Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is May 2015 so far...

Posted

Out walking in the NE fells and it was jolly cold on the tops - a persistant strong cold wind, 3 layers on, by mid May unless wet 2 layers is normally sufficient especially in ascent - not today..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Today was nice when the sun was out and out of the breeze. However when the wind picked up it really brought a chill with it. I cant wait till mid summer when even below average days still feel pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's horrible and cold. Average high is 1 degrees below average so far and rainfall exceeded the monthly average one week in. Bring forth June and hopefully something better.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

It's horrible and cold. Average high is 1 degrees below average so far and rainfall exceeded the monthly average one week in. Bring forth June and hopefully something better.

The average July mean is roughly 5c warmer than the May mean. So for a breezy westerly sort of day in Mid July we would be seeing maxes topping out around 22c in the SE. Nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Utter garbage for May on the north coast.  Normally we get a short spring in late April and May before a crap summer; this year, most folk are saying we're still in winter mode. I'm still reaching for my coat when going out, 2 shirts and a fleece beneath.  The sunny day this week was Weds and I had to put gloves on by late afternoon to avoid frostbite. (ok, I exaggerate a tad.) Still wearing my socks at night too, despite complaints.

Forecast for the end of the month is barely any better and we're quickly running into the solstice....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

pretty rancid tbh, i dont think weve got above 16c yet this year but this is probably the worst month so far this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Has been reasonably warm and dry on my return from the UK but not a lot of sunshine. Snow now retreating to higher levels. Have noticed the persistent low temperatures this month over a large part of Northern Europe from Scotland across to much of Scandinavia. Could be a good chance of Mid -summers Day ski-ing in some places up there this year !

Glencoe is planning to open on Midsummer's day for skiing this year. It is not unusual though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Mostly cool but sometimes surprisingly warm and springlike in the sunshine.

post-22381-0-38185800-1431905977_thumb.j

Edited by Woollymummy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Has to be one of the most unexciting May's I think I've ever experienced to be quite honest. This time last year we had seen or were seeing some terrific storms over Wales and the West Country, I've still yet to experience a proper storm yet or observe lightning! Pretty terrible, especially in my area where we are quite prone to home grown storms. 

The temperatures don't even bare thinking about. Barely reached 20c all month which is well and truly shocking for this time of year. Hard to believe the solstice is only in a months time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

This is turning into  very forgettable month with very little interest weatherwise. It did look like a slam dunk below average month was on the cards, but with the models bring the Azores high close to the UK, we could end up near average temperature wise. Any convective potential looks limited to the first half of this week with very little beyond this point.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Glencoe is planning to open on Midsummer's day for skiing this year. It is not unusual though.

That's great news for snow freaks. Talk is about some unusual low sea temps between Greenland and Scotland, maybe the cause of your delayed growing season up there. My daughter who lives some of her time in Sweden reports also of cold and the vegetation still bare.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I think it's been pretty pleasant to be honest. It's been how I always think of May - warmer days, light evenings with the occasional rainy day thrown in. Down sarf at least.

I did chuckle at the typical hysterics of a few posters already writing off the summer for both heat and storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

That's great news for snow freaks. Talk is about some unusual low sea temps between Greenland and Scotland, maybe the cause of your delayed growing season up there. My daughter who lives some of her time in Sweden reports also of cold and the vegetation still bare.

C

More new snow on the hills again today. Here nearer the East coast May hasn't been too bad. Breezy and coolish but apart from 2 very wet days in the first week it has mostly been showers.

Cold and wet this morning though. The sun has broken through just recently but the temp is still under 8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I did chuckle at the typical hysterics of a few posters already writing off the summer for both heat and storms.

That's the trouble with this forum these days..its has become so skewed that unless there is endless cold and snow in winter or heat and storms in summer then everything else is just horrible disgusting weather. In fact I would go so far to say that spring and autumn no longer no exist too many on here winter seems to last from October to April and summer from May to September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

And some input from the continent.. Also mostly cool although certainly better than the UK in general. We've had two 25c+ days and maybe 60% of days reach around average (19c) with the odd warmer one but quite a few cooler ones. Saturday was wet and barely made it to 14c, Sunday little better but today is 21c & sunny. 

Rain isn't very common here compared to the UK - its just the cold wind that has made this month much less summery than last year.

But I think the main issue has been that all the best weather has tended to focus on working days (both 25c+ days were a Tuesday) and the worst has fallen at weekends or on the holidays. It sure makes it seem worse when it works that way round!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

12'C max here yesterday .. today 6'C at 1 pm .. weather from Greenland sure is cool :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

And some input from the continent.. Also mostly cool although certainly better than the UK in general. We've had two 25c+ days and maybe 60% of days reach around average (19c) with the odd warmer one but quite a few cooler ones. Saturday was wet and barely made it to 14c, Sunday little better but today is 21c & sunny. 

Rain isn't very common here compared to the UK - its just the cold wind that has made this month much less summery than last year.

But I think the main issue has been that all the best weather has tended to focus on working days (both 25c+ days were a Tuesday) and the worst has fallen at weekends or on the holidays. It sure makes it seem worse when it works that way round!

The Berlin climate averages seem to suggest Berlin doesn't have much different rainfall totals to

Many central and eastern parts of England. Only Berlins location in the continent allows it to enjoy some drier and warmer air in summer and colder air in winter IMO?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The Berlin climate averages seem to suggest Berlin doesn't have much different rainfall totals to

Many central and eastern parts of England. Only Berlins location in the continent allows it to enjoy some drier and warmer air in summer and colder air in winter IMO?

It's far drier in winter but we make up for it during summer from storms - most (although certainly not all) rain falls in summer. Atlantic fronts either don't make it here or are greatly reduced in power so those days where it just rains all day seem a lot rarer. 

We possibly fare similarly to the drier parts of Eastern England perhaps but compared to summers in back home Nottingham.. well no contest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Berlin is much the same as London really - very little difference between the two cities - except Berlin is a little drier.

Compare Berlin to Leeds - Berlin is about 2C warmer in the Jun-August period and sunnier, but it's duller in the winter - very much so actually. Berlin gets about 37  hours of sun in December on average which strikes me as exceptionally dull, and considering that winters in Berlin are only borderline cold, it means most of the time it won't be snowy - it actually has a high incidence of rain days despite the low amount which indicates a lot of drizzle to me.

The things that make Berlin better than Eastern England in general are - a) more prone to heatwaves, less prone to cool weather in summer, and b) more thunderstorms in general. Also less prone to low cloud but go to places like Hamburg and it's a different story.

Edited by cheese

Posted

It's been a very poor May here so far. Usually when May disappoints it's due to the chilly temperatures (especially at night) which can still crop up in late spring rather than excessive amounts of wind and rain - such days have been the best days this month, days when the sun has been out but the temperatures suppressed and an annoying cold wind usually present. The worst days have been reminiscent of autumn with frontal, long-lasting rain. I don't recall a May which has brought such vile conditions on such a common basis.

At least the outlook for the weekend and beyond is looking better. We may actually get near 20C at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

It's been a very poor May here so far. Usually when May disappoints it's due to the chilly temperatures (especially at night) which can still crop up in late spring rather than excessive amounts of wind and rain - such days have been the best days this month, days when the sun has been out but the temperatures suppressed and an annoying cold wind usually present. The worst days have been reminiscent of autumn with frontal, long-lasting rain. I don't recall a May which has brought such vile conditions on such a common basis.

At least the outlook for the weekend and beyond is looking better. We may actually get near 20C at some point.

the outlook to me for whit week is looking dry with a cold wind, will be cloudy mostly I feel with high pressure to our west, cannot see 20C for NW England going off GFS 12Z

Edited by Ilovethesnow