Sign in to follow this  
Paul

UK Politics May 2015 Onward

7 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I did a search. 

Only you (and others, but not I) have used this word:

Freud would find that interesting. 😉

"Those of colour" is the term you used. Not good. This is 2018.

Not meaning to throw petrol onto the colour debate but what’s with this new term biracial .

I heard it during the coverage of the Royal Wedding and thought the reporter had made a mistake .

Its hard to keep up with these modern trends , I thought mixed race was acceptable but now that seems so last year .

Edited by nick sussex

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Not meaning to throw petrol onto the colour debate but what’s with this new term biracial .

I heard it during the coverage of the Royal Wedding and thought the reporter had made a mistake .

Its hard to keep up with these modern trends , I thought mixed race was acceptable but now that seems so last year .

God knows I can' keep up  I hear the phrase white previlge a lot also   cow me if that' aimed at me some poor bugger must really be suffering  

A few years back I once got pulled up for referring to the "coloured" guy who used to sing in the Halifax Bank adverts whilst having a normal office conversation.

The PC brigade in this case was an Indian (I think I can say that) girl who worked for me and I had recruited. As a non-racist she got the job on merit. She informed me coloured was considered offensive.

We then went on to have an interesting inteligent debate regarding the term half-caste which was widely used when I was younger. I was led to believe that it was an accurate historical term, particular in the strong class or caste system of India but I was told that this was also offensive and racist as caste is derived from "pure" and implies white is pure. Mixed race was the correct acceptable term.

I stood corrected as my ignorance and failure to keep up was no defence against the PC brigade even when no malice or racism was implied.

Now I'm struggling to remember what the current correct term for Native Americans is ....

Which reminds me... what's the correct PC term for an orange president?

Edited by kar999

10 minutes ago, kar999 said:

A few years back I once got pulled up for referring to the "coloured" guy who used to sing in the Halifax Bank adverts whilst having a normal office conversation.

The PC brigade in this case was an Indian (I think I can say that) girl who worked for me and I had recruited. As a non-racist she got the job on merit. She informed me coloured was considered offensive.

We then went on to have an interesting inteligent debate regarding the term half-caste which was widely used when I was younger. I was led to believe that it was an accurate historical term, particular in the strong class or caste system of India but I was told that this was also offensive and racist as caste is derived from "pure" and implies white is pure. Mixed race was the correct acceptable term.

I stood corrected as my ignorance and failure to keep up was no defence against the PC brigade even when no malice or racism was implied.

Now I'm struggling to remember what the current correct term for Native Americans is ....

The original race? and to think they had all those immigrants come into their country, take it over and relegate them to second class citizens. 

There's something wrong somewhere, especially when Donald Trump wants to build a wall to keep out those from south of the border, some of whom will be from the original race. 

Probably something about the winner writing history, that doesn't mean that it is true.  

Why don't these PC idiots go and get a life? Use the "n" word to a black man and they'd be more offended than the black man would. If anything, it breeds more intolerance and "anger" than anything.

Should Disney rename their franchise "the entrepreneurs of the Caribbean" incase it offends somalians?

8 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

"Those of colour" is the term you used. Not good. This is 2018.

No BB, I didn't.

In no post of mine (that I can find, looking back) do I use words in the sequence stated / in the way you claim.

Please prove with a quote or apologise.

Anyway, it's good to have learned so much about the issue of racial equality and black culture from you. It shall come in handy at the office today. I shall be sure to call them 'black' as and when it seems appropriate based on your advice, just in case. I've never called them anything of this sort (reference to skin colour) before in nearly 2 decades (why on earth would that be needed), but if it's the British thing!

Edited by scottish skier

8 hours ago, kent said:

Hows this for irony.

Labour has written a letter to the speaker regarding the safety of MPs if its a 3am Brexit vote to be held next week by suggesting that ministerial cars are laid on because London is too dangerous to travel through at that time of  night.

Oh so they don't want to experience the results they've created.

Instead of cars they should lay on mopeds and they'll fit in just fine.

Good Morning Kent

Irony indeed. the last time I checked the Home Office (in case you don't know is a Government Department run by your can do no wrong Tory chums) allocate resources to constabularies. Instead of sniping at all things Labour, try a more balanced approach. It would help inform you to tune into the Parliament Channel from time to time. Away from the Yahoo of PMQ some of the debates are very informative. Take yesterday for example there was one such discussion on Rural Policing and it did cross over from time to time to talk about urban policing too. MP's from both sides of the House agreed that forces were considerably under-resourced and examples were given that in spite of this they were also expected in some cases to carry out the work of social workers, especially at weekends as there is no one else available because of cuts in local government expenditure.

The underfunding of the Met has been highlighted by the Commissionaire in a recent speech she gave and although you like to consider it all to be the fault of the Mayor it is not as simplistic as that. Lack of local government provision such as youth services, care in the community and a raft of other services all contribute to the situation. Most of these can be laid fair and square at the present government.

When our beloved leader was Home Secretary and attended the Police Federation Conference she was warned about the probable consequences of further cuts. She ignored criticism and accused the Federation of crying wolf. It has now come home to bight her, but as is usual with this Government and their supporters they are in total denial and like to blame others for their failures. Bl***y foreigners hey after all most of them are foreigners and that is the sole reason for the crime wave,  and of course having a mayor of Asian descent only makes the problem worse. Without these we would have no problems and our streets would be as safe as the East End of Victorian times.

Kind Regards

Dave

Anyone know what 'cultural misappropriation' is all about? I've heard it levelled a' white folks (in the media) for daring to have their hair done in dreadlocks, but - up to now, at least - I await the first instance of black folks being castigated for having their hair artificially straightened...

Personally, I think that this particular 'furore' is just about the silliest instance of PC-ism to date! Let people have their hair however they please, I say?👨🏾‍🎤

Edited by Ed Stone

Good news for many brexiters.

Also, I suppose, if you want the UK to end soon (by any means).

Obviously we have net 'mass emigration' of EU workers underway now. The 'floodgates have opened' and 'plagues of them' are 'queuing up' to get out. So, we can expect plenty of these stories going forward.

The next industries to be affected will be those that depend on e.g. fruit farming. 

Edited by scottish skier

59 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

No BB, I didn't.

In no post of mine (that I can find, looking back) do I use words in the sequence stated / in the way you claim.

Please prove with a quote or apologise.

Anyway, it's good to have learned so much about the issue of racial equality and black culture from you. It shall come in handy at the office today. I shall be sure to call them 'black' as and when it seems appropriate based on your advice, just in case. I've never called them anything of this sort (reference to skin colour) before in nearly 2 decades (why on earth would that be needed), but if it's the British thing!

The uses of the word "colour or color" to describe non whites is an interesting one. After the viscous attacks on you last night I discovered that this term is used widely in South Africa and is not in anyway seen as offensive. In North America, it is, by some, seen as offensive, but is used by some non whites to describe themselves, and whilst it's not seen offensive for non whites to describe themselves as "of color", some do find it offensive if whites use the term, but not all.

It is however an old fashioned term and my Gran, who didn't have a racist bone in her body, would have used this usage, in the same way she would described the local corner shop as the "Paki" shop even though the owner might have been of Indian rather than Pakistani origin.

It is a strange world we live in and it's difficult to keep up with the changes.

8 hours ago, kar999 said:

Now I'm struggling to remember what the current correct term for Native Americans is ….

F

or an orange president, might I suggest a white anglo saxon egotistic protestant intent on building walls with bigoted views, otherwise known as an ASEPIBB.

:D

10 hours ago, kent said:

Hows this for irony.

Labour has written a letter to the speaker regarding the safety of MPs if its a 3am Brexit vote to be held next week by suggesting that ministerial cars are laid on because London is too dangerous to travel through at that time of  night.

Oh so they don't want to experience the results they've created.

Instead of cars they should lay on mopeds and they'll fit in just fine.

Conservatives are in power right now, no blame can be put on labour, other than the fact they are chancers trying to get something they do not need. It's safe enough, tell me, what is laid on for people who do night time jobs to move about at 3am, nothing. 

1 hour ago, claret047 said:

Good Morning Kent

Irony indeed. the last time I checked the Home Office (in case you don't know is a Government Department run by your can do no wrong Tory chums)

Wow man, that's really enlightening.

Im busy now ,can I ignore you some other time?

Toodle pip.

Well today is the day will their be resignations? As may is currently going down the path of keeping us in the EU by all but name, Will some Brexit heros bring her down.

10 hours ago, nick sussex said:

The Sky paper review made me laugh .

Kevin Maguire “If Brexit was a dog you’d have it put down ! “

Faisal Islam on twitter has a run down on tonight’s soap opera . And the Tories had the cheek to suggest Labour would lead a coalition of chaos .

Having said that Labour look equally inept on Brexit with Barry Gardiner spouting a load of rubbish earlier on Sky News.

The country is being failed and the public can only watch on in horror at the unfolding car crash .

They are unaware that there is a problem, and are of the view, just get on with it. They don't want to know about all the internal arguments on the subject t, or even why they are happening. In my experience with hubby and his friends. Its a pretty wide spread view with them. Other than here, I only know one other person who is looking at the mess we are in with horror. Pro brexit propaganda is still 99% effective on those who do not dig deep.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Well today is the day will their be resignations? As may is currently going down the path of keeping us in the EU by all but name, Will some Brexit heros bring her down.

Brexit Heroes?🤮 That's tantamount to calling Lord Haw Haw a 'true patriot'!:rofl: 

PS: FWIW -- in a UK politics thread -- I do believe that Native Americans prefer to be known as Indians?

Edited by Ed Stone

As with everything in society,time changes both the meaning and usage of words and phrases. Take the N word for instance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

Gibson's and the RAF's usage of the word was totally different at that time,context and usage shows how times have changed

(i wouldn't fancy standing in the main park in Rotherham calling my black lab to heel with that name,me suspects i wouldn't last long!)

10 hours ago, weirpig said:

God knows I can' keep up  I hear the phrase white previlge a lot also   cow me if that' aimed at me some poor bugger must really be suffering  

No white privilege here that's for sure, who do we complain to about discrimination, it's just words, but it does show the problem is not one sided.

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Obviously we have net 'mass emigration' of EU workers underway now. The 'floodgates have opened' and 'plagues of them' are 'queuing up' to get out. So, we can expect plenty of these stories going forward.

The next industries to be affected will be those that depend on e.g. fruit farming. 

They'll get the jobless to do it for their welfare pay, a lot of volunteer roles are carried out this way now. You'll see.

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

The uses of the word "colour or color" to describe non whites is an interesting one. After the viscous attacks on you last night I discovered that this term is used widely in South Africa and is not in anyway seen as offensive. In North America, it is, by some, seen as offensive, but is used by some non whites to describe themselves, and whilst it's not seen offensive for non whites to describe themselves as "of color", some do find it offensive if whites use the term, but not all.

It is however an old fashioned term and my Gran, who didn't have a racist bone in her body, would have used this usage, in the same way she would described the local corner shop as the "Paki" shop even though the owner might have been of Indian rather than Pakistani origin.

It is a strange world we live in and it's difficult to keep up with the changes.

Sure.

I didn't even use the term though (as implied), I placed similar factually descriptive term (applying to anyone not peely wally white in Jockland), very obviously in inverted commas, within the context of a post dripping with sarcasm about the racism of some, their fixation with the colour of people's skin, and the silliness of terminology around that.

But hey, for some it's always just stuff the truth and go for personal attacks! 

Edited by scottish skier

1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Anyone know what 'cultural misappropriation' is all about? I've heard it levelled a' white folks (in the media) for daring to have their hair done in dreadlocks, but - up to now, at least - I await the first instance of black folks being castigated for having their hair artificially straightened...

Personally, I think that this particular 'furore' is just about the silliest instance of PC-ism to date! Let people have their hair however they please, I say?👨🏾‍🎤

'cultural misappropriation'

I don't know what that means either Pete but how about 'cultural appropriation' - what a great idea - to be able to appropriate it, you must learn about it and in learning about it, it broadens your mind, expands your horizons and increases your experiences so that you can understand more about the world and its peoples. 

That sounds like a good way to keep xenophobia and bigotry at bay.

I would suggest that the term,  'cultural misappropriation' was coined by the straight laced bigoted xenophobic people to whom anything outside their normal experiences of life was an abomination simply because they do not understand - aagh! 😱

Vivre les differences - variety is the spice of life, don't knock it 'til you've tried it and all that. :D

Edited by mike Meehan

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Might it just be that our government is affected by cerebral inertia, meaning that once they have decided on a particular policy all the evidence in the world will not detract them from their declared course, or is it that their eyed and ears have an extremely efficient filtering system that these things never get through?

Strange really, most people I know learn through experience and are open to modifying their plans as necessary even to the extent of dropping them altogether if it turns out that the original plan was flawed.  

2 minutes ago, mike Meehan said:

'cultural misappropriation'

I don't know what that means either Pete but how about 'cultural appropriation' - what a great idea - to be able to appropriate it, you must learn about it and in learning about it, it broadens your mind, expands your horizons and increases your experiences so that you can understand more about the world and its peoples. 

That sounds like a good way to keep xenophobia and bigotry at bay.

I would suggest that the term,  'cultural misappropriation' was coined by the straight laced bigoted xenophobic people to whom anything outside their normal experiences of life was an abomination simply because they do not understand - aagh! 😱

Vivre les differences - variety is the spice of life, don't knock it 'til you've tried it and all that. :D

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure whether it was 'mis' or not (I guess not!)...Whatever, I guess the epithet 'straight laced xenophobic people...' does not only apply to us 'honkies'. Not that anyone with half-a-brain (or just in need of a convenient straw-man hypothesis) has ever suggested that it does...?:good:

Sometimes, however (having listened to all the jingoistic, racist and xenophobic drivel that's doing the rounds just now) I do sometimes wonder: do I betray my race whenever I partake of a lamb tikka, jerk chicken or kebab?:shok:

If I am indulging in repeated acts of racial/cultural betrayal then so be it - I will continue so to do!👨🏾‍🍳