Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase day 10 reports and pictures/videos

Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Lovely storm , fantastic chase, nearly came to grief due to flash floods.

however 

More to follow 

Tom

• Like 1

Posted

We battled through flooded roads passed cars that had been swept into the ditches drivers trying to get their belongs out to safety only to find that our way north was flooded too. So we sat behind some vehicles that did not want to attempt going through what was a river. At this point a severe storm was closing in on us, torrential rain , deadly lightning and golf ball size hail. We considered turning round only to find the road behind was now impassible. It was strange sitting there watching large hail floating passed you.

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Lovely storm , fantastic chase, nearly came to grief due to flash floods.

however 

More to follow 

Tom

Would have been great to chase that storm and well worth the final day on tour 1 effort.

Streamed really well, and when linked to the radarscope app could really get a feel for it.

And perhaps a few more Texan chase days this week (not Thurs) before things hot up this weekend!

Posted

So there was no turning back and getting hit by the oncoming storm was not a good option either. Some folks didnt want to attempt the floods but we had no alternative our choices were limited. So we watch to see if anyone could make it and once we saw it was possible we went for it. Hoping that the wakes from the vehicle in front didnt cause a problem and with guidance from Paul about which course to take we made it.  Lots of over flooded road to get through but this was the worse bit. 

its now 3.40am and time for bed 

Tom

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

The adrenaline must of been pumping guys! Glad you had a great final days chase, bring on tour 2!

Posted

Great videos!

Maybe you should have sent someone to the other side to film you coming through like at Palo Duro canyon :wink:

Ah yes the water splash, I remember it well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I feel like I'm still driving - around 900 miles yesterday for a last chance chase of the season for Tour 1 guests, and me...

What a day, totally different ending to the one we expected - a 2 hour flash flood delay before a 5 hour drive back to Dallas, but well worth it. A cell that grew and intensified quite quickly in the high temperatures in oily West Texas. It then cycled from classic to HP and back again a few times, switching between outflow dominant and back re intensifying as we stopped and started for pictures.

Knackering, adrenaline fuelled and even had a brief touch down that meant we had to drive over downed power lines (which were safe at the time) before the dustbowl we'd been watching from turned into a fast flowing river joining lakes either side of the road, with large hail rattling the underside of the car as it washed past. I'm still cursing that I didn't grab some photo's of the floods, but the ohers were filming away, and you've seen Tom's quick upload form last night too.

Sad to be leaving the USA, but happy that we gave the Tour 1 newbies plenty of memories and reasons to think about coming back to play again :-)

post-1056-0-44809400-1432047157_thumb.jp

post-1056-0-17712200-1432047179_thumb.jp

post-1056-0-72392500-1432047187_thumb.jp

post-1056-0-91112800-1432047192_thumb.jp

post-1056-0-21565700-1432047167_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Posted

Watched it all last night, great viewing

Posted

There was a reported tornado in this location.  I saw rotation on the ground,  I cant say it was one but it might have been.

• Like 1