Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted

The BBC South Today forecast looks good for me, but should I believe it?

You are worrying  bout now?? After a few hours strong sunshine, less breeze it will all start to look good to you :):help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

On closer inspection the cloud is thinning and the sun has come out 13.7°C need the temp to rise now though and get some surface heat building to help.

Some Altocumulus Castellanus to my NE, but like you said some very stubborn cloud to my south, with it thinning on it's north eastern edge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Last Friday it was 13-15c at 9am in Norfolk with cloud and residual storms. By 3pm it was 25-26c. 

It doesn't take long for the sun at this time of the year to raise those temperatures if the airmass is a warm one. If the sun is breaking through already then my hopes are high for today :)

• Like 3

Posted

Very thin broken cloud here this morning, temperatures are responding nicely and not as fresh as I thought it would be. All in all a real chance to help things later, I don't finish work until 2100 and am hoping the storms will hold off until then though I suspect if we do see the storms it will be about 1900 and onwards.

South east Northamptonshire.

Posted

yeah sun strong at this time of year

when I came home at lunch yesterday - my conservatory thermometer was reading 53c !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

BBC Weather going for severe thunderstorms moving up from the south within the next hour. I don't see that happening yet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Last Friday it was 13-15c at 9am in Norfolk with cloud and residual storms. By 3pm it was 25-26c. 

It doesn't take long for the sun at this time of the year to raise those temperatures if the airmass is a warm one. If the sun is breaking through already then my hopes are high for today :)

And this time there isn't the crudfest - the sun didn't make an appearance until after 3pm. As I've had one visible flash of lightning this year I mustn't be greedy!

• Like 1

Posted

BBC Weather going for severe thunderstorms moving up from the south within the next hour. I don't see that happening yet...

For where William ?? A couple of fire ups off the SE coast atm. Not yet please......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

More cloudy here now :nonono:

Posted

Signs of a real clearance in the skies here on the South coast now.  Just off shore are blue skies and they're moving this way, which should help with temperatures.

Regarding the latest GFS etc... I'm not remotely worried.  We're talking showers here, albeit some are going to be pretty special.  The models just can't handle this sort of thing all that well.  Conditions look favourable across much of Southern England for a thundery late afternoon/early evening, but as always it'll be hit and miss.

My thoughts on where... Brighton westwards towards the IoW for the best storms, with torrential rain being the big story further West.  My thinking is to head 20-30 miles in land from the coast in this area and be there asap (earliest I can manage is closer to 8pm unfortunately but even that should be sufficient).  Winchester, for example, might be a good location or perhaps Redhill.

I see no need for any doom and gloom at present...

Posted

I am watching with interest from afar and saddened by the doom-mongering.

If the sun is out and the temperatures are rising that is a very positive step - most plumes are upset by lots of cloud and crud - humid airmass + strong heating, with some atmospheric activity in the form of troughs fronts and CZs its all there (admittedly I've not chart surfed but it sounds to be the case).

I will be stuck under 30C clear skies watching (as I did yesterday) massive daytime thunderstorms in the distance over Turkey and watching (when I have wifi) my home country lighting up like a Christmas tree.

No doom-mongering yet - it's only just past 8am with a day of potential ahead!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Clouds back in Sutton :(. lol. Going to work now, having no windows may be my saviour until this evening. Break around midday so hoping to see blazing sunshine by then. Carol Kirkwood at London zoo still seems optimistic. But when doesn't she?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

From around midday onwards it looks very promising.

ukstormrisk.pngukstormrisk.pngukstormrisk.png

Posted

I am going to lock this thread shortly and start a new one for today's activity and beyond.

New thread here:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83332-storm-convective-discussion-12th-june-2015-onwards/

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2