Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is May 2015 so far...

Posted

The first 2 weeks of May here have been pretty woeful. Not one day has reached the May average of 15c. 

Most days have been 11c / 12c, so consistantly 2-3c below average for early May. Now we are heading to the second half of the month, and temperatures for the next week predicted to be 10-11c each day, the month will start running at 4-5c below average for each day. 

If things don't improve then this May could end up around 3-4c below average here. Rainfall is already at 100% and sunshine levels are running at about 50% of normal. 

First half of May can sometimes be cool, even last year and 2012 particularly, but this year looks different and it looks like the month could well see out the well below average temperatures.

Cant think of many Mays colder than this one so far, what are the real shockers?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Hopefully a late-month warm spell can salvage things like in 2012. We have yet to officially reach 20C. No May has failed to reach 20C here. Even the truly abysmal and disastrous May of 1996 reached 24C late in the month - albeit for one day only ,and that was the only day to reach 20C at all.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

may is usually more winter than summer, people expect too much from May, typically an unsettled month with a lot of easterly winds

Posted

Truly heinous month so far aside from Monday/Tuesday which were ok (but still had 30mph+ gusts of wind all day), ALL the other days have been either poor or dreadful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

May has in recent times been a good month for warm lovers for most years except the odd ones but there have been plenty poor ones in the 80s and 90s,either very wet or cold,windy or all !I seem to recall the old saying 'A cold wet may and a barn full of hay' beint true on several occasions!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Over here its been on the poor side of average but not really bad so far. Sunday to Wednesday this week was quite decent and we reached 20c on Monday which felt lovely. Rainfall hasnt been all that high either. However there have been quite a few disappointing days so far when i would have expected more warm feeling days given the time of year.

Posted

May has in recent times been a good month for warm lovers for most years except the odd ones but there have been plenty poor ones in the 80s and 90s,either very wet or cold,windy or all !I seem to recall the old saying 'A cold wet may and a barn full of hay' beint true on several occasions!!

Lovely month so far(set to continue) some sun and rain and the garden is bursting into life, seems good to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It's not been to bad here, some decent sunny days even if not very warm and not too much in the way of rain. Looking like a north south split so far?

Posted

Truly heinous month so far aside from Monday/Tuesday which were ok (but still had 30mph+ gusts of wind all day), ALL the other days have been either poor or dreadful.

close run thing between you and our Aberdeen correspondent to give the most pessimistic run down on the weather in your two areas. Mind you both Shawbury and Aberdeen are hardly near the top of the sunshine tables this month, today was not bad in either place, see link below.  Not that many places seem to have had much this month.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=sonne&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1431637200&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=0

Posted

Doesn't matter what time of the year it is.. if you get strong winds coming form a NW direction  its going to be cold  even in  mid summer.May as been on the cold side. But you rarely get a  warm May anyway.

Yesterday was a decent spring day and tomorrow looks  fine.. I think some are looking for an heatwave in May.. we don't get them in May that often.. Only positive I can give is its been a  fairly dry Month.. At least the air mass is settled. Its horrible when  we start off Summer on a wet note. takes  along while for  it to dry up.. Just need to cut off the cold air mass from the north west and  hopefully tempetures will start to rise..

No one knows what the summer will bring. You can have countless  charts and long range forecasts..Just take the Met office  2 years ago they predicted we would have 10 wet summers in a row.. the last 2 have been   dry. They also said it would be likely we had  tempetures above average  this year..

September is warmer than May anyway. due to the facts  the sea temps are higher. You cant judge  ahead because may as been on the cold side.. Take March for instance. that was on the cold side. yet we had a decent April..

• Like 2

Posted

I think its been incredibly benign. The odd nice day here and there, but some days more reminiscent of late November.

Posted

I guess here in the SE we haven't had such a bad month (although yesterday was dreadful all round).  A bit cooler than average with some windy days but on the whole a typical mix.  Certainly nothing like as bad as the first half of May 2012.

Posted

Agree its been poor so far here in the Lake District, and the outlook for the foreseeable is for more of the same. However, its not be a shocker, yes we have had quite a bit of rain and limited sunshine, but we've had no real cold days or very wet days. Its been the consistently low temperatures that have been notable under a cold wind. The sun makes a major difference in May, a sunny day can boost temps easily into the high teens even if uppers aren't that great, but a cloudy day under a cool airmass can deliver temps that would be respectable in October and even November.

I disagree with the statement May isn't renowned for warm temps and is generally an unsettled one. Here it is one of the driest months of the year on average, and can produce notable warmth especially towards the end, but like April it is a very fickle month and can change markedly in short periods.

I love May its my favourite month and I always look forward to the latter 10 days or so, with summer on the way. 2012 was good, the first 3 weeks poor but a great 10 days at the end.

For a cold May 1996 was very disappointing, only at the tail end did we hit 20 degree +, many a day failed to hit double digit maxima, we are certainly not in May 96 territory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's been around average sunshine wise, dry and cool. But looking at the models this evening, it could well change come Wednesday! Which is exciting :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes, May is a very changeable and often unsettled month, which is something I quite like about the month. It's what contributes to the spike in rainfall and average number of thunder days in my location. I like the month's variety before spells that last longer tend to set in in June and July. I have noticed however that in recent years May has brought more in the way of autumnal unsettled weather than springlike unsettled weather.

I would say May 2015 is in the middle in this location. 2002, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014 were all wetter up to this point. 2006 was also very wet in the second half from Atlantic weather, rather than the thundery first half. The problem this month has been lack of sunshine and the rather blandness of weather. At least 20C has actually been reached twice here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Well I'm enjoying it. It's nice and cool. :)

Not too bad so far although have to agree the maximums have not been high. Some decent sun, and apart from on Thursday this week most of the persistent rain has fallen at night. One thunder day and 50mph gusts last week have stopped it being too boring.

The outlook doesn't look great either.. I bet it warms up and settles down though from the 27th when I'm out of the uk (like it did last year when I was abroad from 13th to 19th) lol

Posted
Vile month so far and looks like replacing last May as the worst of the century to date. The few decent days have felt like March, the majority of days like October and the worst days as grim as November.

Rainfall is almost at the monthly average already and more than half of the sunshine will have been before 10am. As is always the case at the time of year with Pm air, skies fill with cloud during the morning to ruin what should be the best part of the day :wallbash:

So far all but 4 days have been at least 2C colder than the average of 13.6C and and the nasty cold winds that never seem to let up any more are making the dire temperatures feel even worse. I've also recorded the two coldest May temperatures in at least 10 years: -1.4C on the 2nd and -1.9C last Friday but my lowest May max of just 6.3C on 17th May 2012 is safe for now despite a good effort to beat it being put up on Sunday 3rd :bad:

Still the glorious spell of May 2012 came out of nowhere - it coincided with my first UK holiday in nearly 5 years and right up until a couple of days before I left the models were suggesting a continuation of the garbage that had prevailed for the previous 6 weeks. So May 2015 may yet prove not to be a write-off month but it is certainly looking that way at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted

Not impressed so far. Lack of warm days have been really noticeable (the only ones to top 15C were totally ruined by wind) and its been consistently unsettled without being a total washout.

The main thing though has been the wind. It does not seem normal at all for May, which is usually a calm month albeit with the potential for different airmasses. This month it has been constantly windy, from an annoying breeze at times to really howling, and it has never been from any direction other than between NW and SW. May is supposed to be the least westerly month, nobody told May 2015.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Has been reasonably warm and dry on my return from the UK but not a lot of sunshine. Snow now retreating to higher levels. Have noticed the persistent low temperatures this month over a large part of Northern Europe from Scotland across to much of Scandinavia. Could be a good chance of Mid -summers Day ski-ing in some places up there this year !

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted

So far May hasn't been too bad, albeit rather cool at times. We've had a couple of dire days, but the rest of the time it's been OK, and generally a lot better than forecast.

Strikingly, the hawthorn, or mayflower, is still not out properly here, a true sign of the cooler conditions.

Posted

This May has been lovely I see Richard complaining per usual :)

It has been a very sunny pleasant month; no real heat to speak of. I hope it remains this way.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think this May has been bad at all so far, just pretty average really.

• Like 1