Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polar Maritime

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2015 reports.

It's that time of year again where 'some' are on the look-out for the elusive Noctilucent Clouds, Please post any reports or sighting here, And let's hope for a good season with some spectacular shows!   :)

noctilucent-clouds-Sunderland-UK-Matt-Ro

NOCTILUCENT CLOUD SEASON BEGINS: NASA's AIM spacecraft has spotted a luminous patch of electric-blue drifting across the Arctic Circle. The sighting marks the beginning of the 2015 season for noctilucent clouds (NLCs). "The first clouds appeared on May 19th--a bit earlier than usual," reports Cora Randall, AIM science team member at the University of Colorado. They are located at longitude +90o in this polar image recorded by AIM's CIPS instrument:

nlc_strip.gif
The first northern-hemisphere NLCs of 2015, recorded by AIM/CIPS on May 19th

"It is always good to see the beginning of another season," says James Russell of Hampton University, principal investigator for the AIM mission. "What surprises will it bring? We will see. The clouds have never disappointed us."

NLCs are Earth's highest clouds. Seeded by meteoroids, they float at the edge of space more than 80 km above the planet's surface. The clouds are very cold and filled with tiny ice crystals. When sunbeams hit those crystals, they glow electric-blue.

Noctilucent clouds first appeared in the 19th century after the eruption of super-volcano Krakatoa. At the time, people thought the clouds were caused by the eruption, but long after Krakatoa's ash settled, the clouds remained. In those days, NLCs were a polar phenomenon confined mainly to the Arctic. In recent years they have intensified and spread with sightings as far south as Utah and Colorado. This could be a sign of increasing greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere.

Data from AIM have shown that NLCs are like a great "geophysical light bulb." They turn on every year in late spring, reaching almost full intensity over a period of 5 to 10 days. News flash: The bulb is glowing. Stay tuned for sightingshttp://spaceweather.com/ 

nothing last night, not that i saw on my way home at 11-1115 pm.

Looks like Scotland got lucky last night  :)

NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS OVER SCOTLAND: The northern summer season for noctilucent clouds (NLCs) is underway. Earth-orbiting satellites such as AIM and the International Space Station have been photographing the electric-blue clouds for days. Last night, sky watchers on Earth saw them, too. M. J. S. Ferrier sends this picture from Barassie Beach in Ayrshire, Scotland:

scotland_strip.jpg

http://spaceweather.com/

Maybe I'll have a better spotting year than last! Hope it's clear tonight!

im determined to see them this year.... even if it means not drinking (for me, almost impossible) so i can go out at dusk, select a decent viewpoint, and wait!

im determined to see them this year.... even if it means not drinking (for me, almost impossible) so i can go out at dusk, select a decent viewpoint, and wait!

A few years back there was a fantastic showing up here so I eagerly grabbed the camera/tripod and briskly walked to the coast to get some fine shots only to set everything up and find that I'd forgot to put the battery in the camera..!! If I'd not had a drink I'd have made sure I had everything before leaving..

The photos would have turned out blurred anyway..!! LOL

I'm really getting in the mood now after seeing this wonderful picture from the Isle of Sky Superb! Fingers crossed next week could deliver further South. Fingers crossed MushyRob  :)

NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS INTENSIFY: The northern summer season for noctilucent clouds (NLCs) is underway. Earth-orbiting satellites such as AIM and the International Space Station have been photographing the electric-blue clouds for days. On May 28th, sky watchers on Earth saw them, too. Andy Stables sends this picture from Isle of Skye, Scotland.

It was taken at 00:25am

scotland2_strip.jpg

http://spaceweather.com/

Taken by Adrian Maricic on June 3, 2015 @ Auchterderran Fife Scotland

Adrian-Maricic-NLC030615_1433287061_lg.j

GOT EM! :)

last night c 22.30 but were not as clear as previous pics posted on here . layers of misty clouds, rather indistinct, perhaps not a good night or im still too far south for anything spectacular.

took pics, and the pics are ok on my camera screen....but when i uploaded them to my pc they were almost totally black :cc_confused:

Bad look reg the photos Rob, Saw nothing here last night but it's early days yet so chances will improve  :)

Caught them on my time-lapse last night. Hoping for a 2009 type display this year.

Yes around 50sec in they are evident on the horizon.

They are certainly bubbling up over the Arctic. Found this vid also from last night.

current_daisy.png?PHPSESSID=np9dm1u9m57t

perhaps not a good night or im still too far south for anything spectacular.

Dont despair.. You won't be too far south if there is a good display.

i saw similar to this although not quite as distinct

post-2797-0-94152500-1433675416_thumb.jp

image lifed off google to illustrate.

There were some visible last night here too! But they didn't even come close to these which I captured last July :)

post-8895-0-49780700-1433677940_thumb.jp

I have been keeping an eye out again this year and, so far, have seen nothing. Last night looked promising but when viewed through bino's it was broken low cloud with the twilight showing through.  

One of mine from last year.

post-20937-0-41026100-1433679441_thumb.p 

This is what I saw last night. The best I have seen so far but then I have only started looking for noctilucent clouds late last year. :)

post-14889-0-39001800-1433697215_thumb.j

Tonight could be promising with very clear skys here.

Sat out last night for a while and saw nowt also, Was a lovely evening though..

a no show again last night.... sky looked promising, but no sign of anything :(

Superb twin sundogs just. Didn't have camera unfortunately.

Superb twin sundogs just. Didn't have camera unfortunately.

Saw this one an hour or so ago.

post-12319-0-93735200-1433966242_thumb.j

seems quiet atm.... im too tired (drunk) to stay up midweek cos of work. but there arent many obs being made this year.

• Warm run-up to Easter but a destabilising low means sunshine and showers at the weekend

High pressure is keeping our weather settled at the moment, and in the main it'll stay that way until the end of the week. But with low pressure helping to destabilise the atmosphere this weekend, the sunshine will be joined by some heavy showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather