France and Iberia to a more SE'ly feed from Europe - still hot but the potential for more disturbed weather has risen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

NAVGEM is a cannon fodder model for a reason. Fun to look at though.

Posted

What record HC?

plumes > 20c are very rare in the UK. it is obviously not sustainable for several days so we look to those runs which shorten the plume to 24/36 hours max as being more likely to be showing a verifiable solution.

ECM fi looks progressive though the sinking of the scuero high anomoly south west to become a euro high anomoly is the favoured extended ens option so a more standard zonal flow north of the UK should be the eventual outcome.

What record do ya think..

The maximum temperature record for July somewhere in the north of england. Based soley on that output though, so yes only retrospective at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

NAVGEM is a cannon fodder model for a reason. Fun to look at though.

I must admit it has to top the most stupid charts.

Surely at times like this is needs to be remodeled.

I will of course eat my words if Norwich does reach 42c.......and not in someones greenhouse...

• Like 3

Posted

What record do ya think..

The maximum temperature record for July somewhere in the north of england. Based soley on that output though, so yes only retrospective at this stage.

Clearly single date temp records for specified places could fall but the July temp record for England? Nope - not with the predicted set up this time.

• Like 1

Posted

Of course we had a significant July heatwave as long ago as 2013 for those who'd forgotten:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfs-2013072000-1-66.png?0

On 22nd July 2013 a temperature of 33.5c was recorded at Heathrow Airport and not far away at Northolt.

GFS forecast temperature for Wednesday next week:

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015062606/132-582UK.GIF?26-6

One of the things we will need to see is the heat being embedded - this is the first significant plume or plume-like event of the year and we've had mostly cooler air over us for some time so the immediate arrival of heat won't have the impact it would have were the heat to be already in situ.

This is why the hottest temperatures come not in the inital heat outbreak but in the second or third wave - a hot June peaks in early July and as we saw in 2003, a hot July peaks in early August.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/archives/gfs-2013072900-1-90.png?0

This gave us 34.1c in London. 850HPAs are or can be misleading - what fans of heat will want to see is the heat become established and wait for second or third waves from the south. It's actually the same process as works with the cold in winter if you think about it.

• Like 1

Posted

Clearly single date temp records for specified places could fall but the July temp record for England? Nope - not with the predicted set up this time.

You cannot possibly be that confident! Its still not out of the question that we'll end up with 3 days under the 20C 850 line, and sunshine amounts / exact direction of flow cannot be predicted yet! 33-35C is the likely benchmark, but 36C is absolutely not out of the question. Yet!

• Like 6

Posted

Lol where did I say the maximum temperature record for england would be broken, obviously that is most unlikely  :doh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Models seem to be in agreement but have actually made the warmth last a bit longer. Wednesday-Saturday could see 30C breached however Friday see's a thundery front move through the UK before a second (likely more normal) front moves through by day 9. 

Rtavn2164.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean is looking fantastic next week..and beyond, becoming very warm across all parts of the UK and hot across the south and east as a spanish plume extends northwards into the uk. There is talk of very hot conditions developing in the south / southeast with low to mid 30's celsius. With all the strong sunshine, heat and humidity, there will be an increasing chance of thundery showers.

We have waited patiently for this, we have had to endure a lot of cool unsettled atlantic dross in the last few months but the wait is almost over. :)

post-4783-0-10492100-1435332771_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-52598100-1435332779_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01288700-1435332788_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41894200-1435332797_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-60986400-1435332865_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-11132200-1435332879_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24420600-1435332888_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You cannot possibly be that confident! Its still not out of the question that we'll end up with 3 days under the 20C 850 line, and sunshine amounts / exact direction of flow cannot be predicted yet! 33-35C is the likely benchmark, but 36C is absolutely not out of the question. Yet!

Especially if next week's temps are being undercooked, like today's clearly have been...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

In these situations, the 850's can become detached from what happens at the surface, it's also possible that the temperatures are being overcooked, even with those sorts of uppers being projected.

• Like 1

Posted

You cannot possibly be that confident!

I can and I am

Lol where did I say the maximum temperature record for england would be broken, obviously that is most unlikely  :doh:

You didn't HC. Someone else did and I dealt with both posts together - I could have been clearer though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Well GFS 12z brings back the possibility of that happening, more inline with the 0z so far 

gfs-1-144.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS keeps showing some very hot conditions widely on Thursday

ukmaxtemp.png

If you want to escape the heat go to either Cornwall, Isle of Man, Abderdeenshire or the western Isles

Before that its Monday when the heat starts in the south and it keeps on rising

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still very warm/hot on Saturday on the GFS 12z. So potentially 4 straight days of 30C+ on this run.

h850t850eu.png

The Atlantic making no inroads to break it down at all. It's scenarios like this that could see records broken with a more sustained period of heat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

gfs-0-144.png?12

Hot with temperatures into the low thirties widely (Including as far north as Glasgow), a heatwave begins in earnest with the low thirties forecast on Friday and Saturday too under a hot south easterly wind.

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?26-18

Very similar to the GFS, perhaps showing the potential for some thunderstorms to push up from France, that said I suspect hot and sunny weather would return beyond this point as the ridge tightens its grip as the Atlantic runs out of steam.

Of course this will change time and time again, I suspect we won't break the July record yet, but the highest temperature this decade is up for grabs I feel.

• Like 6

Posted

Unbelievabley hot gfs and ukmo this afternoon!!this could seriously be newsworthy heat next week!!the agreement between gfs and ukmo aswell is astonishing!!!

• Like 7