Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 3 - Build Up & Outlook

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Finally started to seriously look at the prospects for tour 3, for which I'll be out on. Next Saturday, day before 1st proper chase day, looks like a cold front will sink S/SE into the central/southern Plains as a shortwave trough moves east over the mid-west, not much upper support though.

post-1052-0-88981800-1432371712_thumb.gipost-1052-0-47498200-1432371784_thumb.gipost-1052-0-68054700-1432371809_thumb.gi

Sunday, again, looks like a cold front play across Oklahoma, not a great deal of upper support:

post-1052-0-46813900-1432372031_thumb.gipost-1052-0-94068700-1432372012_thumb.gipost-1052-0-02443700-1432372069_thumb.gi

The shortwave trough moves on east by Monday, then it looks ridgy for a few days ahead of another trough arriving Pacific coast:

post-1052-0-43738400-1432371198_thumb.gi

But 00z GFS operational and ensemble brings that Pac coast trough slowly inland during the week, so severe weather picking up again (hopefully!) over the central/northern high Plains:

post-1052-0-70107500-1432372344_thumb.gipost-1052-0-41638800-1432372373_thumb.gi

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

Will that mean tan topping up and shopping time then... JOKE!

I'm sure we'll get chance in the early afternoons waiting for storms to errupt :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hey Guys less then 4 days till I fly out... Am staying at the Best Western Friday night so if anyone else is also staying their be great to meet up for a drink ?

As for pick ups on Saturday does anyone know if pick up from the Best Western is possible ? If so what time / place ? Or shall I just wait to hear come Friday / Saturday ?

Thanks guys looking forward to meeting everybody !!

Hey Guys less then 4 days till I fly out... Am staying at the Best Western Friday night so if anyone else is also staying their be great to meet up for a drink ?

As for pick ups on Saturday does anyone know if pick up from the Best Western is possible ? If so what time / place ? Or shall I just wait to hear come Friday / Saturday ?

Thanks guys looking forward to meeting everybody !!

Hi Thomas,

I'm staying at the Best Western that night. What time do you land? Drop me an email at some point in the evening: sw1927@my.bristol.ac.uk

(As to anyone else, feel free to contact me on that email address).

Sam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Morning All,

For those that don't know me I will be driving the lead car on Tour 3 and also dealing with the technical side of things. I am staying in downtown Dallas on Friday but I am on the BA Flight that gets in at 13:40 local. I have set up a facebook chat for T3. If those who are not friends with me on facebook could you please add me (David Vicary) profile picture is in black and white and I have glasses on! 

Also if any of you need anything I will have my mobile on me UK and USA, you can reach me on 07811330767.

It would be good to meet up at Heathrow for a sneaky beer!  :drunk:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Morning All,

For those that don't know me I will be driving the lead car on Tour 3 and also dealing with the technical side of things. I am staying in downtown Dallas on Friday but I am on the BA Flight that gets in at 13:40 local. I have set up a facebook chat for T3. If those who are not friends with me on facebook could you please add me (David Vicary) profile picture is in black and white and I have glasses on

Also if any of you need anything I will have my mobile on me UK and USA, you can reach me on 07811330767.

It would be good to meet up at Heathrow for a sneaky beer!  :drunk:

What technical things can you help with??

Tinder?

Hair dryers?

;)

Posted

Looking at the weather for the start of T3, 28C and humid in DFW Friday and Saturday for those landing those days before the tour starts on Sunday. Cold front looks to sink south and SE from the central/central high Plains towards northern Texas on Saturday as a shortwave moves east into the mid-west, so could see a line of storms/MCS moving S and SE over DFW later on Saturday.

post-1052-0-38112600-1432650346_thumb.gipost-1052-0-54986200-1432650308_thumb.gi

Sunday, looks like there could be some play over eastern New Mexico for day 1 as we see a return moist flow here in wake of the cold front stalling over Texas:

post-1052-0-15146900-1432650643_thumb.gipost-1052-0-34689700-1432650660_thumb.gi

Thereafter, drying up over the southern Plains early next week, as we see a ridge build over SW deserts, which will be a relief for those flooded in recent days in TX and OK.Weak zonal flow for much next week across CONUS, flow looks like strengthening over NW and northern US states during the week, as shortwaves move east  from the Pacific coast over NW USA, so we could be looking at chasing in the northern/northen high Plains such as Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas - with the risk perhaps pushing south into Colorado/Nebraska too, though this could change nearer the time.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Morning All,

For those that don't know me I will be driving the lead car on Tour 3 and also dealing with the technical side of things. I am staying in downtown Dallas on Friday but I am on the BA Flight that gets in at 13:40 local. I have set up a facebook chat for T3. If those who are not friends with me on facebook could you please add me (David Vicary) profile picture is in black and white and I have glasses on!

It would be good to meet up at Heathrow for a sneaky beer! :drunk:

Hi Dave I have added you on Facebook now ... Think we are on the same flight so could meet up for a beer at Heathrow ?

Edited by Thomas Airey

Posted

Hi my name is Dave the Dryer.For those that don't know me I'll be riding the rear moped on tour 13 and dealing with the sandwich side of things . I'll be staying in the caravan on the car park in uptown Dilton on Friday night but I am on flight DIal999.If you don't want to be friends with me don't add me (DaveDryer). My profile pic is pink and I'm in my underwear.

If you need anything you'll just have to wait.

It would be preferable to avoid me you're not drinking my beer.

Posted

Very good lads, very good......

See you on Saturday at the BesieWesie for a couple of cold ones.

Think I have got everyone on Facebook now, role on Friday! 

Posted

We've just had a vote and decided to put you in the doghouse Dave :p Back of the queue sunshine!

Posted

Tinder?

Hair dryers?

;)

Dave is a great asset to the tour he is the ONLY member of the team, that has a copy of "Dummies Guide to Storm Chasing" in the glovebox ready and finger marked at various "How do I" pages. He's great with cables so if you are into a slight bit of the ol' massage by twilight and cable, he's your man. :oops:

PS, you'll know when he is angry he suddenly grows to 5' 2" tall :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Hi my name is Dave the Dryer.For those that don't know me I'll be riding the rear moped on tour 13 and dealing with the sandwich side of things . I'll be staying in the caravan on the car park in uptown Dilton on Friday night but I am on flight DIal999.If you don't want to be friends with me don't add me (DaveDryer). My profile pic is pink and I'm in my underwear.

If you need anything you'll just have to wait.

It would be preferable to avoid me you're not drinking my beer.

Love it!

Posted

See...here I am trying to get chat going for all the T3 guests, trying to be nice, trying to be friendly and you put me down.

Happy to be Dog House, won't have to deal with Paul moaning about the rain, sun, wind, hail, temperature, dew point..and how Arron keeps rejecting his advances every night.

• Like 2

Posted

See...here I am trying to get chat going for all the T3 guests, trying to be nice, trying to be friendly and you put me down.

Happy to be Dog House, won't have to deal with Paul moaning about the rain, sun, wind, hail, temperature, dew point..and how Arron keeps rejecting his advances every night.

DJ, I think Paul's sore as he's suffering foot rot from all the rain!

• Like 1

Posted

I've got the hairdryer issue covered this time, I brought my own, given I had to go 3 hotels in a row without one 2 years ago.  Not a good scenario for a girl.

Although I'm sure you guys are meaning something else in your ribbing of Mr Vicary  :sorry:

I arrived in Dallas this afternoon.  Hotel has put on a party with free bbq and live music :)

Tinder?
Hair dryers?
;)

Edited by CycloneGail
  • Like 1

Posted

Checked in, Packing...DONE. Where is the beer? See you tomorrow Texas!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Hi All,

I have arrived at Best western hotel on 5050 W John Carpenter Freeway. Anyone staying here tonight? Anyone know what time the pick up might be?

Many thanks,

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan

The guys are currently at the best western in Irving.

The hotel usually have a free bus which will take you to the airport. Changeover time is usually 12pm but get there about 11:30 in case the leave sooner! Meet them at the car rental village. Look out for Bruce Forsythe!

Gee

Edited by Crashlanding

Posted

Good luck Tour 3

You might have to take a long trek North as the primary risk for the next three days exists on the high plains of MT and the Dakotas

• Like 1