Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Torrential rain passing through here now, lashing against the windows. Slates off the roof after last night, hope we don't get a leak! Currently 12.2oC.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Gusting into the mid 40's here with heavy moderate showers, Temp 10.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

So apparently yesterday wasn't even near a gale day, the maximum 10 minute average wind speed was only 25mph in Coventry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

What site was that on Snowsie?

(Like to have my hopes raised, keeps me entertained - lol)

Hi Fizz511

It was on my BBC weather app. Took a screen shot because I wanted to grab it before it disappeared lol

Just looked on met office and have a flake for 3am Saturday. We shall see...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Hi Fizz511

It was on my BBC weather app. Took a screen shot because I wanted to grab it before it disappeared lol

Just looked on met office and have a flake for 3am Saturday. We shall see...

Every year I promise myself I will not get OCD with weather sites at the first sniff of snow, but here I go again, hunting down the tiniest snow symbol!

Yes, I suspect it will have turned itself into a rain drop by morning eh?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

So looking forward to the weekend ......Forgot what it feels like to breath in that cold crisp aircold-breath.gif It's been awhile  :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes will feel like it's Xmas, also timed for Stafford town centre's light switch on, at 5pm, just hope for ppl going, the rain arrives after

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Final nail in the coffin for snow this weekend IMO. All snow and shower symbols gone from the meto forecasts now for here. Not the most trustworthy I know but all other models show just a few coastal flurries. Hate cold that brings no reward for it. Will enjoy the sun but will feel uncomfortably cold with no reward. Typical set up these days I'm afraid.

Posted

Final nail in the coffin for snow this weekend IMO. All snow and shower symbols gone from the meto forecasts now for here. Not the most trustworthy I know but all other models show just a few coastal flurries. Hate cold that brings no reward for it. Will enjoy the sun but will feel uncomfortably cold with no reward. Typical set up these days I'm afraid.

yes, warm front moving down Saturday night, latest GFS has it as snow for west of region, but think it's wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Every year I promise myself I will not get OCD with weather sites at the first sniff of snow, but here I go again, hunting down the tiniest snow symbol!

Yes, I suspect it will have turned itself into a rain drop by morning eh?

You try not to get OCD on Weather sites at the first hint of snow? Well, you've got no chance in overcoming that problem fizzychops :rofl:

I've been coming onto Netweather for the past 11 Winters now, I thought that maybe I'd stop doing it at some point but I doubt I ever will :laugh: As soon as the models start to show colder Weather, I can't stop myself from coming on here. It's like a drug :D

I might spend more time in this thread this Winter. Last Winter I flirted between this thread and the South West/South Central thread but barring the odd few from Oxfordshire, most of the posters in there are from the South West or the far South. I'm nearer to the Midlands really!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Snowflake symbol disappeared in my area. LOL. :rofl:

I wouldn't worry too much about that right now.

The models are still to nail down what will happen at the weekend. They have been consistent with their forecast of a cold snap but they are changing run by run with regards to PPN placement and troughs and showers.

The 18z GFS run tonight shows a feature that could bring a few cm's to some areas of the West Midlands on Saturday night

Rtavn784.gif

Also, there appears to be something to keep an eye on if you live in the East Midlands. A disturbance running along the Eastern side on Friday night.

ukprec.png

If either of those features moves by 50 miles either way, it could be a direct hit for the Midlands! Obviously the chances of anything more than a few CM's are looking slim but it could leave a few people with a nice surprise if it changes slightly over the next few days.

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

:hi: "Also, there appears to be something to keep an eye on if you live in the East Midlands. A disturbance running along the Eastern side on Friday night."

Andy, I seem to be the most easterly poster here, now you have moved. Guess I`ll just have to build a snowman on my own!! :good: Radar de-cobwebbed, security light re-wired... to be honest, for ppn, the`re the most reliable forcasting tool there is!!

Oh, that and the mods starting a new Midlands thread!

Edited by echobase

Posted

The forecast is going for 60 mph winds running down the far east of the region, just imagine if there was snow in that too?

We're so unlucky here aren't we?

People keep anging on about how wonderful 2010 was, and yet we only had half an inch of snow that cold spell.

Seems like we can rarely get over an inch in any set-up nowadays.

Never used to be like that when I was a kid in the 80s, the northerlies were potent enough to bring snow from the direct north over the entire length of the Pennines, and still give us a few good inches of snow.

The one thing I've learnt about climate change, it's that it makes the weather in the Midlands impotent and dull!

Posted

The forecast is going for 60 mph winds running down the far east of the region, just imagine if there was snow in that too?

We're so unlucky here aren't we?

People keep anging on about how wonderful 2010 was, and yet we only had half an inch of snow that cold spell.

Seems like we can rarely get over an inch in any set-up nowadays.

Never used to be like that when I was a kid in the 80s, the northerlies were potent enough to bring snow from the direct north over the entire length of the Pennines, and still give us a few good inches of snow.

The one thing I've learnt about climate change, it's that it makes the weather in the Midlands impotent and dull!

If it wasn't for the snow on the morning of 22nd December 2010 when we had a few inches maybe even a foot (can't remember the exact depth), the December 2010 cold spell wouldn't have been so great here either. In fact the snow that morning was probably the deepest snow round here since possibly February 1991, or at least 1996. People elsewhere go on about 18th December 2010, but despite snowing all day left only a fairly thin covering round here, possibly half an inch like you say. The 22nd made up for it though but being as the snow on that date isn't as famous as the snow of four days before it must have been much more localised. Then again we always seem to do better with these surprise events than we do with the more hyped up and forecast well in advance events round here for some reason.

Anyway I'm not overly bothered by this weekends event really, and just think if we do get anything it'll be a nice bonus. I'm going to wait till winter proper (1st December-29th February) to let my snow cravings really take hold. I think it'll be nice to just get a frost at this stage, something that's been lacking so far this Autumn.

Posted

You try not to get OCD on Weather sites at the first hint of snow? Well, you've got no chance in overcoming that problem fizzychops :rofl:

I've been coming onto Netweather for the past 11 Winters now, I thought that maybe I'd stop doing it at some point but I doubt I ever will :laugh: As soon as the models start to show colder Weather, I can't stop myself from coming on here. It's like a drug :D

I might spend more time in this thread this Winter. Last Winter I flirted between this thread and the South West/South Central thread but barring the odd few from Oxfordshire, most of the posters in there are from the South West or the far South. I'm nearer to the Midlands really!

Once you've been here once, you always come back for more :D 

Might get a quick flurry on Sat morning (I wouldn't worry about Sat night) but then I think it could be a while before another chance of snow. Probably into 2016 when there's a decent chance of a SSW

Posted

The 6z still looks promising.. METO have warnings out for the North.

Within this northerly flow, a small but quite active low pressure system is expected to develop and transfer south bringing more widespread wintry conditions and strong to gale force winds. At present details of both the snow amounts and wind strengths are uncertain, and so expect updates to the warning.

post-12319-0-48099700-1447931308_thumb.p

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

bbc forecast shocking! said dry and sunny, but got the usual rain and seems persistent, not showery,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

If it wasn't for the snow on the morning of 22nd December 2010 when we had a few inches maybe even a foot (can't remember the exact depth), the December 2010 cold spell wouldn't have been so great here either. In fact the snow that morning was probably the deepest snow round here since possibly February 1991, or at least 1996. People elsewhere go on about 18th December 2010, but despite snowing all day left only a fairly thin covering round here, possibly half an inch like you say. The 22nd made up for it though but being as the snow on that date isn't as famous as the snow of four days before it must have been much more localised. Then again we always seem to do better with these surprise events than we do with the more hyped up and forecast well in advance events round here for some reason.

Anyway I'm not overly bothered by this weekends event really, and just think if we do get anything it'll be a nice bonus. I'm going to wait till winter proper (1st December-29th February) to let my snow cravings really take hold. I think it'll be nice to just get a frost at this stage, something that's been lacking so far this Autumn.

yes I too think that were it not for the snowfall of a few inches on 20th Dec 2010 then this particular year that everyone keeps going on about was not particularly amazing for us in the east midlands either.  I suppose it was more noticeable for the cold rather than the amount of snow.  I have seen far better snowfalls in 2009 and early 2010.

Posted

Warnings have been extended now by the METO for Fri/Sat.

post-12319-0-28743200-1447935780_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

As long as Warwickshire isn't the ONLY part of the Midlands with no snow, I won't be too fussed. However, if Warwickshire is the only area without snow, I will sure be bloody peed off with this erratic weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

yes I too think that were it not for the snowfall of a few inches on 20th Dec 2010 then this particular year that everyone keeps going on about was not particularly amazing for us in the east midlands either.  I suppose it was more noticeable for the cold rather than the amount of snow.  I have seen far better snowfalls in 2009 and early 2010.

I remember being really annoyed that the North East, Sheffield, Gatwick etc were all getting battered  in Early December 2010. We had a beautiful Hoar frost on the 7th and then it went slightly milder for a week or so. The 18th was great, 4 inches (Not massive I know but was for Hatton) but the surprise on the 22nd was epic as all the snow from the 18th was still around and it added another 5 or 6 inches in the space of about 2 hours. I drove 3 miles to my parents house in Warwick later on and they had about 3 inches in total from the 2 falls of snow, bizarre. That was the last snow of the winter if I remember correctly in my area.

Posted

:hi: "Also, there appears to be something to keep an eye on if you live in the East Midlands. A disturbance running along the Eastern side on Friday night."

Andy, I seem to be the most easterly poster here, now you have moved. Guess I`ll just have to build a snowman on my own!! :good: Radar de-cobwebbed, security light re-wired... to be honest, for ppn, the`re the most reliable forcasting tool there is!!

Oh, that and the mods starting a new Midlands thread!

Haha :D Gotta love a security light for snow spotting! Well, having looked at todays 06z run, the snow chance has indeed shifted more towards the Central part of the Midlands! I did think that things would shift a bit when I saw the models last night. Now, the main chance of snow for Derbyshire, Nottingham, Leicester, Northants, Birmingham and Oxford (I know, it's not technically the Midlands but I'm being biased :D)​ looks to be on Saturday night into Sunday

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

I know these charts suggest a more sleety mix for Birmingham but a lot of places around Birmingham have some elevation, if you live at 150m+ I would say you would be ok. Things can still change in 48 hours though!

• Like 1

Posted

As long as Warwickshire isn't the ONLY part of the Midlands with no snow, I won't be too fussed. However, if Warwickshire is the only area without snow, I will sure be bloody peed off with this erratic weather.

Don't worry - however much snow you get it will be a lot more than Evesham.  

(Which isn't to say you'll get any, of course!)