Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looks stormy to the south and north and has suddenly got quite windy.

Same thing around Birmingham.....No real convection... its just good to see some clouds coming over that `just might`

Who am i kidding.........desperation on my part :nonono:

post-12214-0-37068700-1433511566_thumb.p

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Knew I should've booked off work today and gone to Belgium. I'd give a right arm to be there now!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

So that's all over. Anyway I'm in need of a double fix now - when's the next chance for convection?

Oh and I got my storm chase day off! Only it's on Monday now and not today. Hmmm I think that idea won't work.

Going down the pub to drink computer and play on my beer - for it is the weekend!

:-D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Was sunbathing less than half hour ago now it looks like it is going to tip down and is windy.

I had that here. It's not convection, that was the cold front passing through. The temperature was 21C here prior to it, now it's 16C and the humidity is falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Very interesting skies over Derby.Could something be brewing?!.

Posted

Anybody got any decent webcam links for these Belgian/Dutch storms? I can only seem to find timed  stationery images

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

A cursory glance at the radar grabs for the near continent would make the storm starved have a sense of De ja vu, how those model corrections East of our unstable plume once again have been this Islands undoing.

Rooting around for webcam links for continental cities to view approaching supercells the order of things.Although I'm sure those that arn't weather crazies would swap the gorgeous summer conditions i have here right now for buckets of rain in Bruges!

Posted

One in Ghent/Gent (looking north) - http://www.eurocitycam.com/belgium-live-webcams-city-view-weather/gent.html

Edited by robt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

A lot of western Europe is looking like the festive lights are on with these storms! Kicking off in the Loire Valley, but they'll never make it down as far as me...

Posted

Guys ignore that nonsense in Bruges - we got a bolt of lightning in Chipping Norton!

Damn I should have gone there!

:-(

Hoping France will put on a show in Autumn when we're over there ... Last time there was an amazing towering nimbucumula but it wasn't over us - but even out of the storms the weather was gorgeous!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Guys ignore that nonsense in Bruges - we got a bolt of lightning in Chipping Norton!

Damn I should have gone there!

:-(

Hoping France will put on a show in Autumn when we're over there ... Last time there was an amazing towering nimbucumula but it wasn't over us - but even out of the storms the weather was gorgeous!!!

September is a gorgeous month here in France, but it can be just as hot as summer. The storm potential is often good - I've been unable to leave the country twice in September due to thunderstorms, and my friend's kitchen was gutted by a lightning strike on one of those occasions and their car written off by hen egg size hail on another occasion - you do have to be careful what you wish for over here. I have also learned never to curse the rain as we need it in moderation for the food and drink plants - never be too worshipful of thunderstorms as they damage the food and drink plants with hail - never wish for endless sunshine as it causes drought which stunts the food and drink plants - and never scorn the cold as it conditions the soil for better food and drink plants! Over here last summer was very thundery and a lot of people lost a lot of crops - the majority of my neighbours are virtually self sufficient in fruit and veg, and you get used to eating what is in season which is wonderful (right now my baby gooseberry bushes, planted only in April are mouthwateringly close to their load being eaten). This saves a packet of money and food miles too, and it forces you to have a healthier diet. So they get a bit miffed when those cumulonimbus unleash their hail.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted

September is a gorgeous month here in France, but it can be just as hot as summer. The storm potential is often good - I've been unable to leave the country twice in September due to thunderstorms, and my friend's kitchen was gutted by a lightning strike on one of those occasions and their car written off by hen egg size hail on another occasion - you do have to be careful what you wish for over here. I have also learned never to curse the rain as we need it in moderation for the food and drink plants - never be too worshipful of thunderstorms as they damage the food and drink plants with hail - never wish for endless sunshine as it causes drought which stunts the food and drink plants - and never scorn the cold as it conditions the soil for better food and drink plants! Over here last summer was very thundery and a lot of people lost a lot of crops - the majority of my neighbours are virtually self sufficient in fruit and veg, and you get used to eating what is in season which is wonderful (right now my baby gooseberry bushes, planted only in April are mouthwateringly close to their load being eaten). This saves a packet of money and food miles too, and it forces you to have a healthier diet. So they get a bit miffed when those cumulonimbus unleash their hail.

I just read "car written off by a hen egg" and got worried for a second that there might be a giant mental car-wrecking French hen on the loose ;-)

But I agree - all types of weather in moderation is good for everyone :-)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Anyone seen this, it's about hail from this mornings storms. Don't ask me why they call it a tropical storm mind lol.

http://www.courier.co.uk/Tropical-storm-hits-Kent-reports-flash-floods/story-26641467-detail/story.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyone seen this, it's about hail from this mornings storms. Don't ask me why they call it a tropical storm mind lol.

http://www.courier.co.uk/Tropical-storm-hits-Kent-reports-flash-floods/story-26641467-detail/story.html

Now that, alexis, is a question I've been asking, since the 1960s...As yet, no answer has been forthcoming! :D

Posted

Nice Arcus in Belgium - picture by Pierre Hutin and commentary from Keraunos.

orages-5-juin-2015-nord-pas-de-calais-pi

http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/fil-infos/2015/juin/orages-5-juin-2015-nord-pas-de-calais-picardie-ile-de-france-champagne-grele-rafales-de-vent.html

Thunderstorms are violent locally north of the Seine from the middle of the afternoon. Many microbursts were observed by hunters storms up and a gustnado in Oise.
Damage to vegetation such are reported in several parts of the Picardie and Nord-Pas de Calais (100 km / h recorded in Rouvroy in the Somme and 120 km / h in Epinoy in the Pas-de-Calais). Convection is organized in a linear system on the South and North to Belgium as evidenced this arcus taken by Pierre Hutin:

• Like 4

Posted

A pretty magnificent thunderstorm just passed in Belgium. Certainly in the north of England or Scotland these can't happen more than a few times per decade although I imagine it's not too rare here. 

• Like 1

Posted

Play at Roland Garros stopped ahead of a severe thunderstorm warning.

Yep, get the Paris webcams fired up!