Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Though I don't see any reason why those in full-time employment should not earn a decent living (as was the case throughout much of the '50s, '60s and '70s) I cannot excuse the current government's penchant for imposing excessive rates on businesses...

The business community ultimately depends on the spending power us proles, for its very existence; but it certainly doesn't need a gratuitous kick-in-the-teeth from a so-called 'business-friendly' government.

Sometimes economic policies simply don't make sense!:fool:

We have had a increase in business rates of over 800% since 2010 at the company i work for. And what do we get for this taxation? Nothing. Yes a increase i agree,but 800%. This is happening all over the country,the life blood(cash flow) being sucked out of the economy. Hence low growth. Its not rocket science,barriers need to be brought down,not put up. Then those who wish to graft,earn the reward they deserve.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Humiliation for May and her remain coup 

 

That's about as stupid as triggering article 50, thereby setting a time limit without the faintest idea of what you are going to do. 

It looks as though they are doing this to pacify the head bangers on the right who don't really give a damn so long as their hate complex with the EU is satisfied. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

That's about as stupid as triggering article 50, thereby setting a time limit without the faintest idea of what you are going to do. 

It looks as though they are doing this to pacify the head bangers on the right who don't really give a damn so long as their hate complex with the EU is satisfied. 

Shes spent too long pacifying  the traitorous Eurozombies on the remain side which has caused all this without which it would have been much further advanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

 

More desperate nonsense from May.

Theres no chance customs arrangements will be ready by the end of December 2020 so the backstop is going to happen. The EU won’t allow the UK to have the benefits of the customs union post that date without paying for it and the backstop needs to include alignment which is the bigger factor for checks at the border .

The technology isn’t even there yet even if they went with Max Fac. 

The whole things a shambles and May just limps along kicking the hard decisions into the long grass .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wings Over Scotland Retweeted

Nick Eardley✔@nickeardleybbc

I'm now 99% sure UK government will go ahead with devolution elements of Withdrawal Bill without Holyrood backing. UK gov't source says they will get on with setting up frameworks. Denies it'll be a crisis and says things will happen "as constitution provides for"

Me: is that right? Aye! That'll be right!

See you in Court.

 

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kent said:

Shes spent too long pacifying  the traitorous Eurozombies on the remain side which has caused all this without which it would have been much further advanced.

The reason it’s not advanced is triggering article 50 before a plan. As for traitorous you mean people that aren’t willing to drive the UK over a cliff . That type of rhetoric is insulting , and sums up your posts which are fast descending into unhinged territory .

Stop blaming Remainers for the mess , you voted for it so own it !

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Just reading the backstop proposal and it’s clear regardless of the desperate spin by some Leave politicians that David Davis has not claimed some great victory .

As I said earlier check the small print.

The time limited nature isn’t legally binding and would be superceded anyway if anything was put forward that impinged on the governments commitments to no hard border .

All this time and money wasted Nick trying to put lipstick on a pig, when we have so many domestic problems - NHS, Crime rate, particularly violent going through the roof, the necessity for food banks - the situation is more akin to a third world country than what is supposed to be one of the richer countries in the world.

They should put a stop to following this will o' the wisp and instead concentrate on these domestic problems which really are getting urgent - at the rate we are going we are going top a 100 or more young lives being lost through gang violence, this year.

Each day you pick up the paper there is a report of some atrocious crime being committed. 

Just seen a article written by one of my ex -colleagues, not violent this time but in a close down by the south coast the thieves developed a system of keying into the security code of a car key in the house, making a copy on a duplicate, unlocking the car and stealing any valuables inside.

There were about 4 cars done on the same night - the police were informed and they were told that nothing could be done - my ex- colleague started his own enquiries and found that at one of the houses there were good quality likenesses of the villains captured - he notified the police and still they could not do anything, the excuse being the lack of money and resources. 

OK, so it is low level on the list of priorities but if left unchecked they escalate and small time villains become big time villains with the end result of the public suffering even more. 

From a little acorn a bloody great oak tree grows.  

Toe rags are strange breed and may appear thick but when it comes to being able to get away with things they are quicker than Usain Bolt. The lack of police activity only encourages them - the victims don't necessarily report the cime, thinking that it would be a waste of time, meanwhile in reality the crime figures soar but the stats show no appreciable increase, so when it comes round to increasing the budget the police and the public are shot in the foot. 

However this is unlikely to affect Theresa May and other senior ministers because they have an armed police guard 24/7.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The reason it’s not advanced is triggering article 50 before a plan. As for traitorous you mean people that aren’t willing to drive the UK over a cliff . That type of rhetoric is insulting , and sums up your posts which are fast descending into unhinged territory .

Stop blaming Remainers for the mess , you voted for it so own it !

Actually he isn' wrong  what I can' understand is how poll after poll showed the main reason for people voting leave was because of immigration  yet not only have we mps trying to overturn the decision we also have mps trying to force us to stay in the customs union there reasoning? Because we didn' vote for what type of deal  we wanted   hello yes we did people voted to stop immigration  thus no customs union which would allow free movement and immigration   now the unhinged on the other side constantly go on about democracy and foul play  yet  there constant trying to push through the customs union is classed as fair game   thankfully some people are not falling for it   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The reason it’s not advanced is triggering article 50 before a plan. As for traitorous you mean people that aren’t willing to drive the UK over a cliff . That type of rhetoric is insulting , and sums up your posts which are fast descending into unhinged territory .

Stop blaming Remainers for the mess , you voted for it so own it !

So its ok to use rhetoric such as head bangers with a hate complex. Equally insulting and theres been far worse. Brexit means Brexit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kent said:

Shes spent too long pacifying  the traitorous Eurozombies on the remain side which has caused all this without which it would have been much further advanced.

Kent you should really stop and think before writing such rubbish - your hatred of the EU is as clear as a bell and apart from you don't like 'em and you are an avid follower of urban myth you have not produced anything which gives a coherent reason for your views. 

On the other hand I would argue that it is the leavers who are the traitors by trying to leave our friends I the lurch. 

Zombies indeed, they are the devotees of the urban myth and lies which have been spread around - if you check on the remain posts on this site it becomes apparent that the remainers know pretty well what they are talking about and usually back up what they say with evidence.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Actually he isn' wrong  what I can' understand is how poll after poll showed the main reason for people voting leave was because of immigration  yet not only have we mps trying to overturn the decision we also have mps trying to force us to stay in the customs union there reasoning? Because we didn' vote for what type of deal  we wanted   hello yes we did people voted to stop immigration  thus no customs union which would allow free movement and immigration   now the unhinged on the other side constantly go on about democracy and foul play  yet  there constant trying to push through the customs union is classed as fair game   thankfully some people are not falling for it   

No one cares about the customs union. Before the vote most of the public had never heard of it .  If asked would they be happy with the old common market I’m sure most Leavers would say yes fine .

Leaving the political structures and going back to the economic side only with some restrictions on freedom of movement I’m sure would win Leavers over.

Unfortunately May dug a hole , the myths surrounding Efta/EEA have grown when Brexit didn’t need to be this complicated .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Actually he isn' wrong  what I can' understand is how poll after poll showed the main reason for people voting leave was because of immigration  yet not only have we mps trying to overturn the decision we also have mps trying to force us to stay in the customs union there reasoning? Because we didn' vote for what type of deal  we wanted   hello yes we did people voted to stop immigration  thus no customs union which would allow free movement and immigration   now the unhinged on the other side constantly go on about democracy and foul play  yet  there constant trying to push through the customs union is classed as fair game   thankfully some people are not falling for it   

Yes WP, see my earlier post on this subject about immigration - within the EU regs were the means to control this a lot more than we did - it was our own government's failing to do this and as a result the figures were higher than what they should have been. 

The tory government is using the result of the referendum as a means of keeping themselves in power and enriching themselves and their chums into the bargain, whilst Mr & Mrs Joe Public are the fall guys - when are you ever going to realise that?

The leavers keep talking about a corrupt EU, they will have to go some to catch up with a corrupt Whitehall. 

As has been reported a number of times already the nett number of EU nationals in our country are falling, less are coming and more are leaving, so as a result of that the main reason why people voted leave is not longer there, problem solved. 

That being the case, why are we still going head first in self destruction mode? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

Kent you should really stop and think before writing such rubbish - your hatred of the EU is as clear as a bell and apart from you don't like 'em and you are an avid follower of urban myth you have not produced anything which gives a coherent reason for your views. 

On the other hand I would argue that it is the leavers who are the traitors by trying to leave our friends I the lurch. 

Zombies indeed, they are the devotees of the urban myth and lies which have been spread around - if you check on the remain posts on this site it becomes apparent that the remainers know pretty well what they are talking about and usually back up what they say with evidence.

Absolute garbage. Ive often posted about the stupidity of staying in a failing bloc where our trade deficit grows every year and the only profit we make with the EU is in services.

Where 80% of our economy is through services which will soon be negligible with the EU.

Do you realise that the value of the UKs exports to the rest of the world is 16 times greater than what we send to the EU.

Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Oh dear

 

 

Good God, that picture reminds me of something Mike Meehan said...Something about trying to stick a pig onto some lipstick, I think it was!💄🐷

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grim Cameron's mate to be new daily mail editor

 

Geordie Greig, a big Remainer who has turned the Mail on Sunday into a pretty hardcore anti-Brexit paper, is the new editor of the Daily Mail. Major implications for the Tories and the paper’s coverage of leaving the EU. Daily Mail readers might be a little confused at the change in direction. Today has not been a good day for Brexit…

UPDATE: Ted Verity to edit Mail on Sunday.

https://order-order.com/2018/06/07/geordie-greig-new-daily-mail-editor/

Bojo :)

 

Edited by Wiltshire_snow_lover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No one cares about the customs union. Before the vote most of the public had never heard of it .  If asked would they be happy with the old common market I’m sure most Leavers would say yes fine .

Leaving the political structures and going back to the economic side only with some restrictions on freedom of movement I’m sure would win Leavers over.

Unfortunately May dug a hole , the myths surrounding Efta/EEA have grown when Brexit didn’t need to be this complicated .

But then why are some mps still pushing free movement  on the premises that  we were not asked the question   surely that is just as treacherous  as what as ever been done on the leave side  nobody as come out of this well and people on both sides of the devide will not forget   oh no post limit reached  

Edited by weirpig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

We have had a increase in business rates of over 800% since 2010 at the company i work for. And what do we get for this taxation? Nothing. Yes a increase i agree,but 800%. This is happening all over the country,the life blood(cash flow) being sucked out of the economy. Hence low growth. Its not rocket science,barriers need to be brought down,not put up. Then those who wish to graft,earn the reward they deserve.

That is what is making shops in our already quite empty high street close.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, weirpig said:

But then why are some mps still pushing free movement  on the premises that  we were not asked the question   surely that is just as treacherous  as what as ever been done on the leave side  nobody as come out of this well and people on both sides of the devide will not forget   oh no post limit reached  

I think when you drill down into the main reason Leave won it is on freedom of movement .

The other arguments were side issues . That’s not to say some didn’t vote on other things but there’s no chance of a Leave win without the former.

I understand why Leavers might refuse to compromise on immigration but in terms of the customs union and close alignment with the EU I don’t think that’s a deal breaker.

The problem is May has put out the red lines , the EU have said they are willing to be flexible if there’s some change in those lines.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

That is what is making shops in our already quite empty high street close.

Yep,it is ridiculous,these shops big medium and small employ folk,put food on tables,encourage folk to spend,increase tax revenue...what do they do? Basically bankrupt them through business rates. It is farcical and tragic,lives have been torn apart by a tax which is basically just a grab by the government to try and balance the books,sod the consequences.🤬

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Actually he isn' wrong  what I can' understand is how poll after poll showed the main reason for people voting leave was because of immigration  yet not only have we mps trying to overturn the decision we also have mps trying to force us to stay in the customs union there reasoning? Because we didn' vote for what type of deal  we wanted   hello yes we did people voted to stop immigration  thus no customs union which would allow free movement and immigration   now the unhinged on the other side constantly go on about democracy and foul play  yet  there constant trying to push through the customs union is classed as fair game   thankfully some people are not falling for it   

You either want an economy or you don't, the ones fighting to stay in some sort of trade union with the EU, realise we need  to trade with them after brexit, whether we like it or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

On the other hand I would argue that it is the leavers who are the traitors by trying to leave our friends I the lurch. 

Friends?

They are resorting to every dirty trick to see us fall.  Even yesterday they said  "Brussels has announced that it will refuse help of the UKs military after Brexit with British staff being told that their current roles will not be needed"

Fine don't come running to us when you need help. We should reciprocate by saying Britain should henceforth claim neutrality in all European wars or threats unless they directly involve a commonwealth partner.  We should withdraw all our troops from Europe and the USA should do the same.

A recent poll taken in Turkey showed that a massive 87% considered the EU to be their enemy.

I recently went on a 12 day cruise to Spain Portugal and the Canaries and being a smoker I spent many evenings on deck where all the smokers assembled.  The topic of the EU often came up with all nationalities and guess what the absolute majority hated the EU. Remember before the referendum Leavers were saying that they hardly ever met people who were going to vote to stay in.  That was dismissed as laughable too.

The EU is nowhere near as cherished in the real world and the infatuation with it on this thread is more to do with somehow appearing to look more wordly amongst the circles you move in.

Leaving our friends in the lurch.  When it comes to business its dog eat dog and up until now our mealey Government has been too soft with this bunch of money grabbers.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kent said:

Absolute garbage. Ive often posted about the stupidity of staying in a failing bloc where our trade deficit grows every year and the only profit we make with the EU is in services.

Where 80% of our economy is through services which will soon be negligible with the EU.

Do you realise that the value of the UKs exports to the rest of the world is 16 times greater than what we send to the EU.

Its a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Not only do we trade with the EU, we trade with the rest of the world through the EU - ever since I can remember our trade balance has always been in the red as far as goods are concerned but what we used to call invisible exports, now finance and services made up the difference.

There was a time when we were a great manufacturing country but we let that go, mostly through poor management, strike action and inept governments who often could not see any further that the end of their nose intent on short term gain and letting the future look after itself.

We are still beset with some of these problems, the class war is still up and running and upper management are more concerned with feathering their own nests.

Because of the shambolic manner this brexit has been handled by the government and others there is little chance that brexit will ever be a success - it will be a return to the period of early 70's - power cuts, rubbish not being collected, three day week an having to go cap in hand to the IMF, because the once good reputation we had is now being frittered away to satisfy the egos and the bank balances of mostly third rate politicians and so called captains of industry. 

You say there are people queuing up to do business with us - it is because they see the opportunity of eating us up for breakfast, only you don't see it through your rose coloured spectacles. 

At least with the EU we were holding our own and things were improving little by little. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/gdp-growth

In the link there is a table showing the recent performance in GDP of 20 countries.

The highest is the USA at 2.2, India, China Turkey and Mexico are above 1.0, the remainder are below that with Japan, Indonesia and Russia being in negative territory with the UK languishing in 17th place at 0.1. The figures are percentages.

No doubt there is a Trump factor in the USA figures but his methods don't bode to well for keeping anthropogenic global warming under control.

It would be a grave error not to appreciate that things will change during the next 30 years, they will. 

Speaking of that, this will become an increasing problem as well as the global population expected to reach 95.billion in just over 30 years time. Increasing desertification, continuing political unrest, the continuing pressure for many to relocate north are not likely to make life any easier in the coming years.

For our own security and otherwise we need to be in a larger bloc - we will be too small to tackle them on our own and these are not scare stories, they are based on up to date scientific research and I dare say that in time your children and grandchilden will not be thanking you for your brexit stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Oh dear

 

 

Yep they are changing me over to that in July, really looking forward to having nothing for a month.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Spring has sprung: Warm sunshine today and more to come this week

    At least the weather's doing its best to cheer things up in these difficult times, as spring arrives in earnest. While there'll be a few hiccups on the way, the coming week also looks fine and warm at times, particularly over England and Wales. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

    Spring warmth and sunshine this weekend but we've got to stay at home

    In normal times we'd be talking about the excellent timing of the sunshine and warmth coming through at the weekend. But of course,a0these aren't normal times, so even though temperatures could get to 20-21c in places tomorrow, we're all going to have to enjoy it from home. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...