Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

Another daft EU law, Banning memes.... Glad were leaving 

A new copyright law from the European Union would lead to the banning of memes on the internet, campaigners are warning.

The EU Copyright Directive intends to protect the intellectual property rights of people who upload their material to the internet.

However, campaigners are warning the law will require "all content uploaded to the internet to be monitored and potentially deleted if a likeness to existing copyright is protected".

https://news.sky.com/story/memes-will-be-banned-under-new-eu-copyright-law-warn-campaigners-11398577

25 minutes ago, kent said:

I do find this sort of comment to be derisive.  Our forces fought to free Europe of military domination by Germany only to find that now Europe is still dominated by Germany only this time economically.

All remainers posts are constantly hell bent on criticising the UK for its failings and in fighting amongst Governments, [of which I admit are plenty]  but never critical of the EU with the name calling and back stabbing that's happening there.  Why is that?  

The bank of Italys debts are now at a record high of 465 billion Euros owed to the Eurozone area and will soon become unsustainable.  Money from Italy is pouring out at present and to some extent Europe in general as markets are spooked over the EUs mounting problems.  How much longer will these debt ridden countries be bailed out by their economic masters Germany where the Euro is constantly referred to as the German mark.

After Barniers remarks today in yet another refusal of the Irish border fiasco its time now to walk away because its always been their intention to use it as a weapon to force us into remaining locked into some kind of customs deal to prevent us from trading elsewhere. Trading with the rest of the world where they are terrified of us making a success from it.

I listened to Barniers speech today and twice when referring to the Irish border he said quote " OUR BORDER and OUR territory"  If ever their true intentions of owning us lock stock and barrel was ever in doubt then the rhetoric was there.

Walk away now and if the useless remainer Theresa the appeaser cant do the job then get someone in who will.

Good Afternoon Kent

On this lunchtime's Daily Politics Show the arch Brexiter Peter Bone was saying much the same as you have indicated in the last two paragraphs of your posting which I have quoted above.

Would you please clarify for me whether you mean walking away now rather than wait for any transitional period to expire and to adhere to WTO rules.

If we leave immediately would it not cause untold hardship with supermarkets empty and other problems such as supply chain provision grinding to a halt.

Kind Regards

Dave

3 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep...

- and the extra  10% of the additional tariffs goes straight into the coffers of Brussels?

It does not go into the pockets of the UK person buying it.!!!

In fact they pay the additional tariff. It may be as much as 20%, I have not bothered to look!

Do you really believe that we could not  get electrical goods more cheaply if we were outside the EU?

The tariffs were set up by the EU, in the old days to protect mainly the French and German major suppliers  (our own Ferguson as well), but it failed to stop the imports of the Chinese much lower costing items.  That is the folly of the EU trade policy.

No one is telling porkies. I have taken the position that we cannot match/compete  outside manufacturers.

Your post merely confirms my position.

MIA

Maybe so. But they're still better value than any overpriced British-made rubbish! So what, pray, do you think we are going to sell to those 'hundreds of non-EU countries that are allegedly queuing-up to purchase what we make' eh? Are we going to discount it all by 10% and hope for the best? Or will we send in our ex-SAS Brexit Bulldog, David Davis, to teach them a lesson?

Second thoughts - maybe best you don't answer that?

19 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

oh i didn't count your posts somebody else did.. im too lazy for that..you obviously missed that thread..and of course i have a life and friends because i don't spend 24/7 in here like some.. but thanks for your concern its duly noted.:drunk-emoji:

In that case somebody else needs to get out more!:rofl:

25 minutes ago, kent said:

I do find this sort of comment to be derisive.  Our forces fought to free Europe of military domination by Germany only to find that now Europe is still dominated by Germany only this time economically.

All remainers posts are constantly hell bent on criticising the UK for its failings and in fighting amongst Governments, [of which I admit are plenty]  but never critical of the EU with the name calling and back stabbing that's happening there.  Why is that?  

The bank of Italys debts are now at a record high of 465 billion Euros owed to the Eurozone area and will soon become unsustainable.  Money from Italy is pouring out at present and to some extent Europe in general as markets are spooked over the EUs mounting problems.  How much longer will these debt ridden countries be bailed out by their economic masters Germany where the Euro is constantly referred to as the German mark.

After Barniers remarks today in yet another refusal of the Irish border fiasco its time now to walk away because its always been their intention to use it as a weapon to force us into remaining locked into some kind of customs deal to prevent us from trading elsewhere. Trading with the rest of the world where they are terrified of us making a success from it.

I listened to Barniers speech today and twice when referring to the Irish border he said quote " OUR BORDER and OUR territory"  If ever their true intentions of owning us lock stock and barrel was ever in doubt then the rhetoric was there.

Walk away now and if the useless remainer Theresa the appeaser cant do the job then get someone in who will.

Kent, our forces fought to free Europe of the Nazi tyranny, which although for quite a while was supported by a good many of the German public, it was not all of them - there was a resistance movement in Germany to the Nazis, I believe called the White Rose. 

By the time the war was coming to its close many of the ordinary Germans welcomed the allied forces as liberators, they were sick of the war and Hitlers' failed promises. 

Now the Germans are a completely different generation and we cannot visit the sins of the now grandfathers on their grandchildren. 

There appears to be a lot of resentment on the leave side that Germany has made great strides as a country since the war and this involved a lot of hard work and hardship. Why we should resent Germany, I don't know - had we got our ass into gear, nose to the grindstone and been more prepared to accept good ideas from others we could have done the same, or has it been, perhaps, that our own arrogance is our Achilles heel.

However, they started this with a more or less clean sheet which enabled them to start again, take note of where they had gone wrong in the past and where we were still going wrong.

They paid attention to the education of the technicians and suchlike who would rebuild their industries, whereas we concentrated more on the accountants.

As a result they built up a good manufacturing bases with products sought after the world over, only recently coming to grief through the diesel engine saga. I doubt they will do that again.

As far as Barnier is concerned, he is right - if a hard border is established across the island of Ireland, it not only becomes a border between north and south Ireland but also a border between the UK and the EU, with the republic still being in the EU as part of the EU, so it can be regarded as EU territory just as the UK is today. It does not mean that the EU physically occupies it, which seems to be the message you are trying to put over because each state within the EU is an independent state with its own sovereignty, so there are no jack boots, there is no USSREU. All that is malici0ous exaggeration put about by the leavers for the consumption of those they believe don't know any better.

Part of being an independent sovereign state within the EU is that each state has had its own control over its economic situation. Some have had made a success of it, mainly the northern states, most of the former Soviet bloc states now within the EU are making a pretty good job of catching up. Some who were in dire circumstances a few years ago to the extent they needed bailouts are improving their economic outlook, in particular Ireland and Spain with others, such as Greece and Italy needing more work and fiscal discipline. 

In the case of both Italy and Greece there has been a tradition of tax avoidance whilst their respective governments have tried to spend their way out of the problems which was unsustainable. 

In a number of respects Italy should be a reasonable prosperous country with a flourishing car and motorcycle industry but so much has been syphoned off to the likes of the mafia, still a big problem, and others.

The last time I was in Athens a number of years ago there was no shortage of valuable yachts in Piraeus Port, nor in Rhodes Harbour a few years later.

But is as all of us remainers have been saying, the EU is not perfect, it needs work and also the assistance of our more competent governments, when one returns, to help steer it's reform and without the madness of this brexit we would still have been in that position.  

WHO is that bloke from Stoke whos only comments are to wind people up?

Gravesdug  or something like that. Great name though for an EU follower.

14 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Kent, our forces fought to free Europe of the Nazi tyranny, which although for quite a while was supported by a good many of the German public, it was not all of them - there was a resistance movement in Germany to the Nazis, I believe called the White Rose. 

By the time the war was coming to its close many of the ordinary Germans welcomed the allied forces as liberators, they were sick of the war and Hitlers' failed promises. 

Now the Germans are a completely different generation and we cannot visit the sins of the now grandfathers on their grandchildren. 

There appears to be a lot of resentment on the leave side that Germany has made great strides as a country since the war and this involved a lot of hard work and hardship. Why we should resent Germany, I don't know - had we got our ass into gear, nose to the grindstone and been more prepared to accept good ideas from others we could have done the same, or has it been, perhaps, that our own arrogance is our Achilles heel.

However, they started this with a more or less clean sheet which enabled them to start again, take note of where they had gone wrong in the past and where we were still going wrong.

They paid attention to the education of the technicians and suchlike who would rebuild their industries, whereas we concentrated more on the accountants.

As a result they built up a good manufacturing bases with products sought after the world over, only recently coming to grief through the diesel engine saga. I doubt they will do that again.

As far as Barnier is concerned, he is right - if a hard border is established across the island of Ireland, it not only becomes a border between north and south Ireland but also a border between the UK and the EU, with the republic still being in the EU as part of the EU, so it can be regarded as EU territory just as the UK is today. It does not mean that the EU physically occupies it, which seems to be the message you are trying to put over because each state within the EU is an independent state with its own sovereignty, so there are no jack boots, there is no USSREU. All that is malici0ous exaggeration put about by the leavers for the consumption of those they believe don't know any better.

Part of being an independent sovereign state within the EU is that each state has had its own control over its economic situation. Some have had made a success of it, mainly the northern states, most of the former Soviet bloc states now within the EU are making a pretty good job of catching up. Some who were in dire circumstances a few years ago to the extent they needed bailouts are improving their economic outlook, in particular Ireland and Spain with others, such as Greece and Italy needing more work and fiscal discipline. 

In the case of both Italy and Greece there has been a tradition of tax avoidance whilst their respective governments have tried to spend their way out of the problems which was unsustainable. 

In a number of respects Italy should be a reasonable prosperous country with a flourishing car and motorcycle industry but so much has been syphoned off to the likes of the mafia, still a big problem, and others.

The last time I was in Athens a number of years ago there was no shortage of valuable yachts in Piraeus Port, nor in Rhodes Harbour a few years later.

But is as all of us remainers have been saying, the EU is not perfect, it needs work and also the assistance of our more competent governments, when one returns, to help steer it's reform and without the madness of this brexit we would still have been in that position.  

The trouble with Germany is they are hamstrung by their past..forever apologizing for their past sins and are burdened with guilt..there own veterans what few are left are ostracized and not allowed to where their medals of whom the vast majority were just young soldiers just like ours, who didn't fight for an ideology but for their friends and families like all soldiers do...the whole of Europe is now paying for Germany's guilt and their need to repent at all cost.

18 minutes ago, kent said:

You would have got a laughing emoji but since someone on here became all offended by people using this emoji, alas........

I admire your tenacity on this thread, I've got the English hater's on ignore and only see posts which are quoted and there aren't half some raw nerves being hit north of the border recently, lol.

33 minutes ago, kent said:

Not to mention the Fool from Poole?:D

6 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

The trouble with Germany is they are hamstrung by their past..forever apologizing for their past sins and are burdened with guilt..there own veterans what few are left are ostracized and not allowed to where their medals of whom the vast majority were just young soldiers just like ours, who didn't fight for an ideology but for their friends and families like all soldiers do...the whole of Europe is now paying for Germany's guilt and their need to repent at all cost.

They are getting over it though CM - it's a hell of thing to live with when you realise that your country was responsible for the murder of 6 million Jews with some other on top. 

Our history has not been as pure as the driven snow - approx 3000 prisoners had their throats cut outside the castle at Accra by the Norman/English - many atrocities committed during the Crusades.

Three thousand chevaliers who were prisoners after the Battle of Azincourt also had their throats cut - in both cases there were military reasons for these  actions.

The basis or origin of British fortunes kicked off during the trans Atlantic slave trade.

Fighting the Boxer wars in China to preserve our rights as drug dealers.

Concentration camps originated by the Brits during the Boer war.

Other continental countries have not fared much better in this respect. The histories of us all are soaked in blood. That is the reason why the forerunner of the EU came into existence, to put an end to all that sort of thing, yet some of the brexiteers would like to see that dismantled and risk going back to an era of different states with nationalistic ambitions which one day could boil over and start the conflagration again.

But keep the EU and we will all get over it - it takes time to get it out of the system - in the meantime we have to be patient, tolerant and look for what unites us rather than that which divides.    

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

I haven't seen what Barnier said, but the N. Irish border will be the EU's border / the edge of EU territory post-brexit. Unless N. Ireland rejoins Ireland or at least stays in the EU.

That aside, remember N. Ireland doesn't belong to the UK. It's called northern Ireland for reason. It's a bit of Ireland that the UK occupies when it shouldn't.

We have an international peace agreement to address that now thankfully. A key part of that agreement is for reunification when the times comes / the people there want it.

What happens to N. Ireland is a question for the people of the Island of Ireland, on either side of the border, alone.

It's not up to the English Tories and Theresa May.

You can 'walk away' if you like, but you walk away from N. Ireland. 

However, if England wants to keep N. Ireland as part of the UK, it will need to find a solution that keeps the N. Irish people happy. As it stands, they're a few votes from unification and in a year or two simple demographics alone will achieve that. So maybe it's not worth it.

In the meantime, if England wants to not be an international pariah and break a UN peace deal, it needs to find a solution that keeps Ireland happy too. 

Isn't that for the people of Northern Ireland to decide and NOT Brussels or yourself?

MIA

12 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Isn't that for the people of Northern Ireland to decide and NOT Brussels or yourself?

MIA

Can you read English?

All the migrants I know have a much better grasp than yourself.

2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

What happens to N. Ireland is a question for the people of the Island of Ireland, on either side of the border, alone.

The border is an artificial one which has horrific caused division and bloodshed.

While people celebrated the fall of the Iron curtain and berlin wall, Britain still has its own Belfast walls, dividing the ancient nation of Ireland. 

We have a peace agreement in place between the peoples of the Island. It's not for May's English nationalists to trash that in any way.

If it's a problem for brexit, England can just go independent.

Edited by scottish skier

1 hour ago, mike Meehan said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/971227/english-identity-bbc-englishness-culture

Extract from this article are as follows:

When we English get to define our own qualities, the ones we come upup with are rather different.

Sense of humour comes top (80 per cent); then traditional (77 per cent); good manners (74 per cent); sense of fair play (72 per cent); friendliness (65 per cent); stiff upper lip and tolerance also come in at 65 per cent.

All this seems about right.

We like a joke and the pomp and ceremony of state occasions; good manners; we can’t abide a cheat.

As for tolerance, well, this is clearly not just a case of virtue-signallers telling the survey what it would like to hear.

Then it goes on to say:

Most of us see Englishness as a cultural quality, quite divorced from ethnicity or religion.

“If you’ve lived here long enough to imbibe our values and share them, then you’re one of us,” the message seems to be.

This is something the bitter Remoaners have failed to grasp.

Their line on the ordinary English people who voted for Brexit is that they were bigots motivated by racism.

Indeed, the Remoaners find the whole concept of Englishness outmoded and embarrassing.

I agree with the first highlighted versions, starting 'Sense of humour', though as a remainer I am seeing little tolerance from the leavers but in normal times apart from that we are pretty tolerant.

The part which really caught my attention was,  we can’t abide a cheat.

Speaking for myself it is right I cannot abide a cheat at all, but what about, Farage, Johnson, Gove etc who lied through their back teeth I the referendum - what about the stories printed in an almost daily basis by this paper, The Daily Express, The Daily Mail and others - I am quite surprised that the writer James Delingpole was not struck by lightning as he wrote this.

And after the mention of tolerance he dives straight in to a diatribe against remainers, describing us as bitter Remoaners describing those who voted for brexit as bigots motivated by racism. 

So in one foul sweep he has labelled everybody who supports remain with one brush.

This is not the case at all - let's be clear about this, yes, there are some who are racist and bigoted - this has been proved by the sudden increase in hate crimes against EU nationals but it has never been the practise of remainers to label people as bigoted racists  just because they happened to vote leave.

If anything the remainers possess the attributes of, Sense of humour comes top (80 per cent); then traditional (77 per cent); good manners (74 per cent); sense of fair play (72 per cent); friendliness (65 per cent); stiff upper lip and tolerance also come in at 65 per cent.

These are the very virtues which are admired in the English and the European character, which I have often been a recipient of when travelling abroad. 

What the writer of that article fails to grasp is that it is quite possible to be both a good Englishman and a good European - it is not one or the other, as much as he would like to portray that view. 

All that article succeeds in doing is sowing the seeds of antagonism and splitting our two sides even further apart which the less critical will take at face value and believe, thus causing further embarrassment to our county. 

True as it goes, I was brought up British, and thought that would be, what I always would be, but now it looks like I will end up just English. I tend to tick white British, in those questionairs that ask that question. So may be I'll be losing two identities in this brexit mess,

Edited by alexisj9

This thread is locked for the time being, info here: