Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Bar the risk of some rain in the far north and west mid week the ECM ens has a lot of dry weather on offer from Monday till the end of its run

Reem481.gifReem961.gifReem1441.gifReem1921.gifReem2401.gif

• Like 2

Posted

The extended ens means and anomolys are certainly moving in the right direction as ECM tries to edge the anomoly just east of the UK. Naefs shows a high anomoly into the distance but it isn't as marked as ECM.

as summer progresses, the mean dam/slp combo slowly edges further North

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Anything past 150 hours should be taken not too seriously. Pretty sure what we witnessed yesterday was not picked up on barely any of the models until around 140 hours. Still then, they had the plume going much more northerly.

Devil is in much finer detail. One movement of a system in the short term can alter the situations massively.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

High Pressure again showing to push up into Greenland for around the 21st, As shown on the 18z blocking the Atlantic at least.

hgt300.pngnpsh500.pngh850t850eu.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Just look how extensive the blocking is shown to push North over Greenland, Some exceptionally warm Temperatures over the Arctic showing towards the end of the 6z. Leaving the UK under a rather long drawn out cool Northerly flow, With Low Pressure sat just to the N/E of the UK. All subject to change as usual..

h850t850eu.pngnpsh500.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Really can't see that northern blocking happening. Doesn't make sense how all of a sudden those heights can just be scooped up like that!!

Expect greens and blues over Greenland on the 12z!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

thankfully, theres no anomaly support for the 06z's greenland high, so we must hope its an outlier of a run.  if a greenland high establishes itself now, well, it doesnt look good for anything hot/settled this summer.

hold on, im not sure thats true what i said about the anomaly support.

post-2797-0-76666900-1434196042_thumb.gi

there IS an upward kink over greenland, and a trough to our east , if im reading this right that could suggest the high just off ireland does connect to a greenland ridge?...

hmmm.... not good.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 1

Posted

thankfully, theres no anomaly support for the 06z's greenland high, so we must hope its an outlier of a run.  if a greenland high establishes itself now, well, it doesnt look good for anything hot/settled this summer.

A Greenland high is unlikely IF the anomaly charts are correct, with +e heights showing west of Alaska this makes it highly unlikely anything but a trough can develop (in the upper air pattern) in the Greenland longitude.

IF the NOAA version starts to tend towards the GFS anomaly idea then it will be time to watch this area but until it does then to me this scenario seems unlikely in the 6-15 day time period.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

3 GFS runs and last nights GEM for some kind of northerly around day 9 (2 GFS runs making it a more substantial breakdown).. 

Rtavn2163.gif

• Like 1

Posted

A Greenland high is unlikely IF the anomaly charts are correct, with +e heights showing west of Alaska this makes it highly unlikely anything but a trough can develop (in the upper air pattern) in the Greenland longitude.

IF the NOAA version starts to tend towards the GFS anomaly idea then it will be time to watch this area but until it does then to me this scenario seems unlikely in the 6-15 day time period.

ive edited my post john, thanks for replying, its an unsettling theme beginning to emerge from the gfs though. and im no expert at understanding the anomaly charts... im just trying!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

(Edit: already been beaten to it by others who have covered the anomaly charts well).

I suppose the GFS 06Z shouldn't be totally ignored, as there's always a small chance it could be picking up a new trend. But just like in Winter, strong heights modelled over Greenland can quite often get watered down or taken away closer to the time of verification.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

ive edited my post john, thanks for replying, its an unsettling theme beginning to emerge from the gfs though. and im no expert at understanding the anomaly charts... im just trying!

I don't think I'm all that expert either mushy although having used them for the past 4 or 5 years I do fel quite confident with them, given my usual cations about them. If we look at how consistent or not GFS has been in the 168h+ period then it is not consistent. If we look at the NOAA anomaly charts at both 6-10 and 8-14 then they are consistent. The ECMWF-GFS version is less so, more especially the GFS one, which probably explains the variability with the synoptic output as well.

I would be surprised to see heights rising to any extent in the 6-12 day time scale, probably even out to 14 -16 days. Could be wrong of course which would not be the first time!

One thing to remember is the anomaly charts are 'averages' and day to day variations can and will occur. However this would tend to rule out marked changes in trough-ridge patterns in the upper air over the period I am discussing, at least in my view.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

Does anybody have the full NOAA discussion. They usually give a confidence interval and explain why they back a solution.

Posted

Good to debate but far too much attention wasted on the outer reaches of a gfs op IMO.

Rob, there is a weak upper greeny ridge on the CPC but I would be more interested in the upper ridge shown over nw Europe together with the high anomoly. Rarely do you see that combo fail to verify.

that should mean the incursions from the depressions running nw to se are shunted further to our East and we should begin to draw ever warmer temps into the block.

• Like 6

Posted

I agree with ba that far too much attention is being paid to the GFS ops and the Greenland HP. The ops has it entering the fray around T216 but the ens mean mslp anomaly doesn't agree and more to the point nor does the 500mb anomaly.

Charts courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-64391900-1434201609_thumb.p

post-12275-0-71427000-1434201616_thumb.p

post-12275-0-35929500-1434201626_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

I don't think I'm all that expert either mushy although having used them for the past 4 or 5 years I do fel quite confident with them, given my usual cations about them. If we look at how consistent or not GFS has been in the 168h+ period then it is not consistent. If we look at the NOAA anomaly charts at both 6-10 and 8-14 then they are consistent. The ECMWF-GFS version is less so, more especially the GFS one, which probably explains the variability with the synoptic output as well.

I would be surprised to see heights rising to any extent in the 6-12 day time scale, probably even out to 14 -16 days. Could be wrong of course which would not be the first time!

One thing to remember is the anomaly charts are 'averages' and day to day variations can and will occur. However this would tend to rule out marked changes in trough-ridge patterns in the upper air over the period I am discussing, at least in my view.

Good to debate but far too much attention wasted on the outer reaches of a gfs op IMO.

Rob, there is a weak upper greeny ridge on the CPC but I would be more interested in the upper ridge shown over nw Europe together with the high anomoly. Rarely do you see that combo fail to verify.

that should mean the incursions from the depressions running nw to se are shunted further to our East and we should begin to draw ever warmer temps into the block.

cheers for the comments jh/ba oh and knocker! i guess im panicing abit, looking too hard at a possible spoiler as to what i think could be a great summer. sometimes of course the gfs in fi does pick up on a new trend, but im happy with the points made and until/unless the anomaly charts change, or are wrong, ill try not to get too flustered! lol

• Like 1

Posted

Subtle signs of Greenland blocking which if verifying could scupper late June early July warmth and can be very persistent once In place.....a reversed slug in Summer.

To the here an now an temps of 17 today in London....NE winds drizzle cloud and suppressed temps aren't doing my garden any good...Liven up flaming June

There are barely any signs of it though...only the odd GFS run is showing it in FI. This happens every year in this thread- people see the slightest hint of a Greenland high in FI and there are fears of a 2007 repeat. Northern blocking just hasn't happened for any length of time for several summers now.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

There are barely any signs of it though...only the odd GFS run is showing it in FI. This happens every year in this thread- people see the slightest hint of a Greenland high in FI and there are fears of a 2007 repeat. Northern blocking just hasn't happened for any length of time for several summer nows.

I may be wrong, but isn't the NAO going negative a sign that northern blocking could occur?

nao.fcst.gif

No sign of it going negative currently

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

There are barely any signs of it though...only the odd GFS run is showing it in FI. This happens every year in this thread- people see the slightest hint of a Greenland high in FI and there are fears of a 2007 repeat. Northern blocking just hasn't happened for any length of time for several summer nows.

Indeed Scorcher...FI is FI ...and that doesn't matter which side of the debate we come from...or what season we are talking about.

Of course,just because it hasn't happened for several summers , it doesn't mean it won't happen this Summer

• Like 5

Posted

Does anybody have the full NOAA discussion. They usually give a confidence interval and explain why they back a solution.

not today or tomorrow as its a weekend but this link usually has their thoughts on it

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/fxus06.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I may be wrong, but isn't the NAO going negative a sign that northern blocking could occur?

nao.fcst.gif

No sign of it going negative currently

Isn't it -ve already?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its going to be a very nice week with warm westerlies for much of it bringing bright or sunny spells and quite decent temperatures. But the way the models are looking next weekend is a bit concerning. High pressure looks like its stuck over Russia, and not going anywhere in a hurry so its acting as a block forcing low pressure south into Europe, meaning more northwesterlies for the UK.

If the blocking high could shift westwards more over Scandinavia then the next time we get an Azores ridge we would be in a much better situation to transfer high pressure to the east of the UK. And right on cue the GFS 12z in FI is showing what i mean.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

A subdued NAO if we get a negative NAO summer is in trouble

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. A UK high could well force the NAO to negative. How many more times do members have to say? The NAO is literally the difference in pressure in the North Atlantic between Iceland and the Azores. Yes of course a negative NAO may indicate troughing in the wrong area for us but it may also indicate favourable blocking too.

• Like 6