Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GEM and GFS more or less have a northerly by day 9, Euro is on its own..

Rgem2161.gif

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the slack Northerly is shown again by the GFS this morning for around the 12/13th. ECMWF only has it as a weak affair touching Scotland..  Cornish Pasty ?

ecmt850.144.pngh850t850eu.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

GEM and GFS more or less have a northerly by day 9, Euro is on its own..

Rgem2161.gif

Let's not forget that northerly flows that end up futher East into Scandinavia are very common indeed.

And that the likelihood of a none northerly runner could well be a realistic outcome.

Even so if the northerly happens blink and it's gone only to be replaced but a renewal of high pressure.

As was the situation yesterday with heat and humidity.

Might be worth checking back the previous weeks charts as I can see it the heat and humidity at one stage looked more prolonged and robust but in reality it was a blink and over moment.

I'm still confident that June is starting to filter out the little blips of polar air source soon to be replaced but a more average but settled high pressure as this coming week progress.

Eventually leading to more sustained and favourable height position to draw in some heat.

Or maybe some homegrown heat.

certainly not a wash out by far and always found that el nino,

although not over all driver does deliver a nice summer.

Posted

Looking at this morning's anomalies, although not total agreement vis the trough, there would appear to be movement to a general agreement on the upper pattern.

HP Greenland, mid Atlantic and eastern Europe, LP Pole, Spain with trough in between. So the likely surface analysis (broad brush) is low pressure from the Pole south to the Med with HP to the east and west. How the detail will emerge from this is not yet obvious.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-70715600-1433587605_thumb.p

post-12275-0-64884900-1433587615_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I noticed the Gfs 00z showed snow on high ground in Scotland on the 14th, the 6z doesn't but it still shows unseasonably cold Northerly winds with -5 T850 hPA flooding south into northern scotland. What the hell happened to the summery charts..lol

post-4783-0-29833100-1433590010_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.

Posted

It's still as well to remember it's still a bit up in the air, it's a transitory period, and there is a fair difference between the last two GFS runs.

Courtesy weatherbell.

post-12275-0-74182300-1433591108_thumb.p

post-12275-0-98542500-1433591117_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I noticed the Gfs 00z showed snow on high ground in Scotland on the 14th, the 6z doesn't but it still shows unseasonably cold Northerly winds with -5 T850 hPA flooding south into northern scotland. What the hell happened to the summery charts..lol

The same as all those lovely cold charts you posted in the winter, lol...

To be honest I got the impression that late spring and early summer was always going to be average to below average, so these cool trends in the models dont surprise me at all. :)

• Like 5

For the 6th day in a row these 10 day anom charts show mean temps across the UK (and indeed the northern half of Europe) to be several degrees below average. OK given the fact the next 5 or 6 days should be largely dry it will feel pleasant in the sunshine, but with more cloud and the likelihood of rain from Friday it's going to start feeling decidedly unpleasant imo - not really what we want to see at all as we close in on mid summers day.   http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

10 day 2m temp anomalies show quite a bit of northern Europe seeing below normal temps

gfsanom_eu.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Looking at this morning's anomalies, although not total agreement vis the trough, there would appear to be movement to a general agreement on the upper pattern.

HP Greenland, mid Atlantic and eastern Europe, LP Pole, Spain with trough in between. So the likely surface analysis (broad brush) is low pressure from the Pole south to the Med with HP to the east and west. How the detail will emerge from this is not yet obvious.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

not a sustainable pattern id have thought, so whilst it might well happen, imho it wouldnt last long.

not that what might replace it will be better... thats open for debate.

By several I take it you mean average to -2C for the UK?

lol.. indeed... im not worried about temps on the lower side of average, as ive mentioned several times before, itll feel very nice in the sun.

hmm.... not liking the 06z so much, the threat of an unsettled northwesterly isnt as 'good' as previous runs, so lets hope its just wrong and not picking up on a new pattern.

1-4c below average as a mean according to those charts I posted, 2-3c below average according to those just posted by SS.

but 4c below average in strong sun feels better then average under cloud....

• Like 1

Posted

You think its warm today?? the wind  makes it feel cold.. if its stop blowing for a  second you can get a tan.. All you get with this wind is a frostbite.. Am all for putting a  positive slant on it. But I call summer has warm. 15c  is warm when  the wind doesn't blow. It feel about 9c in the wind..Looking at the weather charts. Am with cold comfort. whos honest with his posts.These are not summer charts.. They maybe summer charts for the UK. because that's how the weather is,in these isles. But for  summer weather  or decent warmth.. so far the first week of summer has been poor temperature wise..

Am all for a positive outlook. But the way its going June will be colder than Aprill..that's after people  saying  its going to be a flaming June..Cold comfort is right in  their assessment.. The weather charts look on cold side.

• Like 3

Posted

1-4c below average as a mean according to those charts I posted, 2-3c below average according to those just posted by SS.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "1-4c below average as a mean". Your post links to one anomaly chart which as far as I can see shows two anomalies over the UK. Part of the UK is zero and the rest 0--2C. Not that any of this matters a jot.

• Like 2

Posted

not a sustainable pattern id have thought, so whilst it might well happen, imho it wouldnt last long.

not that what might replace it will be better... thats open for debate.

The trough is quite transitory and HP from the SW is the order of the day with both the GFS and ECM in the ext.. Much on the lines of this. But of course that's way down the line but would be consistent with the EC32.

post-12275-0-29006800-1433597838_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

The GEFS 6z mean shows an increasingly warm and settled outlook beyond the cooler less settled blip at the end of next week, the Azores high builds in strongly for the mid June period which could set us up for a good second half of the month. In the meantime, the short term looks decent with high pressure bringing strong sunshine during the week ahead but it will turn more unsettled across the northwest corner of the UK after Tuesday. It's a very encouraging mean longer term :)

post-4783-0-57928300-1433601379_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-89463400-1433601384_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-36436400-1433601390_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-36537400-1433601395_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-19437200-1433601401_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-64089500-1433601408_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-15643900-1433601426_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-52918000-1433601432_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

You think its warm today?? the wind  makes it feel cold.. if its stop blowing for a  second you can get a tan.. All you get with this wind is a frostbite.. Am all for putting a  positive slant on it. But I call summer has warm. 15c  is warm when  the wind doesn't blow. It feel about 9c in the wind..Looking at the weather charts. Am with cold comfort. whos honest with his posts.These are not summer charts.. They maybe summer charts for the UK. because that's how the weather is,in these isles. But for  summer weather  or decent warmth.. so far the first week of summer has been poor temperature wise..

Am all for a positive outlook. But the way its going June will be colder than Aprill..that's after people  saying  its going to be a flaming June..Cold comfort is right in  their assessment.. The weather charts look on cold side.

yes its certainly warm, in or out of the wind, and the wind doesnt prevent tanning. frostbite? lol...

• Like 2

Posted

That is an interesting GWO forecast chart, really tanking if correct. I had a look through the archives on the site to look at other strong Nino years - only two in the archive period but very different to the present time.

We are similar to and forecast to track the '97 event but have a look at the AAM for '97 as compared to the present time.

DQIHYNh.png    5etzPUn.png

Is it this divergence that is causing all the NWP changes - new algorithms needed!

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/nschiral/research/gwo/ncep_ncar_archive/

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The northerly for next weekend has gone on this run instead replaced by an easterly with some warmer air the risk of thunderstorms increases again towards the south and south east initially but like yesterday it quickly leaves as things turn fresher with a north easterly flow

gfs-0-144.png?12gfs-1-144.png?12gfs-2-144.png?12

gfs-0-168.png?12gfs-1-168.png?12gfs-2-168.png?12

If this was winter the easterly wouldn't arrive but you wouldn't bet against it happening seen as its summer

UKMO on the other hand has the high closer to the south west

UW144-21.GIF?06-18

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

Evening all :)

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/new.nao_index_ensm.html

The NAO goes positive again this week before a sharp drop into negative territory and then, after mid month, a huge scatter reflecting a lack of any clear signal.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015060612/gfs-0-120.png?12

This may surprise some but an NAO Positive chart with little or no LP in the Atlantic and the HP, though not orientated well for the UK synoptically is right where it should be as a feature.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015060612/gfsnh-0-300.png?12

Oddly enough, I think this illustrates the uncertainty very well. The Azores HP isn't rarely a feature and the trough over Scandinavia is throwing out areas of LP running north to south down the North Sea. Slack pressure to the NW and there's no real sign of strong blocking and the Atlantic isn't doing much either.

However, there is a signal of more energy coming off eastern Canada in FI and perhaps starting to lower heights into Greenland and encouraging the Azores HP to develop back NE. Those looking for potentially warm and settled conditions will welcome this and rightly so - it's not a hot feed off the Continent by any means but it would represent a positive development off a GFS 12Z which, in the medium term, doesn't look brilliant for England in particular.

Yet we have huge scatter on the NAO from +1.5 to -3 which tells me the only confidence is a lack of confidence into the last third of the month at this time.

• Like 3

Posted

Most of the week ahead looks very pleasant with spells of very strong sunshine on Gfs 12z, I think it's best to enjoy what we know is coming in the reliable timeframe, which is fine and pleasant for most of us.:)

post-4783-0-69146800-1433610334_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Most of the week ahead looks very pleasant with spells of very strong sunshine on Gfs 12z, I think it's best to enjoy what we know is coming in the reliable timeframe, which is fine and pleasant for most of us. :)

that's right Frosty! my ideal summer weather, no humidity, warm days light, preferably no wind, surely nobody can dislike 20C, sunny and no wind in Summer?

• Like 5