Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bolsover-Weather-Research

Cheap documentary cameras?

I'm looking to film a weather documentary and I need a base camcorder that can film 1080i at least, preferably 1080p. My budget is sub £500, and i'm ok with second hand. I've looked at the sony hvr-a1e, as there are some on amazon.co.uk for sub £500, but I want to know what my options are.

Any info appreciated!

I'd look at mid-range SLRs or even a decent compact camera they all do pretty good video at 1080p  now.
You'll need an external mic so make sure it has the input for it.
Consider a gopro type cam too.
Dedicated camcorders are a bit 1985, even blockbuster movies like the last Robin Hood were filmed on a Canon 5D

1080i is a bit LOL - avoid using that please.

Cannon XA10 is a camera docs have been shot in, very small full hd and SD card recording, prob cost you @700 second hand.

I'd look at mid-range SLRs or even a decent compact camera they all do pretty good video at 1080p  now.

You'll need an external mic so make sure it has the input for it.

Consider a gopro type cam too.

Dedicated camcorders are a bit 1985, even blockbuster movies like the last Robin Hood were filmed on a Canon 5D

1080i is a bit LOL - avoid using that please.

Hmm, your right. The camera i was looking at was first sold in 2005, so maybe it is outdated. I have a Gopro, but if I went for a SLR, i would probably get some form of shoulder mount for it, as it wouldn't be stable on in my hands. But i'm looking for something that was built to do video, although as you said, mid range to high range SLRs are an option. As HighPressure mentioned the Canon XA10, I went and had a look, that is the style i'm looking for, but at a lower price. Bare in mind that I may have to have a protective rain cover over the top. If i went with a smaller camcorder with a mic jack, how would I mount the mic, is there some form of cradle i can get seperate? Thanks for the replies :).